Sauda Cave SaltPeter Mining / Union Raids

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
      Does anyone have any good info on SaltPeter mining at Sauda Cave, Capt. Young's Guards, or union raids/skirmishes in the area.  I'm trying to find out how Calvin Walker McCutchen died in Dec. 1863.  I believe he may have been called out to repel a raid at Coffeetown (near present day Langston.  Was there a iron works there or something the Union would want to raid?

      I'm also trying to figure out what "Commutation due to enlistment" means.
      Thanks in advance.

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
        Communtation due to enlistment sounds like the old join the Army and we'll forget about the charges and sentence. Check the court records could be for refusing to answer conscrption.

        See the three conscriptions acts of the Confederacy Apr 62, Sept 62 and Feb 64.. The first was for ages 18-35, second for ages 18-45, third for ages 17-50. They did take younger and older as young as 12 and over 60. The description of the dead after the Battle of Pertersburg VA was of "lying in the trenches the bodies of fresh faced youth lying besides hoary headed grandfathers" it was called the "battle of old men and young boys".

        Clay

        Does anyone have any good info on SaltPeter mining at Sauda Cave, Capt. Young's Guards, or union raids/skirmishes in the area.  I'm trying to find out how Calvin Walker McCutchen died in Dec. 1863.  I believe he may have been called out to repel a raid at Coffeetown (near present day Langston.  Was there a iron works there or something the Union would want to raid?

        I'm also trying to figure out what "Commutation due to enlistment" means.
        Thanks in advance.

      • nettiebau1952
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2010
          See "Truth and Myth about Sauta Cave" that I posted back in 2008, an article with pictures that my husband wrote for the Sentinel years ago about the salt peter mining operations. It is in the Files section of this Yahoo groups site.

          Annette Bradford