Re: [jacksongenealogy] WHEN ALABAMA became ALABAMA

  • Anne P. Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
      I will certainly let you know if I learn anything more about the
      migration from KY to AL. Archibald and his family (he married a
      Gilreath) came from Whitley County, KY. They had earlier left Wilkes
      Co., NC for KY, so that might be a clue of some sort.

    • nsiler504@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
        I have information about Joseph Thomas. My father is descended from this line. Some of the early information is from census records and old Bibles. Some is only rumor handed down from generation to generation.

        We are probably descended from people in Wales and whether it was Ky or not is a question. Property lines and state divisions were so sketchy that it is probably true.

        On the question of property lines something that has bothered me for about two years. Someone stole the copper marker that divided Tennessee and Alabama in the Doran's Cove-Russell Cave area. How low can some stoop?

        Nancy

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
          Nancy: You and I have communicated, maybe by phone or possibly by email. And I realize that you live there in the Cove. I did not realize that you descended from the Thomas family. Nor that bible records existed. This winter I would like to come see you. I have talked to the woman that owns both Jacks's and Les's farms and I want to go to see if we can spot where the original cabin was and take pictures of both farms.

          Also, I heard a good part of life that the family had Cherokee blood but I now really doubt it. Comments?

          Jerry Triplett
          Chattanooga

          Thank you for this wealth of information. We are so lucky to have your
          expertise as part of this list. If my ancestor falls into the category
          below (moved to Jackson Co., before 1830), how would I go about
          researching whether he was a squatter or one of those who bought part
          of a Cherokee reservation? Is there a resource that contains this
          information?

          I am researching the Jacoway family. My Archibald Jacoway came to
          Jackson Co., from KY. In April 1818, he is mentioned as Captain of a
          company of militia, Whitley County, KY. In 1820, he is listed in the
          Census for Whitley Co., KY. And then BET 1823 AND 1825, he is Justice
          of the Peace, in Jackson Co., AL. And then in 1837 - "October 26, 1837
          - Seventeen companies (60 to 84 men each) of North Alabama Mounted
          Volunteers commanded by Col. Benjamin Snodgrass responded to a call to
          fight the Seminole Indians in Central FL. The men were mustered in on
          26 oct 1837 and discharged 12 april 1838 at Turkeytown. Captain of
          Company I was Archibald Jacoway." He died in 1844 and is buried in
          Jackson County.

          Also, were there any other families identified as migrating from KY,
          that you know of?

          Thank you,
          Anne Johnson

          On Sep 30, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Ann B. Chambless wrote:

          > IF your ancestors moved to what became Jackson County, AL, before
          > June 1830, they would have been "squatters" UNLESS they bought all
          or
          > some part of one of the Cherokee reservations granted to Cherokee
          > heads
          > of households in 1817 and 1819. Only those reservations granted in
          fee
          > simple could be legally sold by the Cherokee reservee.

        • John Green
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
            Alexander REID was born 9/12/1804 somewhere in Kentucky he married Ann TRICE and died 9/9/1892 in Estill Fork, AL. I don't know when he/they moved down here so this doesn't help except to say that more than one family made the trip.

            John M. Green

          • jean copeland
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
              Jerry - you may not remember, but a couple of years ago, you sent me information on the Thomas family.  My great grandmother, Ruhama Catherine Payne, father was Archibald Thomas, whose father I believe was Joseph Thomas.  In Grandmother Paynes death news clipping of May 29, 1930, it mentioned that her grandfather came directly from Ireland.in early pioneer days settling in Doran's Cove.  In the last few years, I have had major personal problems, which culminated in my husband's death of lung cancer
              April 12, 2010.  So, my ancestry investigation was put on hold.  When I saw your post, I would really like to see the bible records, too.  I live in Arkansas right outside of Jonesboro and don't travel a lot by myself.  If it would not be too much trouble, could you let me know some of the information that you get in Bridgeport?  It would be appreciated.

              Jean Copeland

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
                Jerry, do the names Charles M West and Peggy Dean Holder ring a bell?
                That is the only connection I could find this morning. There are probably
                more but I am pressed for time.

                I actually teach in Chattanooga at a private school.

                Are you the nephew or something to Miss Lena Lee?

                The best source of information for the Thomas family is at the Heritage
                House behind the square in Scottsboro, Alabama. There my cousin Dot Bean
                connected me to Ben Thomas. Ben will not use a computer and laughed at me
                because I lost lots of info when my computer was struck by lightning. I had
                to retype things and still am not finished.

                I knew that my maternal grandmother had been reared by Uncle George Thomas
                who was married to her Aunt Tennie. What I didn't know until Dot, Ben and
                I compared information was that my paternal grandfather descended from the
                Thomas line. That is probably how they met. My grandmother was taken by
                the Thomas family after her mother died in childbirth. Daddy always
                thought of them as his true grandparents and knew little about his mother's
                actual paternal side. Aunt Tennie was a Choate from New Hope---probably the
                Alabama side.

                I have the Choate family Bible. The information that Ben and I have
                collected is stored in the Heritage House. Whenever there are updates we try to
                take it there. With my teaching schedule I find it difficult to get
                there. The time change is part of it.

                The information at the Heritage is backed by names of people. Some have
                recollection from personal knowledge and others have family Bibles. There
                are copied pictures with this documentation.

                The major thing that I discovered is that those whom I thought were family
                friends were actually family.

                I have two pictures of Mary Margarette "Maggie" Thomas Payne. She was my
                dad's grandmother. I only discovered that in the last few years when
                looking through old pictures of my parents. On the back, in my childish
                handwriting, I had written Grandma Maggie Daddy's grandmother. In one of the
                pictures are her husband and children with a couple of extra children. I would
                not take anything for it.

                Nancy

              • jrytrplt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
                  Nancy: I am both a Thomas and a Triplett. Mary Thomas was my mother; died in '95. Jerry Triplett died in 1950 in a construction accident. I glanced at your email and know probably all of the names. I'll read in detail later. I find it impossible to get to Scottsboro to the Heritage Center because of the way I work. I know Ben and have talked to him some. I also know Dot having been there one time.
                  JET

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                    Jerry

                    The William who enlisted Joseph Thomas at Bridgeport is William T. Gunter.