SCOTTSBORO FREIGHT DEPOT SESQUICENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2010
      *Building the brick freight depot in Scottsboro began in 1860 and was
      completed in 1861. The JCHA is trying to determine the EXACT day/month
      of 1861 that the new brick depot was opened for business in
      Scottsboro. Prior to 1861, the Scottsboro depot had been a small
      wooden building that was basically a platform with one small room.
      Renovation of the brick depot by the JCHA is 98 per cent complete. Now
      we are ready to begin developing museum exhibits. If YOU have railroad
      transportation artifacts or other relics suitable for telling the early
      history of Scottsboro that you would share, please let me know.
      **2011 will be the sesquicentennial anniversary of the initial opening
      of the brick depot. The current goal is to open the museum to the
      public in 2011. We would like for the opening date to be as close as
      possible to the month it was first opened 150 years ago. IF you can
      provide documentation to show the exact opening date in 1861, you will
      will a prize.
      Ann B. Chambless*