Re: [jacksongenealogy] ANY OF THESE COURTHOUSE RECORDS ..

  • Roger Burbank
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
      Hi group, I have been going thru microfilms from Jackson Co. over the last month. WOW WOW and WOW.  I ordered probate records and probate minutes on my Williams line from LDS. It has helped my reseach a great deal. The undertaking of getting the material for photo copying them on microfilm must have been a massive project. Thankyou Ann.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
        If those who were involved are willing to share, I would be interested to know how they flattened the documents without damaging them. I am facing the need to do that with some family documents of our own.

      • Ann B. Chambless
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
          On 12/20/2010 3:53 PM, Karl Plenge wrote:

          > If those who were involved are willing to share, I would be interested
          > to know how they flattened the documents without damaging them. I am
          > facing the need to do that with some family documents of our own.
          >

          > JCHA members simply opened the folded documents (95 per cent were
          > folded more than one way) and smoothed each out with their gloved
          > hands. Then we placed all in acid free folders. The process was
          > not laborious.....just time consuming. Of course, most of us had to
          > stop and read every document we held in our hands before we placed it
          > in its folder.
          Ann B. Chambless

          > .

        • Karl Plenge
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
            > Of course, most of us had to
            > stop and read every document we held in our hands before we placed it
            > in its folder.

            Yes! I would too. When I go to a library and look at newspapers on microfilm it's hard for me to get anything done because I want to read every article.

            Thank you for the information on the documents.

          • James Gillespie
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 20, 2010
              I just recently transcribed probate records for Andrew McCoy from 1868-1870, 1872-1874, and 1875-1875. I ordered the microfilm from the Salt Lake Family History Library and read them at the local Family History Center. It was not easy reading and understanding the writing style and of course the age of the records were somewhat faded. It worked with a good microfilm reader/copy machine. I now know more of Andrew McCoy’s life and family. They will be part of my book on my McCoy’s

              It was well worth the effort.

              Jim G

              On 12/20/2010 11:18 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

              > The loose records in the Courthouse basement were flattened and
              > scanned by the LDS a few years ago with the help of the Jackson County
              > Historical Association. Ann B. Chambless can give you the full
              > details. I do not believe that any of the records there were marriage
              > records. Mostly I think they were records dealing with land and
              > estates. I don't think any of the records they scanned are on the
              > internet, I did not find it on the LDS Library's list for Jackson
              > County's records. Clay
              >

              > Clay, you covered the facts in the above statement. There were no
              > loose marriage records! As Clay said, these records are not on the
              > internet; however, anyone can order/rent from LDS (for a fee) the
              > Jackson County estate records that were microfilmed after they were
              > flattened by the JCHA. Roger Burbank can attest to the quality of
              > the microfilm he ordered and read last week via his local LDS Library.

              Ann B. Chambless

              > Switch to: Text-Only
              > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional%40yahoogroups.com> ?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
              > Daily Digest
              > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest%40yahoogroups.com> ?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
              > • Unsubscribe
              > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> ?subject=Unsubscribe>
              > • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
              > .

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 21, 2010
                Hi!

                Were any of these records pre Civil War? I thought I had been through all pre Civil War Jackson County LDS microfilmed records. I hope now that I've missed some.

                Rboert Schneider

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                > The loose records in the Courthouse basement were flattened and scanned by the LDS a few years ago with the help of the Jackson County Historical Association. Ann B. Chambless can give you the full details. I do not believe that any of the records there were marriage records. Mostly I think they were records dealing with land and estates. I don't think any of the records they scanned are on the internet, I did not find it on the LDS Library's list for Jackson County's records.
                >
                > Clay
              • Annette Norris Bradford
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 24, 2010
                  On 12/20/2010 2:16 PM, Ann B. Chambless wrote:

                  > On 12/20/2010 11:18 AM, Clay Gullatt wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The loose records in the Courthouse basement were flattened and
                  > > scanned by the LDS a few years ago with the help of the Jackson County
                  > > Historical Association. Ann B. Chambless can give you the full
                  > > details. I do not believe that any of the records there were marriage
                  > > records. Mostly I think they were records dealing with land and
                  > > estates. I don't think any of the records they scanned are on the
                  > > internet, I did not find it on the LDS Library's list for Jackson
                  > > County's records. Clay
                  > >

                  > > Clay, you covered the facts in the above statement. There were no
                  > > loose marriage records! As Clay said, these records are not on the
                  > > internet; however, anyone can order/rent from LDS (for a fee) the
                  > > Jackson County estate records that were microfilmed after they were
                  > > flattened by the JCHA. Roger Burbank can attest to the quality of
                  > > the microfilm he ordered and read last week via his local LDS Library.
                  > >
                  > Ann B. Chambless

                  > > Switch to: Text-Only
                  > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional%40yahoogroups.com>?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
                  >
                  > > Daily Digest
                  > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest%40yahoogroups.com>?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
                  >
                  > > • Unsubscribe
                  > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>?subject=Unsubscribe>
                  >
                  > > • Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                  > > .

                  Does the library have a copy of this microfilm?

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 26, 2010
                    A copy of the micofilm was given to the JCHA which in turn placed it in the Jackson County Library.

                    To see a complete list of what is available at the Probate Court see Ann B. Chambless' message #8262 dtd 17 Mar 2007 titled; Re: Probate Office.

                    Clay