Re: [jacksongenealogy] ? Haunted houses in Jackson County

  • cagle8185@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
      Regina,

      There was a house and old broom factory, behind the old Bridgeport School, that people said was haunted.

      Bill Cagle

      From: Laura G <add.housewife@... <mailto:add.housewife%40yahoo.com>; >
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>;
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 9:08 PM

      Wasn't the whole continent once Indian land?
      Laura Gray

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2010
        Looking for info on this family.  George was born in Virginia about 1780 and may have been in Kentucky and possibly in Franklin County, TN prior to settling in Jackson County.

        1840 Federal Census
        Jackson County, Alabama
        George Hunter
        m 10-14 1
        m 60-69 1
        m 50-59 1

        1840 Federal Census
        Jackson County, Alabama
        James Hunter
        m 30-39 1
        f 0-5 1
        f 20-29 1

        1850 Federal Census
        District 21, Jackson, Alabama
        George Hunter      70 (VA)
        Phebe Hunter     40 (TN)
        Stokely Todd     21 (TN)
        William Hunter     21 (AL)
        Jane Hunter     25 (TN)

        1850 Federal Census
        District 21, Jackson, Alabama
        James Hunter      44 (KY)
        Rebeccah Hunter 38 (TN)
        Chastaty Hunter 19 (AL)
        Albert Hunter     9  (AL)
        James Hunter     5  (AL)
        Rachel Hunter     0  (AL)
        William Berry     19 (TN)

        1860 Federal Census
        Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
        Georg Hunter      81 (VA)
        F B Hunter     54 (TN)
        Salley Hunter     25 (TN)

        1860 Federal Census
        Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
        Jas Hunter      53 (KY) ?
        Rebecah Hunter     47 (AL)
        Albert Hunter     19 (AL)
        Jas Hunter     14 (AL)

        1870 Federal Census
        Township 3 Range 1 Subdivision 53, Madison, Alabama
        John Bryant      28 (AL)
        Nancy Bryant     33 (AL)
        Alva Bryant     18 (AL)
        Eliza Hunter     30 (AL)
        Ida Hunter     2  (AL)
        Jenny Hunter     1  (AL)

        1870 Federal Census
        Township 2 Range 4, Jackson, Alabama
        John S Prince      29
        Mary C Prince     25
        George W Prince 4
        John D Prince     1/12
        James Hunter     25 (AL)*
        *farm laborer

        1880 Federal Census
        Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
        Eliza Hunter      32  (AL) *
        Idah Hunter     11 (AL)
        Johnie Hunter     8  (AL) (d)
        Wm. Hunter     5  (AL)
        * widow

        1900 Federal Census
        Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
        Lauson O Coulson      67
        Pheba I Coulson     62
        Hugh Walker         23
        Eliza J Hunter         60 *
        * (sister in law, mother of 5 children 3 living)

        The Will of William Berry
        Probated 25 Oct 1856
        A summary

        Book A. page 122.  CHASTITY BERRY allotted dower in
        land of WILLIAM BERRY, deceased. Heirs: JAMES HUNTER
        and wife REBECCA, JOHN D. SKELTON in right of wife
        ELIZABETH, JAMES MANNING in right of wife CHASTITY,
        WILLIAM LUSK in right of wife NANCY, JOHN D. BERRY,
        and DAVIS BERRY(last two of whom are Administrators),
        SAMUEL D. BERRY, WILLIAM BERRY, JOHN M. BERRY,
        GEORGE W. BERRY, THOMAS N. BERRY, DALLAS B. BERRY and
        ALFRED C. BERRY, the last seven of which are minors
        and heirs in right of their father, THOMAS BERRY,
        deceased;  WILLIAM CLUM(CLUNN?) in right of his wife
        MARTHA; GEORGE M., WILLIAM J., SAMUEL H., RACHEL,
        MARY J. AND SUSAN, heirs of SAMUEL BERRY, deceased
        of Madison Co.

        See Coffee Co., TN for the will of William's father,
        Sanford Berry

        See Jefferson Co., AL for the Orphan Court Record concerning
        William's son Thomas Berry