1881 BOYD'S SWITCH news

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2010
      SOURCE:
      The Huntsville Weekly Democrat
      Date: December 28 1881
      ALABAMA NEWS
      It gives us great pleasure to announce all new and valuable enterprises
      in the South, especially when they occur in our vicinity, or anywhere in
      North Alabama. It is our pleasure, now, to announce the establishment of
      a large steam tannery at _Boyd's Switch, in Jackson Co., Ala_. The
      capital is furnished by Gov. Colquitt, of Ga., and the Gordon brothers -
      Gen. John B. Gordon, Major Eugene C. Gordon, and Capt. Walter M. Gordon,
      who have employed our clever fellow-citizens, Co. Jas. Hamilton as
      General Superintendent, and John W. Walls, as Assistant. Col. Hamilton
      had, during and before the war between the States, about six years'
      experience in tanning, and well understands the process, and, as we
      understand, Mr. Walls is to attend to the other business of the tannery.
      - The Company starts out with a capital of $20,000, to be increased to
      $100,000, if necessary and proper. The Company begins with 90 vats, to
      be increased, if the profits or prospect of profits justify it. They
      purpose to get their hides from Texas, and to make sole leather alone.
      The calculation is that the tannery will turn out, annually, from 90
      vats, between 223,000 and 250,000 pounds of good sole leather, which, at
      the lowest wholesale price, 36 cents per pound, will yield a handsome
      profit, after deducting expenses. We extend all concerned in the
      enterprise our heartiest wishes for richest rewards for the labors.