Re: James R.Thompson mar. Elmira/Almira Ann Selby + Paschal/Pascal

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2010
      Well Hi Cousin
      Don't believe everthing you see on tombstones, my sister Elizabeth's birth date is wrong on hers.
      If someone is missing on the next few census and you know they have not moved suspect a death and remarriage with the children listed with the step-father's surname.
      You just added a bunch of cousins all the Gullatts and Gants in Jackson Co. Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant b. 1799 Fairfax Co. VA d. ca 1864 Jackson Co. AL was Elizabeth "Betty" (Gant) Medford's Grandmother. (Mary) Elizabeth "Betty" (Gant) Mefford's mother was Sarah Manerva "Sally" (last name unknown) Gant who married John Gant son of Elizabeth Gullatt and Unknown First Name Gant.
      In Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant's probate Mar/Apr 1873 were named her children John decd, Blunt? (Jasper N.??) and Mary who m. Elijah Snodgrass, in her will dated 27 Jan 1864 were named grandchildren Elizabeth, Nancy Gant m. Mitchell,  George and William, Not named were John and Sally's children Sarah b. 1848, Jefferson (J.J.) b. 1859 and a son Lance b. and d. between 1850-1860. Her will was attested by William Gullatt (brother) and Henry H. Coulson (Juliet Gullatt's husband) and her death by William Gullat, however he gave on date. From reading the will it likely was in 1864. Her daughter in law Manerva (Unknown) Gant was the administrator of  Elizabeth (Gullatt) Gant's estate which included land she had patented in 1831 and 40 acres she bought from her mother's (Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt's estate in 1862. The Gant Cemetery is on one of the 80 acre tracts she patented in 1831. The will only mentions 80 acres in two seperate
      John and Sarah Manerva "Sally" (Uknown) Gant Children Marriages
      Sarah J. b. 1848 m. George W. Medcalf 25 Dec 1868
      George W. b. 1849 m. Mary Elizabeth Thomas 21 Dec 1871
      Mary Elizabeth "Betty"  b. 1852 m. Thomas Mefford 21 Sep 1882
      Nancy b. 1853 m. Henry T. Mitchell 23 June 1869
      William b. 1855 m. Margaret Ellen White 28 Jan 1894
      Jefferson b.1859 m. 1st. Elizabeth Shelton 12 Sep 1880 2nd Manervia Shelton 12 Jan 1888 (Elizabeth Shelton's sister)
      Mary and Elijah Snodgrass moved to Gibson Co. IND and are on the 1870 Census only time I found them.
      Have never found Jasper N. Gant after the Civil War. He served as 3rd Corp. in Co. G, 4th (Russell's) AL Cav. Last entry was in Feb 1864. I don't know if the Blunt mentioned in the probate as a son is him or not. Have never found a Blunt Gant/Gaunt.
      There are some other Thompsons from NC on the 1850 Census but none who were old enough to be Jefferson Thompson's parents.
      I have always thought that Elizabeth Gullatt m. one of the Gants that lived near them on Soap Creek, Lincoln Co. GA. This would be the Lunsford/Lanceford Gant/Gaunt line originally from VA.
      I know there are more of your Gant and Selby cousins in the jacksongenealogy yahoo group.