Coffee Settlement or Coffeetown

  • chamac45
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17 7:46 AM
      I've been trying to locate "Coffeetown" and I think I've found ii on a 1837 map near present day Langston. I also found a reference to it suggesting that the town died about the time of the Civil War after Langston Alabama was established nearby (this is what prompted me to find a old map and look near Langston). Does anyone know the historic location of Coffeetown? Is it underwater? I'm also curious about the Coffee family. Could they be relatives of Gen. John Coffee?
    • nettiebau1952
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17 8:54 AM
        I believe that Coffeetown is under water. I remember 30 years ago riding on a boat with my mother-in-law when she pointed down and said that is where my grandmother was born, in Coffeetown, which was about underneath us. I was in Langston last week and there is still a pointer to Coffeetown.

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "chamac45" <chamac45@...> wrote:

        > I've been trying to locate "Coffeetown" and I think I've found ii on a 1837 map near present day Langston. I also found a reference to it suggesting that the town died about the time of the Civil War after Langston Alabama was established nearby (this is what prompted me to find a old map and look near Langston). Does anyone know the historic location of Coffeetown? Is it underwater? I'm also curious about the Coffee family. Could they be relatives of Gen. John Coffee?

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 17 9:09 AM
          Alabama Historical Places; Coffeetown varriant for Langstown, the name changed in 1835. The old Coffeetown Cemetery is under water, 6 of the 31 graves were removed by TVA in 1930s, remaining graves were flooded. Last used in the 1880s: names. Coffee, Jarnagin and Snodgrass were once found here.

          Clay

          I've been trying to locate "Coffeetown" and I think I've found ii on a 1837 map near present day Langston. I also found a reference to it suggesting that the town died about the time of the Civil War after Langston Alabama was established nearby (this is what prompted me to find a old map and look near Langston). Does anyone know the historic location of Coffeetown? Is it underwater? I'm also curious about the Coffee family. Could they be relatives of Gen. John Coffee?

        • Cindy Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 17 11:34 AM
            I have a bit of Langston and Coffeetown history on my website, in the Langston Methodist Church history. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~holdridge/places/langstonmethodist2.html

            My ancestors from Langston were the Morgan family.

            Cindy Holdridge Smith

          • Charles McCutchen
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17 3:06 PM
              Thanks all,

              I was looking this up for a cousin whose ancestor died in the Civil War at Coffeetown.  His name was Calvin Walker McCutchen and he was in Nitre and Mining Corps, Young's Company and died 7 Dec 1863 at Coffeetown.

              Is there any local information on skirmishes?

              On a related note my g-g grandfather drowned at Larkin's Landing which was right across the river.  I'm assuming this area is under water as well and most of "Sadua Bottoms" is under water as well.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17 3:27 PM
                Old land features that were mapped just before the river was flooded in the 1930s are often found on the TVA maps that I have at this Web site:

                http://bradfordweb.info/tva/jacksonbasejackson.html

                If you scroll down, you can look up families living in the area at the time TVA bought up the land and land features mentioned on the TVA maps. You can also see modern navigational maps of the area. I don't see Larkin's Landing on the pre-TVA maps but I do see Larking Light and Dayboard. You can copy a map to your computer and examine it in detail.

                Annette Bradford

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Charles McCutchen <chamac45@...> wrote:

                > Thanks all,
                >
                > I was looking this up for a cousin whose ancestor died in the Civil War at Coffeetown.  His name was Calvin Walker McCutchen and he was in Nitre and Mining Corps, Young's Company and died 7 Dec 1863 at Coffeetown.
                >
                > Is there any local information on skirmishes?
                >
                > On a related note my g-g grandfather drowned at Larkin's Landing which was right across the river.  I'm assuming this area is under water as well and most of "Sadua Bottoms" is under water as well.

              • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18 4:59 AM
                  Annette,
                  Thanks for posting the TVA map overlay of the Jackson Co. (et al) area.
                  I had not seen it before, and it helped me understand better where the
                  McCoy family from around Fackler lived (I think).
                  Greg