Re: [jacksongenealogy] Williams and Vanns

  • Martha Wallace
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
      Roger,

      Try this site:
      http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/dodsonAL/index.html

      It has pictures of the graves of Samuel and Margaret Williams and their son, George and his wife Caroline, plus some other relatives.
      Martha
      Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

      On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

      Martha, do Samuel and Margeret have visible grave markers? Roger

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
        Martha, I already found it, but it says Samuel consort?? does that meen husband?? George W. first wife was Nancy Vann, she is mother to almost all the children, do you know where she is?? Roger

        > It has pictures of the graves of Samuel and Margaret
        > Williams and their son, George and his wife Caroline, plus
        > some other relatives.
        > Martha
        > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
        >
        > On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
        >
        > Martha, do Samuel and Margeret have visible grave
        > markers?  Roger
        >
        > --- On Mon, 8/9/10, Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...>
        > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Williams and Vanns
        > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Monday, August 9, 2010, 2:21 PM
        >

        > Does anyone know if Samuel is related to the Williams
        > sisters, Sarah
        > Milly and Mary Ann, who married Hall brothers and lived
        > near Paint Rock?
        >
        > They say Mary Ann Williams was born and married James Hall
        > 1806 in Henry
        > Co, TN. One of their sons was named Samuel.
        >
        > I notice both Jesse and Samuel Williams live nearby in the
        > 1850 Census.
        > Both say they were born in TN and parents from NC. Possible
        > father is
        > Samuel Williams b.1733 in NC.
        >
        > Kyle
        >
        > On 08/09/2010 04:05 PM, Martha Wallace wrote:
        > >

        > > Roger,
        > >
        > > Yes, this is my family.
        > >
        > > Samuel Williams, Jr., married Margaret Guinn, ca 1807,
        > supposedly in
        > > Greene County, Tennessee. They are buried in the
        > Dodson/Williams
        > > Cemetery in Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama. Margaret
        > is my brick wall.
        > > Do you know anything about her?
        > >
        > > Their son, William Guinn Williams is my GG grandfather
        > and the brother
        > > of your George W. Williams. From the Jackson County
        > area, my family
        > > moved to Mississippi and then to Texas.
        > >
        > > I've always wondered - what does the W. in George W.
        > Williams stand for?
        > > I have seen it as George Washington Williams and as
        > George William
        > > Williams. By the way, William Guinn Williams named his
        > son George
        > > Washington Williams.
        > >
        > > Martha
        > > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
        > >
        > > On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Roger Burbank wrote:
        > >
        > > My Williams are George W. Williams born ca. 1809 in
        > Tennessee, died 1861
        > > in Limrock alabama. He married Nancy D. Vann 1837 in
        > Madison Co. AL. his
        > > father was I believe Samuel Williams. 1860 census he
        > is in Paint rock
        > > Jackson county. Roger

        >     jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Martha Wallace
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
          Roger,

          As far as I know the Williams came from England to Virginia in the 1600s, but I don't have primary documentation for that. I have thought that Wales might be in there somewhere, with a name like Williams, but I haven't found anything to support that. The oldest picture I have of a Williams is my great grandfather, William Washington Williams (1845-1917). What is your oldest picture?

          Did your George W. Williams (1808-1861) marry Sarah Caroline Wood or Nancy Caroline Vann? I have found both of them listed on family trees with the same group of kids, so somewhere wife Caroline got confused with someone else.

          Martha in California
          Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!

          On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

          Martha, I'm just getting started on Williams family. I know the Vann family go back to the Cherokee Nation, do you know anything of where William name came from? I have found alot of private trees on ancestry which have not responded yet. Whats your oldest picture? Roger

          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
            Roger,

            Consort is an old term for spouse (consort - wife, husband, spouse, mate, companion). I've seen it used in this time period in Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.

            So, if Nancy Vann's middle name is Caroline, there she is in the Dodson/Williams cemetery!!

            On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:

            Martha, I already found it, but it says Samuel consort?? does that meen husband?? George W. first wife was Nancy Vann, she is mother to almost all the children, do you know where she is?? Roger

            > It has pictures of the graves of Samuel and Margaret
            > Williams and their son, George and his wife Caroline, plus
            > some other relatives.
            > Martha
            > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
            >
            > On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:34 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
            >
            > Martha, do Samuel and Margeret have visible grave
            > markers? Roger
            >
            > --- On Mon, 8/9/10, Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Kyle Davenport <kdavenpo@...>
            > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Williams and Vanns
            > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Monday, August 9, 2010, 2:21 PM
            >

            > Does anyone know if Samuel is related to the Williams
            > sisters, Sarah
            > Milly and Mary Ann, who married Hall brothers and lived
            > near Paint Rock?
            >
            > They say Mary Ann Williams was born and married James Hall
            > 1806 in Henry
            > Co, TN. One of their sons was named Samuel.
            >
            > I notice both Jesse and Samuel Williams live nearby in the
            > 1850 Census.
            > Both say they were born in TN and parents from NC. Possible
            > father is
            > Samuel Williams b.1733 in NC.
            >
            > Kyle
            >
            > On 08/09/2010 04:05 PM, Martha Wallace wrote:
            > >

            > > Roger,
            > >
            > > Yes, this is my family.
            > >
            > > Samuel Williams, Jr., married Margaret Guinn, ca 1807,
            > supposedly in
            > > Greene County, Tennessee. They are buried in the
            > Dodson/Williams
            > > Cemetery in Limrock, Jackson County, Alabama. Margaret
            > is my brick wall.
            > > Do you know anything about her?
            > >
            > > Their son, William Guinn Williams is my GG grandfather
            > and the brother
            > > of your George W. Williams. From the Jackson County
            > area, my family
            > > moved to Mississippi and then to Texas.
            > >
            > > I've always wondered - what does the W. in George W.
            > Williams stand for?
            > > I have seen it as George Washington Williams and as
            > George William
            > > Williams. By the way, William Guinn Williams named his
            > son George
            > > Washington Williams.
            > >
            > > Martha
            > > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
            > >
            > > On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Roger Burbank wrote:
            > >
            > > My Williams are George W. Williams born ca. 1809 in
            > Tennessee, died 1861
            > > in Limrock alabama. He married Nancy D. Vann 1837 in
            > Madison Co. AL. his
            > > father was I believe Samuel Williams. 1860 census he
            > is in Paint rock
            > > Jackson county. Roger

            > jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Roger Burbank
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
              Martha, no she was Nancy D. Vann, I have their marriage bond, George married again after Nancy died. I have alot of info on them including will of Thomas Vann, that mentions George and Nancy. I'm trying to figure out what land George owned? to many of them. Have you been to BLM land search? feel free to give me a call 503-639-4381

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 9, 2010
                Martha, my oldest picture is Martha Ann Williams Mccutchen 1864> tintype. She is George and Nacy Vanns daughter. That photo and a Civil War rifle and old clock went from Alabama to Arkansas, then Washington to Oregon. Roger

                > As far as I know the Williams came from England to Virginia
                > in the 1600s, but I don't have primary documentation for
                > that. I have thought that Wales might be in there somewhere,
                > with a name like Williams, but I haven't found anything to
                > support that. The oldest picture I have of a Williams is my
                > great grandfather, William Washington Williams (1845-1917).
                > What is your oldest picture?
                >
                > Did your George W. Williams (1808-1861) marry Sarah
                > Caroline Wood or Nancy Caroline Vann? I have found both of
                > them listed on family trees with the same group of kids, so
                > somewhere wife Caroline got confused with someone else.
                >
                > Martha in California
                > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
                >
                > On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Roger Burbank wrote:
                >
                > Martha, I'm just getting started on Williams family. I know
                > the Vann family go back to the Cherokee Nation, do you know
                > anything of where William name came from? I have found alot
                > of private trees on ancestry which have not responded yet.
                > Whats your oldest picture?  Roger
                >
                > --- On Mon, 8/9/10, Martha Wallace <Marthawsv@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: Martha Wallace <Marthawsv@...>
                > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Williams and Vanns
                > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Monday, August 9, 2010, 2:05 PM
                >

                > Roger,
                >
                > Yes, this is my family.
                >
                > Samuel Williams, Jr., married Margaret Guinn, ca 1807,
                > supposedly in Greene County, Tennessee. They are buried in
                > the Dodson/Williams Cemetery in Limrock, Jackson County,
                > Alabama. Margaret is my brick wall. Do you know anything
                > about her?
                >
                > Their son, William Guinn Williams is my GG grandfather and
                > the brother of your George W. Williams. From the Jackson
                > County area, my family moved to Mississippi and then to
                > Texas.
                >
                > I've always wondered - what does the W. in George W.
                > Williams stand for? I have seen it as George Washington
                > Williams and as George William Williams. By the way, William
                > Guinn Williams named his son George Washington Williams.
                >
                > Martha
                > Genealogy - So many ancestors...so little time!
                >
                > On Aug 9, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Roger Burbank wrote:
                >
                > My Williams are George W. Williams born ca. 1809 in
                > Tennessee, died 1861 in Limrock alabama. He married Nancy D.
                > Vann 1837 in Madison Co. AL. his father was I believe Samuel
                > Williams. 1860 census he is in Paint rock Jackson county.
                > Roger

                >     jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Charles McCutchen
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 11, 2010
                  The Kennamer family's face book page

                  http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=136544766371157&v=wall&ref=ts

                  Thanks,
                  Charlie

                • Cindy Smith
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 29, 2010
                    I have a photocopy of a hand typed family genealogy record that was written by a distance cousin (husband of first cousin twice removed), W. Arthur Potter sometime before 1948. I have had several requests for copies, so I scanned the first 15 sheets and placed it on my website here:

                    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/albums/pottergenealogy/pottergenealogy.html

                    According to the introduction, this Potter line is from Johnathan Potter, born March 28, 1812, in North Carolina, son of Elijah Potter. Johnathan Potter married Elizabeth Pace about 1832 and settled in Maynard Cove, near Tupelo, Jackson County. There are names, marriages, death and birth dates, but after the intro page, no locations.

                    After living in Jackson County, Arthur Potter lived in Winnsboro, Wood County, Texas; De Leon, Comanche County, Texas; Sasakwa, OK; and Raymondville, Texas.

                    The later un-scanned pages are other surnames that intermarried with
                    Potter, including Guinn, Kirk, Merchant, Foster, Evans, Everett,
                    Cornelison, and Manning. I can add them if anyone has some interest in
                    those.

                    Thank you,

                    Cindy Holdridge Smith

                  • TOM F DUNKLIN
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 29, 2010
                      Cindy,
                      I have Manning family and I also have interest in the Cornelison surname as it
                      has some connection to the Cosby surname that I'm researching. They were in
                      Jackson Co in the 1800's. Would love for you to add them if it's not too much
                      trouble.

                      Thanks,
                      Paula

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 29, 2010
                        Paula,

                        I added the other pages.

                        Cindy

                        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 29, 2010
                          Thanks so much. I look forward to seeing all of your data.

                          Paula

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 30, 2010
                            Thank U for this Rhoda VEnable Potter is my gggrandmother Plennia Venable Sharp I have always wondered about the Guinns, Birde Guinn was my gg anut I wonder about her maiden name would U by chance have the answer.I am also kin to William Manning at Heneger Al his Mom is my Anut wolud like to know more about them.Thank U so much Violet Sue Sharp Long