When Alabama Became Alabama

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      An Act of Congress 03 Mar 1817 created the Territory of Alabama, the act was to become effective when Mississippi passed a state constitution which it did 15 Aug 1817 which triggered the law making Alabama a territory. The history I have read says the western part of Jackson Co. had white settlers living in it as early as 1810 they were coming from Madison Co. MS Terr. and TN.

      A court case arose in 1817 Culpeper Co. VA against the estate of my GGGgrandmonther Ann Nancy (Wiggiton) Mitchell the suit named all her children among those named was Catherine Mitchell married John Golat now living in Alabama 1817. I don't have the exact month but Alabama was Alabama in 1817.  They left Lincoln Co. Ga 1815/16 last children b. GA 1815, twins James M. and Thomas J. b. AL 1820, Grandmother said at Bellefonte. They may haved stopped in TN before moving on to the Bellefonte area as Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant's son John was b. in TN. They probably came up the GA road to Chattanooga and came down the TN River.

      Bellefonte was Incorporated as the County Seat 12/18/1821 probably because they had the most settlers.

      Isaac and Jeminia Clark's family also was one of the first to settle near Bellefonte. He and his family had to leave TN because Isaac a gunsmith and blacksmith was accused of selling guns and gun powder to the Indians. Isaac settled on the river most of his land is now under water.

      My GGGgrandfather Robert Harper moved from Bedford Co. VA to Madison Co. by 1809, he and his son John Payne Harper are listed on various tax lists in Madison Co. John Payne Harper m. Martha "Patsy" (Phillips) Harper 1813 in Madison Co. before they moved to Jackson Co. and settled in the Larkinsville area before 1830. Martha "Patsy" Phillips was b. 1796 in Kentucky, I have never discovered who her parents were.

      Everyone was squatters (unless they had bought it from the Indian res.) on land they later patented as was likely with people who started patenting land in 1830 only 3 patents with the rush to patent starting in 1831.