RE: [jacksongenealogy] ? Haunted houses in Jackson County

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      When I find out the exact location and the story behind the story I will let you all know. Can’t wait to hear the story first hand.

      Regina

      From: Laura G <add.housewife@... <mailto:add.housewife%40yahoo.com> >
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 9:08 PM

      Wasn't the whole continent once Indian land?
      Laura Gray

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
        Regina,

        There was a house and old broom factory, behind the old Bridgeport School, that people said was haunted.

        Bill Cagle

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2010
          Looking for info on this family.  George was born in Virginia about 1780 and may have been in Kentucky and possibly in Franklin County, TN prior to settling in Jackson County.

          1840 Federal Census
          Jackson County, Alabama
          George Hunter
          m 10-14 1
          m 60-69 1
          m 50-59 1

          1840 Federal Census
          Jackson County, Alabama
          James Hunter
          m 30-39 1
          f 0-5 1
          f 20-29 1

          1850 Federal Census
          District 21, Jackson, Alabama
          George Hunter      70 (VA)
          Phebe Hunter     40 (TN)
          Stokely Todd     21 (TN)
          William Hunter     21 (AL)
          Jane Hunter     25 (TN)

          1850 Federal Census
          District 21, Jackson, Alabama
          James Hunter      44 (KY)
          Rebeccah Hunter 38 (TN)
          Chastaty Hunter 19 (AL)
          Albert Hunter     9  (AL)
          James Hunter     5  (AL)
          Rachel Hunter     0  (AL)
          William Berry     19 (TN)

          1860 Federal Census
          Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
          Georg Hunter      81 (VA)
          F B Hunter     54 (TN)
          Salley Hunter     25 (TN)

          1860 Federal Census
          Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
          Jas Hunter      53 (KY) ?
          Rebecah Hunter     47 (AL)
          Albert Hunter     19 (AL)
          Jas Hunter     14 (AL)

          1870 Federal Census
          Township 3 Range 1 Subdivision 53, Madison, Alabama
          John Bryant      28 (AL)
          Nancy Bryant     33 (AL)
          Alva Bryant     18 (AL)
          Eliza Hunter     30 (AL)
          Ida Hunter     2  (AL)
          Jenny Hunter     1  (AL)

          1870 Federal Census
          Township 2 Range 4, Jackson, Alabama
          John S Prince      29
          Mary C Prince     25
          George W Prince 4
          John D Prince     1/12
          James Hunter     25 (AL)*
          *farm laborer

          1880 Federal Census
          Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
          Eliza Hunter      32  (AL) *
          Idah Hunter     11 (AL)
          Johnie Hunter     8  (AL) (d)
          Wm. Hunter     5  (AL)
          * widow

          1900 Federal Census
          Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
          Lauson O Coulson      67
          Pheba I Coulson     62
          Hugh Walker         23
          Eliza J Hunter         60 *
          * (sister in law, mother of 5 children 3 living)

          The Will of William Berry
          Probated 25 Oct 1856
          A summary

          Book A. page 122.  CHASTITY BERRY allotted dower in
          land of WILLIAM BERRY, deceased. Heirs: JAMES HUNTER
          and wife REBECCA, JOHN D. SKELTON in right of wife
          ELIZABETH, JAMES MANNING in right of wife CHASTITY,
          WILLIAM LUSK in right of wife NANCY, JOHN D. BERRY,
          and DAVIS BERRY(last two of whom are Administrators),
          SAMUEL D. BERRY, WILLIAM BERRY, JOHN M. BERRY,
          GEORGE W. BERRY, THOMAS N. BERRY, DALLAS B. BERRY and
          ALFRED C. BERRY, the last seven of which are minors
          and heirs in right of their father, THOMAS BERRY,
          deceased;  WILLIAM CLUM(CLUNN?) in right of his wife
          MARTHA; GEORGE M., WILLIAM J., SAMUEL H., RACHEL,
          MARY J. AND SUSAN, heirs of SAMUEL BERRY, deceased
          of Madison Co.

          See Coffee Co., TN for the will of William's father,
          Sanford Berry

          See Jefferson Co., AL for the Orphan Court Record concerning
          William's son Thomas Berry