MOUNT ZION Church on Mud Creek

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2010
      I found a deed of interest in Jackson County Deed Book G, page 263,
      dated June 9, 1856, whereby Nelson Kyle, as Administrator of the estate
      of E(dward) G(reen) Kyle, deeded to John Bryant and Elijah English "one
      acre of ground to include the grave yard at the place called Mount Zion
      on Mud Creek in consideration of the sum of $2.00."
      NOTE: Mud Creek runs parallel with and a short distance from the back
      (south side) of this cemetery.
      This one acre plot was located in the West half of the Southeast quarter
      of Section 2, Township 3, Range 6 East. Section 2 covers the 640 acres
      on the east side of the community of Carns. The West half of the
      Southeast quarter is located south of County Road 42 that runs east and
      west from Carns to Fackler. This is the area where William, Josiah, and
      Joshua Womack; George, Smith, and Willis Brown; Williams S. Corn;
      Randolph Bryant (son of John Bryant); and Sarah Kyle (widow of Edward
      Green Kyle) lived at the time of the 1840 census.
      There is an old cemetery located at the end of a short narrow side road
      that runs south from CO RD 42. I have never found this cemetery named
      on a TVA topo map, so I don't know the old or original name of this
      cemetery. The earliest inscribed marker in this cemetery records the
      death of JAMES M. FRENCH who died January 14, 1831, age 8 months and 8
      days. There was a Penny French who was an early member of the Mud Creek
      Primitive Baptist Church, and I think she was the wife of the John C.
      French who purchased land in Section 3, Township 3, Range 6 East, in
      1830. Section 3 is contigious to Section 2 described above and covers
      the west side of Carns.
      Other very early residents of this area included James Taylor and James
      and Piercy Blagg. Piercy Blagg was a charter member of the Mud Creek
      Primitive Baptist Church founded in December 1819.
      QUESTION: Does anyone know the old or official name of the cemetery
      described above?
      Was Mount Zion the original name of the cemetery only as opposed to
      being the name of a church that included a cemetery?
      Could this have been the location of the first church building built by
      the charter members of the Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church in 1820?
      Ann B. Chambless