WARREN'S MILL in Bryant, AL area

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2010
      Thanks, Harold. You shared exactly what I need to flesh out the
      material I am working on for the JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES. I had
      found the description of the land Charles Warren purchased in Jackson
      County in 1861 when he moved his family from Dade Co, GA, to North
      Alabama. That land adjoined the land purchased (about the same time)
      by Zechariah H. Gordon (father of Gen. John B. Gordon of CSA Civil War
      fame). It was the Gordons who started Castle Rock Mines after the
      Civil War.
      I also found Charles Warren in the 1860 Jackson County census and in
      the 1880 DeKalb County census, but I had no idea why he moved from
      Jackson to DeKalb County.
      It also makes sense that the federal Civil War soldiers camped at
      Warren's Mill since it was a grist and saw mill which means there must
      have been a good water supply to operate the mills.
      Thanks again for sending the story from the 1997 DeKalb Advertiser.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • T'Lene
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2010
        Ann,
        Charles and his family were in Habersbam County, GA in 1850. The Warrens and Scalfs removed to tri state areas after 1850.
        (Dade Co GA, Jackson Co AL, DeKalb Co AL and some into Marion Co TN)
        I eagerly await your article.