Stephens (WAS :Dodson Cemetery)

  • David Malbuff
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
      Martha, thank you for posting this Dodson cemetery link and these photos. I
      have visited this cemetery several times. The first time was by accident.
      We were looking for a "Stephens Cemetery" reputed to be in the area, but
      couldn't find it.

      This same area, where county road 80 leads north from the old stage road
      (county road 30) is where some of my Stephens ancestors are said to have
      settled.
      Stephens Gap, the railroad cut, is just a bit southwest of the intersection
      of those two roads.

      My first visit to Jackson county, Mrs Chambless kindly showed me a book at
      the library, I do not remember the name of it, but it was about early
      settlers in the Lim Rock
      area. The book itself dates from about 1950 and includes the recollections
      of one Hurshel Bradford Rousseau, who married Bernice Stephens, who is a
      fourth cousin of mine,
      once removed. Also in this book is somebody's freehand drawn map of Lim Rock
      in its early settlement days. I copied this map and reproduced it to the
      best of my ability
      using MS Paint. You can see the results on the jacksongenealogy yahoo site,
      I just uploaded it to the album titled "Stephens."

      Anyway, this map shows three interesting features. County Road 526,
      proceeding westward from county road 80 about a mile north from Dodson
      cemetery, is labeled
      "Stephens Road". A "Stephens" settlement is noted at the western terminus
      of this 526 road (it dead ends at somebody's farm today). Just west of this
      settlement is a
      figure labeled "Coal Mine." Another "Stephens" settlement is listed along
      county road 80 further north as it winds its way into the foothills (I
      believe the road eventually dead ends,
      but I may be wrong). Across from that second settlement is a little figure
      labeled "Stephens Cave."

      So, three questions come to mind after reviewing all this.

      1. Does anybody know anything about these landmarks I've listed? Presumably
      they are all gone now, of course (except the cave, the idea of which I find
      endlessly intriguing.)

      2. Does anybody know where the elusive "Stephens Cemetery" really is, and
      how to get to it, and who owns the land?

      3. Getting back to Dodson cemetery, what's the story behind the name "Boyd's
      Switch" and the change to "Lim Rock"? "Boyd's Switch" sounds like a railroad
      name, similar to
      "Stephens Gap."

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia
      540-325-1866
      malbuff@...

      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Posted by: "Martha Wallace" Marthawsv@... rosetudor1
      Date: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm ((PDT))

      Here are photos of the Dodson Family Cemetery in Lim Rock, Jackson County,
      Alabama. My GGG grandparents, Samuel and Margaret Guinn Williams are buried
      there, as well as two of their children.

      http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html
      Martha
      Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

      On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

      Dodson Cemetery in Lim Rock, Jackson County. Does anyone have any current
      photos of it? or know current condition. It has been called Williams Dodson
      Cemetery also. Thankyou Roger
    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
        3. Getting back to Dodson cemetery, what's the story behind the name "Boyd's
        Switch" and the change to "Lim Rock"? "Boyd's Switch" sounds like a railroad
        name, similar to
        "Stephens Gap."

        David -

        I believe the story of how the name change occurred has been posted here some time ago. It seems to me like it involved someone offering the town money to change the name for some reason. Anyone remember that?

        Karl

      • Karl Plenge
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
          3. Getting back to Dodson cemetery, what's the story behind the name "Boyd's
          Switch" and the change to "Lim Rock"? "Boyd's Switch" sounds like a railroad
          name, similar to
          "Stephens Gap."

          I just found this old posting on the board which explains the changing on the name of Boyd's Switch to Limrock.

        • Karl Plenge
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2010
            And here is a picture of Gentle's Store, which is mentioned in the previous link I sent:

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/451426556/

          • Karl Plenge

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 19, 2010
                  Hi, does anyone have any info on the Williams family buried in Dodson Cemetery? also has anyone ever herd the Dodson Cem. refered to as the Williams/Dodson Cemetery? Roger

> [...]
                  >
                  > Glory to God,
                  >
                  > David Malbuff
                  > Strasburg, Virginia
                  > 540-325-1866
                  > malbuff@...

                  > Posted by: "Martha Wallace" Marthawsv@...
                  > rosetudor1
                  > Date: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm ((PDT))
                  >
                  > Here are photos of the Dodson Family Cemetery in Lim Rock,
                  > Jackson County,
                  > Alabama. My GGG grandparents, Samuel and Margaret Guinn
                  > Williams are buried
                  > there, as well as two of their children.
                  >
                  > http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html
                  > Martha
                  > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
                  >
                  > On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
                  >
                  > Dodson Cemetery in Lim Rock, Jackson County. Does anyone
                  > have any current
                  > photos of it? or know current condition. It has been called

                • Stephen Dean
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                    There are 2 Williams mentioned on  my post "Source of Hand drawn map........etc".  They obtained land patents near Albert J Johnson, my grandfather's older half brother.

                    Also, see my comments about cemeterys with alternate names, and why.  Hopefully this will answer your question

                    Stephen Dean

> [...]

                    > Glory to God,
                    >
                    > David Malbuff
                    > Strasburg, Virginia
                    > 540-325-1866
                    > malbuff@...

                    > Posted by: "Martha Wallace" Marthawsv@...
                    > rosetudor1
                    > Date: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm ((PDT))
                    >
                    > Here are photos of the Dodson Family Cemetery in Lim Rock,
                    > Jackson County,
                    > Alabama. My GGG grandparents, Samuel and Margaret Guinn
                    > Williams are buried
                    > there, as well as two of their children.
                    >
                    > http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html
                    > Martha
                    > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
                    >
                    > On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
                    >
                    > Dodson Cemetery in Lim Rock, Jackson County. Does anyone
                    > have any current
                    > photos of it? or know current condition. It has been called

                  • Linda Hollman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                      I am looking for information regarding my gggrandfather and his ancestors
                      who spent a few years in Jackson County, Alabama, where he was born in 1832.
                      Here is the family:

                      Elisha Starling, Jr. b. abt 1803 Wayne Co., KY, s/o Elisha & Mary Starling

                      m. abt 1824 Jackson Co., AL

                      Elizabeth Upshaw b. abt 1807 in GA, d/o William & Demima Upshaw

                      Children:

                      3 name unknown b. in Jackson Co., AL

                      William B. b. 1831 in Jackson Co., AL

                      Middleton “Mid” .b 17 Oct 1832 Jackson Co., AL

                      Washington b. abt 1836 Jackson Co., AL

                      Mary “Angeline b. age 1838 Jackson Co., AL

                      Catherine b. abt 1840 Walker Co., GA

                      Born in Randolph County, AR: Francis Marion, Thomas B. & John

                      Elisha came to Jackson County some time before he married Elizabeth Upshaw.

                      They moved to Bibb Co., GA bet 1833 and 1834 and then to Randolph Co., AR in
                      1850.

                      Would appreciate any information concerning this family and their relatives.

                      Thanks,

                      Linda

                      Linda Hollman

                      Oklahoma City, OK

                      _____

                      From: Roger Burbank <burby9@... <mailto:burby9%40yahoo.com> >
                      family
                      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 1:42 PM

                      <mailto:Marthawsv%40aol.com> > wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > David Malbuff
                      > Strasburg, Virginia
                      > 540-325-1866
                      > malbuff@... <mailto:malbuff%40shentel.net>

                      > Posted by: "Martha Wallace" Marthawsv@... <mailto:Marthawsv%40aol.com>

                      > rosetudor1
                      > Date: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:02 pm ((PDT))
                      >
                      > Here are photos of the Dodson Family Cemetery in Lim Rock,
                      > Jackson County,
                      > Alabama. My GGG grandparents, Samuel and Margaret Guinn
                      > Williams are buried
                      > there, as well as two of their children.
                      >
                      > http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html
                      > Martha
                      > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
                      >
                      > On Sep 17, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
                      >
                      > Dodson Cemetery in Lim Rock, Jackson County. Does anyone
                      > have any current
                      > photos of it? or know current condition. It has been called

                      <mailto:jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Roger Burbank
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                        Stephen, how do I find your post on alternate Cemetery names? I'm new to all this.  Sorry for dumb question.  Roger

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 20, 2010
                          Roger:
                          To my knowledge this isn't posted anywhere.

                          The "alternate" name is the name used "by the locals"  in the book  mentioned, as opposed to the "formal name'.  You would probably have to consult the genealogical dept. of the library in either Scottosboro or Huntsville for the book.
                          Good Luck
                          Stephen Dean