William McCoy murder, early 1900s

  • keeling_greg
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi all.
      Any one have access to this tragic story from the area newspapers or know anything about this? William McCoy was knifed from behind with a hawkbill knife while working with the reins of a mule in the Fackler area, and the man who committed the act later died of smallpox awaiting trial in the Jackson Co. jail. A cousin told me of this yesterday; I think I have the main points right, but will be very glad for any corrections and/or additions to the story.
      Greg
    • James Gillespie
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
        Greetings,

        I would like to hear the whole story on William McCoy. Who were his parents
        and brothers and sisters?

        Jim G

        Fresno, CA

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
          Greg,

          I would find out his death date and then hire someone in Scottsboro such as Ann Chambliss do the library leg work for you.  They have the early newspaper the Progressive Age on microfilm at the Scottsboro library.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding a article about the murder if you have Wm. McCoy's death date.  The information on the trial or death of the accused might be more difficult since you wouldn't have a exact date.  Once you have the accused's name you might be able to find his death date from searching cemetery records and at least have a range to go on.  Still it would be tedious to go through 3 or 4 months of papers to get specific info on the trial.  I'm assuming back then trials didn't go on as long as they do now.

          Good luck,
          Charlie

        • clswagler@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
            Greg - In the Progressive Age issue dated April 4, 1901, the death of a Will McCoy is mentioned.

            I am not sure if this info is within an article or an actual obituary. I found this in the Jackson County Death Index by Jan Boyd Roberts. Jan has gone thru hundreds of old (and current) newspapers making an "index" of all people's name that have died. The only info on the index is the person's name and the name and date of the newspaper where this info can be found.

            I will check into this further for you and see what I can find out.

            Cindy
            Lebanon, OH

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
              Cindy,

              Where did you find the death index Cindy?

              Thanks,
              Charlie

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2010
                Here is a link to the roster.  Companies A,B,C,G, and F were mustered at Stephenson and Bridgeport.  Many of the men are from Jackson and Dekalb County, Al.   A independent company commanded by Capt Gilbreath was somehow tied to the Vidette Calvary.  Capt. Gilsbreth was put in charge of distributing rations in Jackson County after the war.

                I started looking into this because I found my great great grandfather Robert J. Hastings who was tied to the Shankles in Chavies, Dekalb County, Al was a Union spy.  His widow filed for his pension listing him as a member of Capt. Gilbreath's Scouts, Guides and Spies.

                from the Mountain Eagle
                Thursday, August 24, 1893
                There will be a re-union at the First Videlle Calvary (Federal) at Lathanville, Dekalb County on September 5, 1893. It will be of special interest to the members of Captain Gilbreath's company, all of whom should be present if possible. All old comrades are welcome and we will rally around the Flag as we did from 61 to 65.
                W. C. Morris, Fort Payne, AL.

                Here is the roster
                http://www.reocities.com/chedar0001/videtterosters.html

                Here is some info on Capt Gilbreath.  I can't find a roster for his men.
                http://www.reocities.com/chedar0001/videtterosters.html

                There is a little more information (some troop movements and correspondence from original records) available in book form mountainpress.com

                The book also lists the county each man was from.

              • Donna McDaniel
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Dr. Roberts' death index books are in Scottsboro Public Library.

                  Thanks!
                  Donna

                  Where did you find the death index Cindy?

                  Thanks,
                  Charlie

                  Any one have access to this tragic story from the area newspapers or know anything about this? William McCoy was knifed from behind with a hawkbill knife while working with the reins of a mule in the Fackler area, and the man who committed the act later died of smallpox awaiting trial in the Jackson Co. jail. A cousin told me of this yesterday; I think I have the main points right, but will be very glad for any corrections and/or additions to the story.

                  Greg

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2010
                    In case anyone knew this person. It doesn't specifically say Jackson County, but it says NE AL, how much more NE can you get than Jackson County, so I thought there was a good chance this is where she grew up:

                    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lakecityreporter/obituary.aspx?n=vanessa-dean-arnold&pid=144498611

                  • clswagler@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2010
                      Greg - From the Progressive Age, April 4, 1901:

                      Last Friday morning Will McCoy was stabbed by Joe Owen, with a knife and died the same evening. The affray occured in the yard of Col Cross and was about a mule. McCoy was carried home and Dr. Boothe, of Fackler, summoned but it was too late for any one to relieve him. He was conscious of everything until his death, and told his mother he was crossing over the bridge safe. The remains were interred at the Cross graveyard Sunday morning, Rev. J.A. Webb officiating.