Re: [jacksongenealogy] ? Haunted houses in Jackson County

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      The house maybe built on an Indian burial ground.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
        When I find out the exact location and the story behind the story I will let you all know. Can’t wait to hear the story first hand.

        Regina

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1 4:41 AM
          Regina,

          There was a house and old broom factory, behind the old Bridgeport School, that people said was haunted.

          Bill Cagle

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10 9:46 AM
            Looking for info on this family.  George was born in Virginia about 1780 and may have been in Kentucky and possibly in Franklin County, TN prior to settling in Jackson County.

            1840 Federal Census
            Jackson County, Alabama
            George Hunter
            m 10-14 1
            m 60-69 1
            m 50-59 1

            1840 Federal Census
            Jackson County, Alabama
            James Hunter
            m 30-39 1
            f 0-5 1
            f 20-29 1

            1850 Federal Census
            District 21, Jackson, Alabama
            George Hunter      70 (VA)
            Phebe Hunter     40 (TN)
            Stokely Todd     21 (TN)
            William Hunter     21 (AL)
            Jane Hunter     25 (TN)

            1850 Federal Census
            District 21, Jackson, Alabama
            James Hunter      44 (KY)
            Rebeccah Hunter 38 (TN)
            Chastaty Hunter 19 (AL)
            Albert Hunter     9  (AL)
            James Hunter     5  (AL)
            Rachel Hunter     0  (AL)
            William Berry     19 (TN)

            1860 Federal Census
            Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
            Georg Hunter      81 (VA)
            F B Hunter     54 (TN)
            Salley Hunter     25 (TN)

            1860 Federal Census
            Division 4, Jackson, Alabama
            Jas Hunter      53 (KY) ?
            Rebecah Hunter     47 (AL)
            Albert Hunter     19 (AL)
            Jas Hunter     14 (AL)

            1870 Federal Census
            Township 3 Range 1 Subdivision 53, Madison, Alabama
            John Bryant      28 (AL)
            Nancy Bryant     33 (AL)
            Alva Bryant     18 (AL)
            Eliza Hunter     30 (AL)
            Ida Hunter     2  (AL)
            Jenny Hunter     1  (AL)

            1870 Federal Census
            Township 2 Range 4, Jackson, Alabama
            John S Prince      29
            Mary C Prince     25
            George W Prince 4
            John D Prince     1/12
            James Hunter     25 (AL)*
            *farm laborer

            1880 Federal Census
            Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
            Eliza Hunter      32  (AL) *
            Idah Hunter     11 (AL)
            Johnie Hunter     8  (AL) (d)
            Wm. Hunter     5  (AL)
            * widow

            1900 Federal Census
            Scottsboro, Jackson, Alabama
            Lauson O Coulson      67
            Pheba I Coulson     62
            Hugh Walker         23
            Eliza J Hunter         60 *
            * (sister in law, mother of 5 children 3 living)

            The Will of William Berry
            Probated 25 Oct 1856
            A summary

            Book A. page 122.  CHASTITY BERRY allotted dower in
            land of WILLIAM BERRY, deceased. Heirs: JAMES HUNTER
            and wife REBECCA, JOHN D. SKELTON in right of wife
            ELIZABETH, JAMES MANNING in right of wife CHASTITY,
            WILLIAM LUSK in right of wife NANCY, JOHN D. BERRY,
            and DAVIS BERRY(last two of whom are Administrators),
            SAMUEL D. BERRY, WILLIAM BERRY, JOHN M. BERRY,
            GEORGE W. BERRY, THOMAS N. BERRY, DALLAS B. BERRY and
            ALFRED C. BERRY, the last seven of which are minors
            and heirs in right of their father, THOMAS BERRY,
            deceased;  WILLIAM CLUM(CLUNN?) in right of his wife
            MARTHA; GEORGE M., WILLIAM J., SAMUEL H., RACHEL,
            MARY J. AND SUSAN, heirs of SAMUEL BERRY, deceased
            of Madison Co.

            See Coffee Co., TN for the will of William's father,
            Sanford Berry

            See Jefferson Co., AL for the Orphan Court Record concerning
            William's son Thomas Berry