WHEN ALABAMA became ALABAMA

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
      Another great source of early Alabama history was written by Albert
      James Pickett in 1851. The following are facts to be gained by reading
      Mr. Pickett's HISTORY OF ALABAMA AND INCIDENTALLY OF GEORGIA AND
      MISSISSIPPI, FROM THE EARLIEST PERIOD:
      1. There was no such thing as Alabama until 1817 when the Alabama
      Territory was formed from the Mississippi Territory.
      2. IF your ancestors were in what is now the State of Alabama before
      1817, they would have had to say they lived in the Mississippi Territory.
      3. Only IF your ancestors moved to what is now the State of Alabama in
      or after December 1819, could they have told their old neighbors they
      were moving to Alabama.
      4. IF your ancestors moved to what became Jackson County, AL, before
      June 1830, they would have been "squatters" UNLESS they bought all or
      some part of one of the Cherokee reservations granted to Cherokee heads
      of households in 1817 and 1819. Only those reservations granted in fee
      simple could be legally sold by the Cherokee reservee. The majority of
      the Cherokee reservees received life reservations. This means they were
      not able to sell their land or hold on to it if they moved elsewhere.
      There are several documented cases where life reservations were
      illegally sold to white men. This caused the white men to later
      petition the U.S. Congress to grant them clear title to the land they
      had lived on and/or re-sold to another buyer. I wrote about two such
      cases in the October edition of the CHRONICLES. The land William King
      acquired that became the core of King's Cove is a prime example.
      Also, there are documented cases showing that white settlers harassed
      and drove the Cherokee families off their life reservations in order to
      claim it as their own. Patty Woodall and I have previously written
      about situations where several Cherokee families were "pushed off",
      "burned out", or suffered such strong verbal abuse that they left their
      life reservations and moved south of the Tennessee River to get away
      from the "land hungry" white men. Many of the Cherokees who received
      life reservations also joined the throngs of Cherokee families who
      emigrated to Indian Territory west of the Mississippi River.
      Those who emigrated between 1817 and 1835 are recorded by name in Jack
      D. Baker's CHEROKEE EMIGRATION ROLLS 1817-1835. Mr. Baker also cited
      their place of residence at the time of their emigration, i.e.,
      Chickamauga, Chatanooga, Running Water, Nickajack, Battle Creek, Island
      Creek, Crow Town, Shoemake, Little Raccoon Creek, Sautee/Sauta,
      Creekpath, Willstown, Will's Valley and Cross Town, AL. Due to space
      limitations, I will not mention the names of the other towns in
      Tennessee and in Georgia.
      In 1817 and 1818, there were 687 families that included a total of 2190
      Cherokees who emigrated West of the Mississippi River.
      Another list for the latter part of 1818 records another 454 Cherokees
      voluntarily enrolled to emigrate.
      In 1828, 769 Cherokees with 127 slaves voluntarily emigrated.
      In 1831 and 1832, 683 Cherokees, 47 whites, and 193 slaves emigrated for
      a total of 923 persons.
      In 1832, another group of 404 Cherokees with their 157 slaves went West.
      In 1833 and 1834, a group of 1350 Cherokees and their 256 slaves
      voluntarily emigrated West of the Mississippi River.
      In May 1834, another group of 903 (removed by wagon and steamboat)
      arrived in their new country.
      If one adds the total numbers in the emigrations between 1817 and 1835,
      it is easy to see why there were such a few with Cherokee blood left in
      this area and why there was such a limited number of people on the 1851
      Cherokee census in Jackson County, AL.

      Ann B. Chambless

    • Anne P. Johnson
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
        Ann,

        Thank you for this wealth of information. We are so lucky to have your
        expertise as part of this list. If my ancestor falls into the category
        below (moved to Jackson Co., before 1830), how would I go about
        researching whether he was a squatter or one of those who bought part
        of a Cherokee reservation? Is there a resource that contains this
        information?

        I am researching the Jacoway family. My Archibald Jacoway came to
        Jackson Co., from KY. In April 1818, he is mentioned as Captain of a
        company of militia, Whitley County, KY. In 1820, he is listed in the
        Census for Whitley Co., KY. And then BET 1823 AND 1825, he is Justice
        of the Peace, in Jackson Co., AL. And then in 1837 - "October 26, 1837
        - Seventeen companies (60 to 84 men each) of North Alabama Mounted
        Volunteers commanded by Col. Benjamin Snodgrass responded to a call to
        fight the Seminole Indians in Central FL. The men were mustered in on
        26 oct 1837 and discharged 12 april 1838 at Turkeytown. Captain of
        Company I was Archibald Jacoway." He died in 1844 and is buried in
        Jackson County.

        Also, were there any other families identified as migrating from KY,
        that you know of?

        Thank you,
        Anne Johnson

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
          Anne Johnson: For two reasons, I am 99 per cent sure Archibald
          Jacoway was one of the "squatters" (along with my own ancestors).
          REASON ONE: The only Cherokee reservation land sold in the Stevenson
          area where Archibald Jacoway lived was either the Shoemake reservation
          (purchased by a Caperton); or the John Benge reservation purchased by
          William Dawson located between the northeastern section of Stevenson and
          present-day Edgefield; or the John Woods reservation that we know was
          given to James Doran (John Wood never received a dime for his
          reservation); or one of the two Jones reservations west of Bridgeport
          that were acquired by William James Price and Thomas Gaines who sold to
          his son-inlaw, William King; or the Baldridge reservation between Crow
          Town and Stevenson; and the two Jones reservations near Bridgeport.
          The history of the white men who acquired all these reservations has
          been researched and written about in past years in the CHRONICLES.
          REASON TWO: Archibald Jacoway most likely purchased the property he
          "squatted on" as per his first land patent dated September 20, 1830.
          As you probably already know, in 1834 he obtained additional land in
          the same area as his first warrant secured in September 1830. All this
          land was in Township 1, Range 7 East which means it was northeast of
          Stevenson, AL.
          Ann B. Chambless

          On 9/30/2010 7:10 AM, Anne P. Johnson wrote:

          > Ann,
          >
          > Thank you for this wealth of information. We are so lucky to have your
          > expertise as part of this list. If my ancestor falls into the category
          > below (moved to Jackson Co., before 1830), how would I go about
          > researching whether he was a squatter or one of those who bought part
          > of a Cherokee reservation? Is there a resource that contains this
          > information?
          >
          > I am researching the Jacoway family. My Archibald Jacoway came to
          > Jackson Co., from KY. In April 1818, he is mentioned as Captain of a
          > company of militia, Whitley County, KY. In 1820, he is listed in the
          > Census for Whitley Co., KY. And then BET 1823 AND 1825, he is Justice
          > of the Peace, in Jackson Co., AL. And then in 1837 - "October 26, 1837
          > - Seventeen companies (60 to 84 men each) of North Alabama Mounted
          > Volunteers commanded by Col. Benjamin Snodgrass responded to a call to
          > fight the Seminole Indians in Central FL. The men were mustered in on
          > 26 oct 1837 and discharged 12 april 1838 at Turkeytown. Captain of
          > Company I was Archibald Jacoway." He died in 1844 and is buried in
          > Jackson County.
          >
          > Also, were there any other families identified as migrating from KY,
          > that you know of?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Anne Johnson
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjNjlyZzEyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3MjQyNwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDA4MzcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEyODU4NDg2NTY->
          >
          > Switch to: Text-Only
          > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
          > Daily Digest
          > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
          > . Unsubscribe
          > <mailto:jacksongenealogy-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
          > . Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          > .

        • Anne P. Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
            Fascinating. So, one would just leave their home, and travel THAT far,
            just to squat on land that wasn't theirs? Seems risky, but I guess
            they just saw it as open, free, unowned land? He died in Bennet's
            Cove. . . was that in this same area? (Township 1, Range 7 East which
            means it was northeast of Stevenson, AL.) And would Cumberland
            Cemetery, where he is buried, fall into that area, also? (I believe it
            does, based on what I've figured out on maps, but would like an expert
            and someone who knows the county to confirm for me.)

            So, we rule out those who legally owned the land (bought the claims)
            and then the rest we assume are squatters until proven otherwise.
            There is no documented "Squatters list?"

            Thank you so much,
            Anne

          • jrytrplt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
              To Anne Johnson in response to question about others from KY. One Joseph Thomas moved to what would become Montague in Doran's Cove in 1818. He eventually purchased a small number tracts in the area. In a handwritten statement written by a grandson in 1921, the grandson indicated that Joseph had come to Doran's Cove from KY. I have never been able to determine Joseph's ancestry or exactly where in KY he came from. The note goes on to say that greatgrandfather came from Wales. I would be interested in any information that you might develop concerning migration through KY to TN and AL. Generally, I believe there were two basic paths. One was down the TN River valley from upper east TN and the other through middle TN into Stewart and Humphreys counties. I'm not sure about Warren.

            • PATG31@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
                Ann,

                Thanks for all the great research you have provided on Jackson County.

                What about Maynard's Cove... would it have been part of the land that that
                was squatted on? In some family information my ancestors were said to have
                been in the area that became Alabama as early as 1815 to 1819. William Davis
                [1753-1848] and his son in law, Jeremiah Proctor [1777-1839], were both on
                the 1830 Jackson County census and both had bought several pieces of land by
                1831.

                Pat

              • Anne P. Johnson
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                  I will certainly let you know if I learn anything more about the
                  migration from KY to AL. Archibald and his family (he married a
                  Gilreath) came from Whitley County, KY. They had earlier left Wilkes
                  Co., NC for KY, so that might be a clue of some sort.

                • nsiler504@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                    I have information about Joseph Thomas. My father is descended from this line. Some of the early information is from census records and old Bibles. Some is only rumor handed down from generation to generation.

                    We are probably descended from people in Wales and whether it was Ky or not is a question. Property lines and state divisions were so sketchy that it is probably true.

                    On the question of property lines something that has bothered me for about two years. Someone stole the copper marker that divided Tennessee and Alabama in the Doran's Cove-Russell Cave area. How low can some stoop?

                    Nancy

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                      Nancy: You and I have communicated, maybe by phone or possibly by email. And I realize that you live there in the Cove. I did not realize that you descended from the Thomas family. Nor that bible records existed. This winter I would like to come see you. I have talked to the woman that owns both Jacks's and Les's farms and I want to go to see if we can spot where the original cabin was and take pictures of both farms.

                      Also, I heard a good part of life that the family had Cherokee blood but I now really doubt it. Comments?

                      Jerry Triplett
                      Chattanooga

                      Thank you for this wealth of information. We are so lucky to have your
                      expertise as part of this list. If my ancestor falls into the category
                      below (moved to Jackson Co., before 1830), how would I go about
                      researching whether he was a squatter or one of those who bought part
                      of a Cherokee reservation? Is there a resource that contains this
                      information?

                      I am researching the Jacoway family. My Archibald Jacoway came to
                      Jackson Co., from KY. In April 1818, he is mentioned as Captain of a
                      company of militia, Whitley County, KY. In 1820, he is listed in the
                      Census for Whitley Co., KY. And then BET 1823 AND 1825, he is Justice
                      of the Peace, in Jackson Co., AL. And then in 1837 - "October 26, 1837
                      - Seventeen companies (60 to 84 men each) of North Alabama Mounted
                      Volunteers commanded by Col. Benjamin Snodgrass responded to a call to
                      fight the Seminole Indians in Central FL. The men were mustered in on
                      26 oct 1837 and discharged 12 april 1838 at Turkeytown. Captain of
                      Company I was Archibald Jacoway." He died in 1844 and is buried in
                      Jackson County.

                      Also, were there any other families identified as migrating from KY,
                      that you know of?

                      Thank you,
                      Anne Johnson

                      On Sep 30, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Ann B. Chambless wrote:

                      > IF your ancestors moved to what became Jackson County, AL, before
                      > June 1830, they would have been "squatters" UNLESS they bought all
                      or
                      > some part of one of the Cherokee reservations granted to Cherokee
                      > heads
                      > of households in 1817 and 1819. Only those reservations granted in
                      fee
                      > simple could be legally sold by the Cherokee reservee.

                    • John Green
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                        Alexander REID was born 9/12/1804 somewhere in Kentucky he married Ann TRICE and died 9/9/1892 in Estill Fork, AL. I don't know when he/they moved down here so this doesn't help except to say that more than one family made the trip.

                        John M. Green

                      • jean copeland
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
                          Jerry - you may not remember, but a couple of years ago, you sent me information on the Thomas family.  My great grandmother, Ruhama Catherine Payne, father was Archibald Thomas, whose father I believe was Joseph Thomas.  In Grandmother Paynes death news clipping of May 29, 1930, it mentioned that her grandfather came directly from Ireland.in early pioneer days settling in Doran's Cove.  In the last few years, I have had major personal problems, which culminated in my husband's death of lung cancer
                          April 12, 2010.  So, my ancestry investigation was put on hold.  When I saw your post, I would really like to see the bible records, too.  I live in Arkansas right outside of Jonesboro and don't travel a lot by myself.  If it would not be too much trouble, could you let me know some of the information that you get in Bridgeport?  It would be appreciated.

                          Jean Copeland

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
                            Jerry, do the names Charles M West and Peggy Dean Holder ring a bell?
                            That is the only connection I could find this morning. There are probably
                            more but I am pressed for time.

                            I actually teach in Chattanooga at a private school.

                            Are you the nephew or something to Miss Lena Lee?

                            The best source of information for the Thomas family is at the Heritage
                            House behind the square in Scottsboro, Alabama. There my cousin Dot Bean
                            connected me to Ben Thomas. Ben will not use a computer and laughed at me
                            because I lost lots of info when my computer was struck by lightning. I had
                            to retype things and still am not finished.

                            I knew that my maternal grandmother had been reared by Uncle George Thomas
                            who was married to her Aunt Tennie. What I didn't know until Dot, Ben and
                            I compared information was that my paternal grandfather descended from the
                            Thomas line. That is probably how they met. My grandmother was taken by
                            the Thomas family after her mother died in childbirth. Daddy always
                            thought of them as his true grandparents and knew little about his mother's
                            actual paternal side. Aunt Tennie was a Choate from New Hope---probably the
                            Alabama side.

                            I have the Choate family Bible. The information that Ben and I have
                            collected is stored in the Heritage House. Whenever there are updates we try to
                            take it there. With my teaching schedule I find it difficult to get
                            there. The time change is part of it.

                            The information at the Heritage is backed by names of people. Some have
                            recollection from personal knowledge and others have family Bibles. There
                            are copied pictures with this documentation.

                            The major thing that I discovered is that those whom I thought were family
                            friends were actually family.

                            I have two pictures of Mary Margarette "Maggie" Thomas Payne. She was my
                            dad's grandmother. I only discovered that in the last few years when
                            looking through old pictures of my parents. On the back, in my childish
                            handwriting, I had written Grandma Maggie Daddy's grandmother. In one of the
                            pictures are her husband and children with a couple of extra children. I would
                            not take anything for it.

                            Nancy

                          • jrytrplt@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 2, 2010
                              Nancy: I am both a Thomas and a Triplett. Mary Thomas was my mother; died in '95. Jerry Triplett died in 1950 in a construction accident. I glanced at your email and know probably all of the names. I'll read in detail later. I find it impossible to get to Scottsboro to the Heritage Center because of the way I work. I know Ben and have talked to him some. I also know Dot having been there one time.
                              JET

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                                Jerry

                                The William who enlisted Joseph Thomas at Bridgeport is William T. Gunter.