RE: [jacksongenealogy] Early Alabama Hill Families & DNA

  • Vicki L Hill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2011
      >Can you tell me anything more about your Absalom b. Tn in 1818? If there were any connections, he’s the most promising avenue to uncover them.

      Absolum (many different spellings of that name!) was on the 1850 and 1860 census for Jackson Co. He is not on the 1870 census, but his wife Caroline is also on the 1870 and 1880 census in Jackson Co. I don’t know where either of them are buried. (One researcher long ago told me he thought Caroline moved to Texas in her later years with family, but I haven’t run across any evidence of that.)

      They had 7 children that I’m aware of:

      1) George Washington Hill, b. 1843 TN. He married Martha A. Frances Gattis, was in Jackson Co. for the 1850, 1860, 1870 census, then had moved to Franklin Co., TN for the 1880 census. I don’t know what happened to this family, or their 6 children (as of 1880) after that.

      2) Lydia Elvada Hill, b. 1845 TN. She married William Fanning Graham. I found her in the 1850, 1860 and 1880 census in Jackson Co., with 6 children in 1880. I don’t know what happened to them after that.

      3) Margaret Riddie Hill, b. 1847, Franklin Co., TN. She married Thomas D. Fanning. They had 6 children and stayed in the area, as she died in Madison Co., AL in 1920.

      4) William L. Hill, b. 1850 in Jackson Co. He married a woman with the last name of Harris, first name hard to read – could be Adie, or Allie, or Allis – on Dec 15, 1880 in Jackson Co. I don’t know what happened to them after that.

      5) Benjamin J. Hill, b. 1852, Jackson Co. He married Rachel A. Langston in 1879 in Jackson Co. She and their son John Henry Hill are in the 1880 census, living with William A. and Martha Elizabeth Hinshaw. Rachel is listed as sister-in-law; Martha is her sister. No idea what happened to these Hills after the 1880 census.

      6) John Anderson Hill, b. 1854, Jackson Co., died 1937 in Rusk Co., TX. – my great-grandfather. He married Rebecca Jane Vandiver in Jackson Co. They moved to Denton Co., TX, where Rebecca’s uncle was living. From there they moved to Clark Co., Arkansas, where he became a minister, then back to Texas, settling in Rusk Co. They had 12 children, only 4 of whom lived beyond the age of 30.

      7) A. Wallace Hill, b. 1859, Jackson Co. He married Eliza Jacks in 1879 in Franklin Co., TN. They had a child, Sarah Ellen Hill, born June 1882 in Jackson Co. I presume he died about then, because Eliza married John Anderson Dolberry in Oct 1882.

      I have copies of 4 deeds where Absolum bought land in 1859 and 1860. These deeds were filed in Huntsville.

      Vicki Hill

      Texas