RE: [jacksongenealogy] Early Alabama Hill Families & DNA

  • Fran Hill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
      Bill—I will definitely keep you in the loop if I (and a fevered group of researching cousins) ever succeed in making any progress with our Alabama Hill ancestors. You have no idea how much I would love to trace those AL Hills back to TN and NC where the bulk of the Hills I know about in my Hill line are born. Please keep me in mind, too.

      Vicki—talk about intriguing remarks! DNA test results for my AL Hills place them squarely in Family Group 23, not Group 4, but when your father’s results posted, they certainly caught my eye, as does your research in general-- I am a fan. The overlap of family names—John, Absolom/Absolem, Thomas (and even Thomas Jefferson!), Wallace/Willace, etc. , between our respective lines is heady stuff, but the DNA evidence appears to support the theory of our two Hill lines in AL being genetically unrelated as you say.

      Can you tell me anything more about your Absalom b. Tn in 1818? If there were any connections, he’s the most promising avenue to uncover them.

      Thank you both for responding. Please let’s stay in touch. Best, Fran

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
        fran i have read that my hills come from s. carolina. that is my gggrandfather
        holden hill was born there in 1813. my brewer line comes from n carolina. my
        notes say pitt county

        ________________________________

        I’ve done quite a bit of research, but haven’t had much time to do genealogy
        over the past 8 months. But your comment intrigued me.

        As far as I have been able to determine (and remember without getting all my
        records out right now), there were two early Hill families in Jackson County, AL
        who were genetically unrelated. One family was in the Paint Rock Valley; the
        other was near Bridgeport. My father, now age 92, has had the DNA testing and
        conclusively is connected to the Paint Rock Valley branch:

        - Thomas Hill (living; born Rusk Co, TX)

        - Thomas Jefferson Hill (1897 born Rusk Co, TX – 1918)

        - John Anderson Hill (1854 born Paint Rock Valley – 1937)

        - Absalom Hill (1818 born Tennessee – between 1860-1870)

        Absalom & family moved to the Paint Rock Valley between 1847 and 1850.

        The Thomas Barnes papers in the Tennessee state archives show that Benjamin
        Jefferson Hill, born 1783, and wife Rebecca Wallace, had a son, A. Hill, who had
        moved to the Paint Rock Valley of Alabama by the time Benjamin died in 1852.
        Benjamin’s parents were Isaac Hill and Lucinda Wallace. The Isaac Hill line is
        relatively well researched by others for several more generations back…and the
        DNA matches with the Absalom Hill line. Also, both Absalom Hill and John
        Anderson Hill named a son Wallace, another suggestion that this is the correct
        linkage. Both Isaac and Benjamin Hill died in Warren County, TN…about 70 miles
        from where A. Hill had moved at the northern end of the Paint Rock Valley.

        I don’t have a full listing of the children of Benjamin Jefferson Hill. Two of
        his sons had moved to Robertson County, TX, and predeceased Benjamin.

        Given the location of your Hill family in the 1800’s, it is relatively likely
        that you are connected to these. Have you done the DNA test and, if so, do you
        also belong to the Isaac Hill DNA group?

        Vicki Hill

        Texas

        > hi fran and thank you for responding. id love to find some of my hill and
        sanders kin in al but i dont think im kin to your hills. my ggfather was thomas
        hill but born in 1858 i think. his son john franklin is my grandfather born in
        paint rock in 1883. my grand mother is eva jane sanders born in paint rock in
        1886. they both lived in the paint rock valley up and down what is now highway
        65. im trying to write a family history so if you know any of my family please
        put them in touch with me. thank you again. bill hill

      • Vicki L Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2011
          >Can you tell me anything more about your Absalom b. Tn in 1818? If there were any connections, he’s the most promising avenue to uncover them.

          Absolum (many different spellings of that name!) was on the 1850 and 1860 census for Jackson Co. He is not on the 1870 census, but his wife Caroline is also on the 1870 and 1880 census in Jackson Co. I don’t know where either of them are buried. (One researcher long ago told me he thought Caroline moved to Texas in her later years with family, but I haven’t run across any evidence of that.)

          They had 7 children that I’m aware of:

          1) George Washington Hill, b. 1843 TN. He married Martha A. Frances Gattis, was in Jackson Co. for the 1850, 1860, 1870 census, then had moved to Franklin Co., TN for the 1880 census. I don’t know what happened to this family, or their 6 children (as of 1880) after that.

          2) Lydia Elvada Hill, b. 1845 TN. She married William Fanning Graham. I found her in the 1850, 1860 and 1880 census in Jackson Co., with 6 children in 1880. I don’t know what happened to them after that.

          3) Margaret Riddie Hill, b. 1847, Franklin Co., TN. She married Thomas D. Fanning. They had 6 children and stayed in the area, as she died in Madison Co., AL in 1920.

          4) William L. Hill, b. 1850 in Jackson Co. He married a woman with the last name of Harris, first name hard to read – could be Adie, or Allie, or Allis – on Dec 15, 1880 in Jackson Co. I don’t know what happened to them after that.

          5) Benjamin J. Hill, b. 1852, Jackson Co. He married Rachel A. Langston in 1879 in Jackson Co. She and their son John Henry Hill are in the 1880 census, living with William A. and Martha Elizabeth Hinshaw. Rachel is listed as sister-in-law; Martha is her sister. No idea what happened to these Hills after the 1880 census.

          6) John Anderson Hill, b. 1854, Jackson Co., died 1937 in Rusk Co., TX. – my great-grandfather. He married Rebecca Jane Vandiver in Jackson Co. They moved to Denton Co., TX, where Rebecca’s uncle was living. From there they moved to Clark Co., Arkansas, where he became a minister, then back to Texas, settling in Rusk Co. They had 12 children, only 4 of whom lived beyond the age of 30.

          7) A. Wallace Hill, b. 1859, Jackson Co. He married Eliza Jacks in 1879 in Franklin Co., TN. They had a child, Sarah Ellen Hill, born June 1882 in Jackson Co. I presume he died about then, because Eliza married John Anderson Dolberry in Oct 1882.

          I have copies of 4 deeds where Absolum bought land in 1859 and 1860. These deeds were filed in Huntsville.

          Vicki Hill

          Texas