Paint Rock Valley Hill family [was: WHO WAS PEARL BILLINGTON'S HUSBAND }

  • Vicki L Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2011
      I’ve done quite a bit of research, but haven’t had much time to do genealogy over the past 8 months. But your comment intrigued me.

      As far as I have been able to determine (and remember without getting all my records out right now), there were two early Hill families in Jackson County, AL who were genetically unrelated. One family was in the Paint Rock Valley; the other was near Bridgeport. My father, now age 92, has had the DNA testing and conclusively is connected to the Paint Rock Valley branch:

      - Thomas Hill (living; born Rusk Co, TX)

      - Thomas Jefferson Hill (1897 born Rusk Co, TX – 1918)

      - John Anderson Hill (1854 born Paint Rock Valley – 1937)

      - Absalom Hill (1818 born Tennessee – between 1860-1870)

      Absalom & family moved to the Paint Rock Valley between 1847 and 1850.

      The Thomas Barnes papers in the Tennessee state archives show that Benjamin Jefferson Hill, born 1783, and wife Rebecca Wallace, had a son, A. Hill, who had moved to the Paint Rock Valley of Alabama by the time Benjamin died in 1852. Benjamin’s parents were Isaac Hill and Lucinda Wallace. The Isaac Hill line is relatively well researched by others for several more generations back…and the DNA matches with the Absalom Hill line. Also, both Absalom Hill and John Anderson Hill named a son Wallace, another suggestion that this is the correct linkage. Both Isaac and Benjamin Hill died in Warren County, TN…about 70 miles from where A. Hill had moved at the northern end of the Paint Rock Valley.

      I don’t have a full listing of the children of Benjamin Jefferson Hill. Two of his sons had moved to Robertson County, TX, and predeceased Benjamin.

      Given the location of your Hill family in the 1800’s, it is relatively likely that you are connected to these. Have you done the DNA test and, if so, do you also belong to the Isaac Hill DNA group?

      Vicki Hill

      Texas

      > hi fran and thank you for responding. id love to find some of my hill and
      sanders kin in al but i dont think im kin to your hills. my ggfather was thomas
      hill but born in 1858 i think. his son john franklin is my grandfather born in
      paint rock in 1883. my grand mother is eva jane sanders born in paint rock in
      1886. they both lived in the paint rock valley up and down what is now highway
      65. im trying to write a family history so if you know any of my family please
      put them in touch with me. thank you again. bill hill