THE "beastly" EQUALIZER: The Great Depression

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2010
      IF you remember when we first started the discussion about "going to the
      mountains during the hottest summer months", I prefaced my remarks with
      "THOSE WHO COULD AFFORD TO" sent their women and children to temporary
      summer abodes. I did NOT intend to imply that all families in all areas
      of Jackson County were lucky enough to be able to spend a few days or
      weeks at the higher altitudes where there were more breezes and the air
      was usually 5 to 6 degrees cooler.
      THEN along came 1929 and the Great Depression of the 1930s. It was
      truly a "beastly" equalizer! Suddenly even those who owned businesses
      or worked in a professional service field were glad to have a garden
      spot and a cow and chickens in a small barn or shed behind their
      house. So many of our active jacksongenealogy members are like
      me......they either grew up or were born during these lean years. I was
      born in 1936 and had no choice but to learn a good work ethic. I am
      still very much a "pack rat" because I was taught to "use it up, wear it
      out, OR else do without."
      Ann B. Chambless