Re: [jacksongenealogy] McCutchen, Vann, Williams

  • Roger Burbank
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
      Thanks, Charlie is a cousin of mine. Roger

      From: Roger Burbank <burby9@...>
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Hunt Store

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
        I think it would have been a little North of Goose Pond and that Goose Pond was around where Larkins Landing was.

        The store would probably have been just a little north of where county road 79 intersects highway 72 just East of what was originally called Sauta.   The post office and a church/school was a half mile away.

        I have a photo of a TVA map from 1942 that shows what I believe is the location of the Store after the flooding.   There use to be a road that went from Sauta alongside the House of Happiness and went ENE from there.   The store was on that road between Sauta and the House of Happiness.

        From: jrytrplt@... <jrytrplt@...>

        Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Hunt Store

        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Friday, September 10, 2010, 11:44 AM

        I'm looking for a bit of info on Hunt Store. Apparently, it was "big" enough to be identified as a place in the 1900 census. Anyone know the location or anything about the store? The families involved? The history?

        From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

        Thanks.

      • Stephen Dean
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
          Hunts Store can be found as follows:
          The link to the 1907 map of Jackson county is:
          http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=North%20America%20and%20United%20States&item=States/Alabama/Counties/jackson/Jackson1907a.sid&wid=500&hei=400&props=item(Name,Description),cat(Name,Description)&style=simple/view-dhtml.xs
          Note:  the map is not the easiest to use, however at the bottom are the controls to enlarge it, and to pan up and down, and left to right.  Eventually, you get where you are going!

          On the 1907 map  Clay refers to (link to map is above), there is a structure (store) identified as "Hunts Store", and Hunts store is also identified as a district (shown in yellow).  The structure (store) is shown on this map as being about 4 mi due S. of Larkinsville, which is about 3-4 miles E. of Limrock.

          (Note:  the structure, Hunts Store is in square 4 in the yellow Hunts Store district, and appears to be about 6 miles from the center of Scottsboro.)

          I have relatives identified on this same map in Limrock,  where the N-S and E-W (more or less)  roads form a triangle at Limrock.  A(ndrew) and M(arion) Johnson, father & son, or brothers (I can't recall at the moment), are identified on the right side of square 21.

          Stephen Dean

[...]

          From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

          Thanks.