WHO WAS PEARL BILLINGTON'S HUSBAND - A COSBY GENTLEMAN or A CROSBY GENTLEMAN ??

  • TOM F DUNKLIN
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
      Still searching and not much success. I really need to hear from someone able to
      help me with my search. Is it possible that I've spent hour after hour
      looking for the wrong Pearl? The fact that the Cosby line is shown in vital
      records as both COsby and CRosby hasn't helped, either. I'm looking for Frank
      Cosby/Crosby's wife & children without much success. Until recently, Frank was
      last found living in the home of his father, Hugh/Uriah W, on the 1900 Jackson
      Co AL census. Frank's mother's maiden name was WILSON.

      A Cosby Bible shows that Frank Cosby, born ca 1882 in AL, was married to a lady
      named Pearl. There is no maiden name given. It also shows that they had 2
      children named Thomas J and Marie. If I've found the right children, Thomas J
      was born ca 1924 in TX and Marie in 1923 in OK. A notation in that bible said
      that Pearl was probably still alive and that she would, at that time, be 90
      years old. If I have the right Pearl, these notations to the bible were probably
      made ca 1980.

      Here is what I have found about Pearl.......if, in fact, I have the right Pearl:

      Pearl Billington, d/o John Lewis Billington and Sallie Lula Price Billington.
      She was born ca 1890 in TX, probably around Montague County, and died in 1986.
      She married a COsby or CRosby man ca 1916, unknown where. I can not find Frank
      or Pearl in a 1920 census but I do find her in 1930 living with her parents
      in Jackson Co, OK. Also shown are children, Thomas J CRosby and Marie CRosby.
      There goes the spelling thing, again! I discover that Frank COsby died in 1949
      in Kern Co CA and the record shows that his mother's maiden name is Wilson. This
      is proof to me that this is the right Frank. After much looking, I find a Pearl
      COsby buried in Kern Co CA in Greenlawn Cemetery with the right dates. I also
      find a Thomas J COsby buried in the same cemetery, as well. Again, the dates
      match. I have not yet been able to find where Frank or Marie are buried. I have
      found Pearl's death record in Kern Co CA and it gives her father's surname as
      Billington and her mother as Price. I've found her Social Security record; it
      says that  it was issued in CA before 1951 and that her last address was in Kern
      Co CA. The birth and death dates match Pearl.

      To me, this all pretty much assumes that Frank COsby/CRosby was married to Pearl
      Billington, except......researchers seem to think that Pearl's husband was named
      Thomas Cosby. I've found nothing to indicate that his name could have been
      Thomas Frank and I've found nothing to indicate that Frank's name was Thomas
      Frank. So far, I've found no record with both Pearl's name and her husband's
      name on the same document. The only thing I've found is a 1920 census showing a
      T H COZBY and a Pearl COZBY. They are living in Oklahoma City, OK and have no
      children. If this is really Pearl Billington Cosby/Crosby, that would be due to
      the fact that Thomas J and Marie haven't yet been born. And if this is really
      Pearl Billington, then her husband's name seems to be T. H. and I don't see how
      the name of Frank fits in.

      There is such confusion here and the spelling of Cosby/Crosby has been such a
      hinderance. I really need help. Have I spent such a long, long time searching
      for the wrong Pearl? Oh, I hope not!

      Any and all help/suggestions/theories would be much appreciated.

      Paula

    • Judy wILSON
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
        Hi,  I would suggest you calling the Main Library in Kern County, California and asking for a copy of their obituaries.  There may be a small charge, but it might have alot of information that you could use.

        Also, I found Pearl's parents and 5 siblings - on findagrave.  The father's name is John Lewis Billington  b. 11/23/1868 d. 2/27/1944.  Mother was Sallie Lula Price/Billington b. 1871 d. 1966.  They are both buried at Victory Cemetery, Altus, Jackson County, Oklahoma.  Three of the children are buried there with them, another at Restlawn Memorial Park in Jackson Co, Ok and one in Altus Cemetery, Jackson Co, Ok.  All of these people are linked together already.

        I would contact Findagrave and try to get the two memorials on Pearl and her son transferred to you, since the contributor is no longer participating.  Then you could link them together and link Pearl to her parents.

        I also found dates on Annie Pearl Billington b. 9/23/1890, Tx d. 10/16/1986 in Kern Co, California.

        Maybe this will help you in some way.  They are no kin to me, just trying to help.
        Sincerely,   Judy K. Brantley/Wilson

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
          write to danny russell in sunset, texas. he is my cousin and his family has been
          postmasters in montague county for years. our family moved from jackson county
          al to montague co. tx in 1912. he or his dad kenneth russell may be able to help
          you. bill hill

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
            Thanks for the reply, Bill. I would love to contact Danny Russell; do you happen
            to have his address or his email address? Or, can you tell me how to find his
            address? I'm open to trying anything that might help me in my search.

            Regards,
            Paula

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
              I would suggest instead of calling the main library in Kern County or town of Bakersfield, that you go on to www.raogk.org/listing.htm and go to Kern County volunteer and ask for an obit lookup. Try Carl Smith, he has helped me and does a good job. The site is free volunteers and should only charge for copy where as the library may charge $5.00 +

              Jim G

              Fresno, CA

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2011
                Bill—is your family related to a Jackson County AL Hill family whose earliest ancestor I can trace is a Thomas Allen Hill b. about 1808 in TN—he marries Nancy Unknown, also born in TN about 1810. They are said to move to the area outside Bridgeport in their late teens or early twenties and have the first of their 9 children, Ellis G. Hill, in 1828. Other children include Martha, James, Angelina, Thomas Jefferson, Manda, Crissie, Louisa and Sophrona. I have a few more names and dates I am happy to provide if these names ring any bells.

                Some of Thomas and Nancy’s descendants do move to Texas about the time you say your family did. I know there is more than one Hill family line living in Bridgeport area around this time, but I am not able to keep them all straight. Despite lots of digging over the years, I haven’t been able to find any earlier connection to Thomas Allen and Nancy, even though I believe I am closely related to these two through some NC/Tennessee Hill lines. I ‘d be tremendously grateful for any suggestions or leads. Many thanks and Happy New Year to you all! Fran Hill

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
                  hi fran and thank you for responding. id love to find some of my hill and
                  sanders kin in al but i dont think im kin to your hills. my ggfather was thomas
                  hill but born in 1858 i think. his son john franklin is my grandfather born in
                  paint rock in 1883. my grand mother is eva jane sanders born in paint rock in
                  1886. they both lived in the paint rock valley up and down what is now highway
                  65. im trying to write a family history so if you know any of my family please
                  put them in touch with me. thank you again. bill hill

                  ________________________________

                  From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >
                  To: Cosby@... <mailto:Cosby%40rootsweb.com>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
                    sorry paula i dont have his address but he has a box number in sunset and its a
                    tiny town so just use any number and he will probably get it. i know him but
                    havent seen him in several years and am not in touch with him. i live in
                    amarillo which is about 300 miles away

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
                      Is your Thomas's wife Margaret Brewer b Oct 1855, Jackson AL died 1935 Hedley, Donley, TX, USA (my data on Thomas he was b Oct 1853 AL, d 1914 Montague, TX.)

                      We have much common family in Montague; Sunset, Dallas, Dry Valley (Brown, Brashear, Sanders, Messer). My data ends in this family with John Franklin Hill b Mar 1833 d 1972 Hedley, Olney, TX, wife: Eva Jan Sanders b 1886 Paint Rock, Jackson, AL; d 1967 Hedley, Donley, TX; she was the daughter of John Wesley Sander and Margaret Brewer (1855-1935) (Margaret's father was Carroll Jackson Brewer (1834-1880).

                      Love to exchange information,

                      Cuz Jimmie

                      From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
                        jimmie, you are correct thomas hill married margaret brewer. his father was
                        holden hill. john franklin hill died in hedley tx which is donley county. eva
                        jane sanders was the daughter of john wesley sanders and mattie jane evans.
                        wiley brewer was margarets brother i think. he moved to texas first, then was
                        followed by john f hill and family. are you kin to the brewer line or just the
                        hill?

                        ________________________________

                        From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >
                        To: Cosby@... <mailto:Cosby%40rootsweb.com>

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011
                          That is difficult to answer: our connection is through all of them: Brewer, Hill, Evans, Sanders and many more cousin.

                          Jimmie

                          From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >
                          To: Cosby@... <mailto:Cosby%40rootsweb.com>

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 8, 2011
                            are you pretty much informed on our family history then? id like to find out
                            about what has happened to the rest of the family plus facts from my
                            grandparents lives before i knew them

                            ________________________________

                            From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >
                            To: Cosby@... <mailto:Cosby%40rootsweb.com>

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 15, 2011
                              jimmie, id like to stay in touch with you or someone you may know in the family
                              who could tell me what has happened to the brothers and sisters of my
                              hill-sanders grandp[arents and their children. several of my grandmothers family
                              visited her in texas. i remember uncle charlie and uncle jess and roy and sb
                              sanders but i dont know what happened to them. i have a lot of questions about
                              the family. im trying to write a family history for my famiy here. thanks bill
                              hill

                              From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@... <mailto:dunk1432%40verizon.net> >
                              To: Cosby@... <mailto:Cosby%40rootsweb.com>