EARLY SUMMER HOMES in JACKSON COUNTY

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2010
      The valley towns in Jackson County have always been the local "hot
      spots" in our long, hot summers. Old timers have told me that those who
      could afford to would send their women and children to temporary "summer
      places" on Sand Mountain, Summerhouse Mountain west of Bridgeport, and
      July Mountain southwest of Scottsboro. The men would then try to join
      their families on the weekends to escape the blistering heat and high
      humidity in their permanent home sites. Summerhouse Mountain and July
      Mountain were so named because of this practice.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2010
        Did Fern Cliff on the bluff of Sand Mountain fit into that category?

        --
        Richard Matthews
      • cagle8185@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2010
          Ann,

          I lived in Bridgeport in the early 50's and and again in the late 50's and this is what I was told, also. The houses, on the mountain were not occupied the but were there. Jackson County was "dry" and it was not uncommon for young folks to go across the state line and get beer and head to Summerhouse Mountain.

          Bill Cagle

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2010
            Hi Everyone:

            Well here goes my two-cents worth.

            Yes, there was a lot of people missed on the census in Jackson County as well as the other states, but after all we are all so lucky to have the census at all. When the 1890 was destroyed by fire and water we really missed a lot of information!!!

            In 1860, 1870 and 1880 which was just after the Civil War there wasn't many dudes hanging around Jackson County that had enough money to run off to the mountains in the "summer time" and bum around or hide from the census taker. They had to stay in their corn, cotton and hay fields, etc. to harvest their crops and worry about feeding their families, not frolicking about in the mountains trying to stay cool or lie to the census takers wherever he might be riding through.

            So all the daydreaming and old-timers tales are cute but take it from someone who was born and raised near and in some of those mountains, it didn't happen back then. "Gone to the mountain" meant for a visit to their family in case someone came by to visit with them. Merely a country saying to let you know they were gone for a short time only.

            Thanks for listening

            Jewel

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
              Farm work did let up some by early July, when many crops were "laid by"
              until the Fall harvest, but yes there was still plenty of work to be done
              such as a gardens to tend, farm animals to be cared for and such never
              ending chores. It could be that the old and feeble, women and small children
              went off to summer mountain homes, for it was somewhat cooler along the
              bluff areas of our surrounding hills, where a cooling breeze could be had at
              times.

              Part of my growing up years and pre-air conditioning years were spent on
              Sand Mountain, between Hodge and Section, Alabama and I must say it
              was unbearably hot there also. We would picnic on the Section bluff, near
              Fern Cliff, to enjoy some of the bit cooler breezes. Fern Cliff lodge sat
              right at the bluff edge between Section and Hodge.

              Could it have been that the poor folks had to suffer through summer heat
              where they were and the more wealthy did have summer homes where they could
              escape some of the worst heat?

              Other ways we had of escaping the heat were, swimming in the Tennessee River
              and nearby creeks and springs, trips to some nearby caves, hand fans, and my
              favorite, home made ice cream.
              .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

              On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Jewel Casey <jcasey@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone:
              >
              > Well here goes my two-cents worth.
              >
              > Yes, there was a lot of people missed on the census in Jackson County as
              > well as the other states, but after all we are all so lucky to have the
              > census at all. When the 1890 was destroyed by fire and water we really
              > missed a lot of information!!!
              >
              > In 1860, 1870 and 1880 which was just after the Civil War there wasn't many
              > dudes hanging around Jackson County that had enough money to run off to the
              > mountains in the "summer time" and bum around or hide from the census taker.
              > They had to stay in their corn, cotton and hay fields, etc. to harvest their
              > crops and worry about feeding their families, not frolicking about in the
              > mountains trying to stay cool or lie to the census takers wherever he might
              > be riding through.
              >
              > So all the daydreaming and old-timers tales are cute but take it from
              > someone who was born and raised near and in some of those mountains, it
              > didn't happen back then. "Gone to the mountain" meant for a visit to their
              > family in case someone came by to visit with them. Merely a country saying
              > to let you know they were gone for a short time only.
              >
              > Thanks for listening
              >
              > Jewel

            • Regina Pipes
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2010
                I find this so interesting. If I have ever heard of these summer homes I
                don't remember BUT I think I have blocked so much of my childhood out of my
                memory. I don't remember work ever letting up when I was young. I don't
                have any memory of not being in some field working or going around trying to
                get yards to mow or going around picking up coke bottles to sale. I
                remember hoeing cotton, picking cotton, pulling corn or picking pepper,
                black berry picking or picking wild plumbs. We always had a large garden
                and there was always something to pick to be canned. The school I started
                to school in didn't have indoor bathrooms so we sure didn't have heating and
                cooling in the school. We burned coal in the winter and opened windows in
                the summer. Now days when someone says they were raised poor I wonder what
                they mean.

                Regina