McCoy School

  • Greg and Ginger Keeling
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
      Clay,
      Can you (or anyone else) tell me anything about the McCoy School? Is it
      still there? Who is it named for? (etc.)
      Thanks,
      Greg Keeling
    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
        Greg

        Don't know. Does anyone in the Group know anything about the McCoy School?

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
          Can you (or anyone else) tell me anything about the McCoy School? Is it
          still there? Who is it named for? (etc.)
          Greg Keeling

          I don't know about a McCoy School. Could you possibly be referring to
          what was called the McCutchen School House that was located in what we
          locals once called Sauty Bottoms? My grandmother attended school in
          what she called the McCutchen School House in the early 1900s. It was
          located about a mile from the present-day intersection of U.S. Highway
          72 and Alabama Highway 79. The McCutchen School was not used and
          disappeared from the scene in the early 1930s.
          My only other idea would be a school that was located in Yucca which is
          south of the Tennessee River about 5 miles from Stevenson, AL, at the
          western base of Sand Mountain. A McCoy family or families lived in the
          Yucca community, so there could have been an early school in that area
          known as the McCoy School?????
          Ann B. Chambless

          .

        • Greg and Ginger Keeling
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
            Ann,

            I found it in a map and accompanying information posted by Annette
            Bradford at this website:
            http://bradfordweb.info/tva/jacksonbasejackson.html

            McCoy School is in section #75 with theses places and names:
            including Coffey Landing Ferry, Deal Creek, and McCoy School

            * Allen, George
            * Browder, Dr. E. A.
            * Crabtree
            * Dixon, Bill and Jimmy Money
            * Holder, Maybell
            * Mason, John
            * McCrary, David
            * McCrary, Gordie
            * Money, Jimmy
            * Prince and Crabtree
            * Prince, J. M.
            * Riddle, Harrison

            This map and site is great; I've spent probably a couple hours pouring
            over it and found some McCoys nearby, but I have no information
            connecting any of the dots, so to speak.

            Greg

            Ann B. Chambless wrote:

            > Can you (or anyone else) tell me anything about the McCoy School? Is it
            > still there? Who is it named for? (etc.)
            > Greg Keeling
            >
            > I don't know about a McCoy School. Could you possibly be referring to
            > what was called the McCutchen School House that was located in what we
            > locals once called Sauty Bottoms? My grandmother attended school in
            > what she called the McCutchen School House in the early 1900s. It was
            > located about a mile from the present-day intersection of U.S. Highway
            > 72 and Alabama Highway 79. The McCutchen School was not used and
            > disappeared from the scene in the early 1930s.
            > My only other idea would be a school that was located in Yucca which is
            > south of the Tennessee River about 5 miles from Stevenson, AL, at the
            > western base of Sand Mountain. A McCoy family or families lived in the
            > Yucca community, so there could have been an early school in that area
            > known as the McCoy School?????
            > Ann B. Chambless
            >
            > .

          • Ann B. Chambless
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
              On 4/27/2010 8:27 PM, Greg and Ginger Keeling wrote:
              > Ann,
              >
              > I found it in a map and accompanying information posted by Annette
              > Bradford at this website:
              > http://bradfordweb.info/tva/jacksonbasejackson.html
              >
              > McCoy School is in section #75 with theses places and names:
              > including Coffey Landing Ferry, Deal Creek, and McCoy School
              >
              > * Allen, George
              > * Browder, Dr. E. A.
              > * Crabtree
              > * Dixon, Bill and Jimmy Money
              > * Holder, Maybell
              > * Mason, John
              > * McCrary, David
              > * McCrary, Gordie
              > * Money, Jimmy
              > * Prince and Crabtree
              > * Prince, J. M.
              > * Riddle, Harrison
              >
              > This map and site is great; I've spent probably a couple hours pouring
              > over it and found some McCoys nearby, but I have no information
              > connecting any of the dots, so to speak.
              >
              > Greg
              >

              >> The McCoy School area is due south of the Yucca Community I mentioned in earlier email. When you look closely at Map 75, you will notice that the entry isJIMMY McCOY and not Jimmy Money as listed above. The Map 75 area is 5 to 7 miles southeast of Stevenson, AL. There has not been a school in this particular area in about 60 years.

              Ann Chambless

            • Greg and Ginger Keeling
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 27, 2010
                Ann,
                Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                Greg

              • francesl
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 28, 2010
                  The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a old church there it is still in use.

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Greg and Ginger Keeling <fandral@...> wrote:

                  > Ann,
                  > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                  > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                  > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                  > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                  > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                  > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                  > Greg

                • francesl
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 28, 2010
                    you may want to look at the Sterne cemetery list and see if any of your mccoy,s are there.

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "francesl" <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

                    > The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a old church there it is still in use.
                    >
                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Greg and Ginger Keeling <fandral@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ann,
                    > > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                    > > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                    > > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                    > > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                    > > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                    > > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                    > > Greg

                  • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 28, 2010
                      Ann and Frances,

                      Thanks so much for helping. I will be glad for any information at all. I
                      am looking for the families of James H. and Sarah (Bryant) McCoy and/or
                      Jesse Franklin (Frank) and Etta Mae (Webb) McCoy, or any of their
                      siblings or descendants. McCoy School, or McCoy Grove area place names
                      are of very much interest to me, since the McCoys for whom I am
                      searching were in the Fackler area beginning in about 1878.

                      James H. and Sarah (Bryant) had 4 children of whom I am aware:
                      1) John Luther McCoy, who married Faye S. and had sons Harold C.,
                      Frederick H., and Robert H. McCoy
                      2) Frazier Anderson McCoy, who married Mamie Baker, and had Frazier A.
                      Jr., Geneva, and Billie McCoy
                      3) Claude G. McCoy who died in 1922, age 22 years.
                      4) Vera Berith McCoy, who married John A. Snodgrass

                      Jesse Franklin and Sarah (Bryant) McCoy had 9 children, I believe:
                      Charles, Ola Mae, Claude Sr., Ethel, Fred, Willie Mae, Jesse Franklin,
                      Jr., Lawrence Nye, and Ernest P. McCoy.

                      I'd be grateful for any comments, corrections, or other info helping me
                      track down these folks. If they are indeed the family I believe them to
                      be, I have much further information on their ancestors and "cousins."

                      Thanks,
                      Greg

                      francesl wrote:

                      > you may want to look at the Sterne cemetery list and see if any of
                      > your mccoy,s are there.
                      >
                      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, "francesl"
                      > <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a
                      > old church there it is still in use.
                      > >
                      > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, Greg and Ginger Keeling
                      > <fandral@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Ann,
                      > > > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one
                      > you
                      > > > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand
                      > correctly
                      > > > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                      > > > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                      > > > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                      > > > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                      > > > Greg

                    • nettiebau1952
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 28, 2010
                        Wow, you are so right, Ann. That is Jimmy McCoy, not Money. I will fix it on the Web site. Glad you guys found the maps useful.

                        Annette

                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

                        > On 4/27/2010 8:27 PM, Greg and Ginger Keeling wrote:
                        > > Ann,
                        > >
                        > > I found it in a map and accompanying information posted by Annette
                        > > Bradford at this website:
                        > > http://bradfordweb.info/tva/jacksonbasejackson.html
                        > >
                        > > McCoy School is in section #75 with theses places and names:
                        > > including Coffey Landing Ferry, Deal Creek, and McCoy School
                        > >
                        > > * Allen, George
                        > > * Browder, Dr. E. A.
                        > > * Crabtree
                        > > * Dixon, Bill and Jimmy Money
                        > > * Holder, Maybell
                        > > * Mason, John
                        > > * McCrary, David
                        > > * McCrary, Gordie
                        > > * Money, Jimmy
                        > > * Prince and Crabtree
                        > > * Prince, J. M.
                        > > * Riddle, Harrison
                        > >
                        > > This map and site is great; I've spent probably a couple hours pouring
                        > > over it and found some McCoys nearby, but I have no information
                        > > connecting any of the dots, so to speak.
                        > >
                        > > Greg
                        > >

                        > >> The McCoy School area is due south of the Yucca Community I mentioned in earlier email. When you look closely at Map 75, you will notice that the entry isJIMMY McCOY and not Jimmy Money as listed above. The Map 75 area is 5 to 7 miles southeast of Stevenson, AL. There has not been a school in this particular area in about 60 years.
                        > >>
                        > Ann Chambless

                      • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 29, 2010
                          Frances,
                          Thanks! I looked around and found a few references to McCoy Grove Church
                          online, but the mostly just showed where it is. Do you know anything
                          about the McCoy family for whom it is named or how long the church has
                          been there in use?
                          Greg

                          francesl wrote:

                          > The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a
                          > old church there it is still in use.
                          >
                          > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, Greg and Ginger Keeling
                          > <fandral@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Ann,
                          > > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                          > > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                          > > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                          > > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                          > > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                          > > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                          > > Greg

                        • francesl
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 29, 2010
                            I'm not sure a freind of mine did go to church there maybe I can find out from her. I do know that some of the McCoy family still live there.

                            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Greg and Ginger Keeling <fandral@...> wrote:

                            > Frances,
                            > Thanks! I looked around and found a few references to McCoy Grove Church
                            > online, but the mostly just showed where it is. Do you know anything
                            > about the McCoy family for whom it is named or how long the church has
                            > been there in use?
                            > Greg
                            >
                            > francesl wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a
                            > > old church there it is still in use.
                            > >
                            > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            > > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, Greg and Ginger Keeling
                            > > <fandral@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Ann,
                            > > > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                            > > > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                            > > > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                            > > > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                            > > > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                            > > > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                            > > > Greg

                          • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 29, 2010

                              francesl wrote:

                              > The place you are talking about is called McCoy's Grove. There is a
                              > old church there it is still in use.
                              >
                              > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, Greg and Ginger Keeling
                              > <fandral@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Ann,
                              > > Thanks for clearing up that the area on the map was indeed the one you
                              > > first mentioned in your earlier e-mail. Do I also understand correctly
                              > > that the school was once known as McCoy school, but that it has been
                              > > gone for 60 years or so? Do you know if it was named for the "Jimmy
                              > > McCoy" you mentioned, or a relative of his?
                              > > Thank you so much for your help; I appreciate it!
                              > > Greg

                            • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 29, 2010
                                Hey folks,
                                Sorry about the duplicate message. E-mail foul up on my end.
                                Greg

                              • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 29, 2010
                                  Frances,
                                  Thanks, and I'll appreciate any little tid bits that help me to better
                                  know which Jackson County McCoys are "mine" (the later bunch) and which
                                  are not mine (the early bunch already there by the 1850 census.
                                  Greg