Re: [jacksongenealogy] McCutchen, Vann, Williams

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
      Roger

      Under Links at the home website is a link to the McCutchen Trace a genealogy website for the McCutchen Family you can contact Charles McCutchen in our group for details. I believe there are also Vann and Williams researchers who are members of our group.

      http://mccutchentrace.org/

      Clay

       .

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
        Greetings Clay:
        I deleted the earlier email.  Does  the inquirer have family from the area of Hunt's store?

          On the map you refer to, there is a structure (store) identified as "Hunt's Store", and Hunt's store is also identified as a district.  The structure (store) is about 4 mi due S. of Larkinsville, which is about 3-4 miles E. of Limrock.

        I have relatives identified on this same map in Larkinsville, where the N-S and E-W (more or less)  roads form a triangle at Larkinsville.  A(ndrew) and M(arion) Johnson, father & son, or brothers (I can't recall at the moment), on the right side of square 21.

        The map is dated 1907.  You provided me with land pattent dates showing the Johnson's were in that area circa 1890, perhaps a bit earlier.

        Perhaps "my Johnson's" knew the people the inquirer is seeking information on, as (a) there were not so many people in the area, according to this map, and (b) they were not very far apart geographically.????
        Interesting.

        Perhaps you can forward this to the inquirer.......who knows if it is valuable to him?

        Thanks for all the help you provide everyone.  Seems like you always come up with an answer!
        Stephen Dean
        Clovis, CA
        From: jrytrplt@... <jrytrplt@...>
        Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Hunt Store
        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, September 10, 2010, 11:44 AM

        I'm looking for a bit of info on Hunt Store. Apparently, it was "big" enough to be identified as a place in the 1900 census. Anyone know the location or anything about the store? The families involved? The history?

        From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

        Thanks.

      • Stephen Dean
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
          I left out the link to the 1907 map, which is
          http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=North%20America%20and%20United%20States&item=States/Alabama/Counties/jackson/Jackson1907a.sid&wid=500&hei=400&props=item(Name,Description),cat(Name,Description)&style=simple/view-dhtml.xsl
          The map can be enlarged and panned to left to right and up and down, but it takes time!

          Stephen Dean
          Clovis, CA

          If you will go to the historical map collection and click on the 1907 map of Jackson County you will find that Hunt Store (Hunts) was a large area, apparently the Census District for 1900.  It was located between the Scottsboro and Aspel Districts. There were 512 people listed in the District. Hunt Store, which likely where the Post Office was at, is located in the very northern part of he District and East of Littl Sauta Creek, with Dry Cove right in the middle of the District and there are a few names listed on the 1907 map with R. E. Allen and W. S. Smith living nearest to the store.

          Clay

          I'm looking for a bit of info on Hunt Store. Apparently, it was "big" enough to be identified as a place in the 1900 census. Anyone know the location or anything about the store? The families involved? The history?

          From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

          Thanks.

        • jrytrplt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
            I sent the inquiry for an acquaintance of mine. Her GGF was a farmer there in the 1900 census. Family name Carter. He later died near Rocky Springs, Jackson Co.

            But I have another question - when did most of the stream powered grist mills cease to operate?

            If you will go to the historical map collection and click on the 1907 map of Jackson County you will find that Hunt Store (Hunts) was a large area, apparently the Census District for 1900. It was located between the Scottsboro and Aspel Districts. There were 512 people listed in the District. Hunt Store, which likely where the Post Office was at, is located in the very northern part of he District and East of Littl Sauta Creek, with Dry Cove right in the middle of the District and there are a few names listed on the 1907 map with R. E. Allen and W. S. Smith living nearest to the store.

            Clay

            I'm looking for a bit of info on Hunt Store. Apparently, it was "big" enough to be identified as a place in the 1900 census. Anyone know the location or anything about the store? The families involved? The history?

            From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

            Thanks.

          • Roger Burbank
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2010
              Thanks, Charlie is a cousin of mine. Roger

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
                I think it would have been a little North of Goose Pond and that Goose Pond was around where Larkins Landing was.

                The store would probably have been just a little north of where county road 79 intersects highway 72 just East of what was originally called Sauta.   The post office and a church/school was a half mile away.

                I have a photo of a TVA map from 1942 that shows what I believe is the location of the Store after the flooding.   There use to be a road that went from Sauta alongside the House of Happiness and went ENE from there.   The store was on that road between Sauta and the House of Happiness.

                From: jrytrplt@... <jrytrplt@...>

                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Friday, September 10, 2010, 11:44 AM

                I'm looking for a bit of info on Hunt Store. Apparently, it was "big" enough to be identified as a place in the 1900 census. Anyone know the location or anything about the store? The families involved? The history?

                From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

                Thanks.

              • Stephen Dean
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
                  Hunts Store can be found as follows:
                  The link to the 1907 map of Jackson county is:
                  http://cartweb.geography.ua.edu:9001/StyleServer/calcrgn?cat=North%20America%20and%20United%20States&item=States/Alabama/Counties/jackson/Jackson1907a.sid&wid=500&hei=400&props=item(Name,Description),cat(Name,Description)&style=simple/view-dhtml.xs
                  Note:  the map is not the easiest to use, however at the bottom are the controls to enlarge it, and to pan up and down, and left to right.  Eventually, you get where you are going!

                  On the 1907 map  Clay refers to (link to map is above), there is a structure (store) identified as "Hunts Store", and Hunts store is also identified as a district (shown in yellow).  The structure (store) is shown on this map as being about 4 mi due S. of Larkinsville, which is about 3-4 miles E. of Limrock.

                  (Note:  the structure, Hunts Store is in square 4 in the yellow Hunts Store district, and appears to be about 6 miles from the center of Scottsboro.)

                  I have relatives identified on this same map in Limrock,  where the N-S and E-W (more or less)  roads form a triangle at Limrock.  A(ndrew) and M(arion) Johnson, father & son, or brothers (I can't recall at the moment), are identified on the right side of square 21.

                  Stephen Dean

[...]

                  From looking at a topo, it must have been around Goose Pond. Am I correct?

                  Thanks.