THOMAS plus JONES

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19 11:57 AM
      I wrote a lengthy explanation of what happened to the Thomas and William
      Jones reservations in the October 2009 edition of THE JACKSON COUNTY
      CHRONICLES. The brief version for both reservations:
      THOMAS JONES:
      In 1820, William D. Gaines (white) purchased the Thomas Jones
      reservation for $300.00. Thomas Jones and family went on a visit to
      relatives in South Alabama where he got sick and died. William D.
      Gaines later sold this 640 acres to his son-in-law, William M. King, and
      the area came to be known as King's Cove.
      WILLIAM JONES:
      William Jones sold his reservation to William James Price (white) in
      1819 and also moved south.
      Therefore, I suspect if your Thomas ancestor married a Jones in the area
      around Bridgeport, AL, she would not have been a Cherokee, UNLESS she
      married here before 1820. There was a very prominent Jones family who
      settled the town of Bridgeport. The head of the family was Charles
      Smithson Jones. In fact, Bridgeport was originally called Jonesville
      until the railroad was built in this area in the early 1850s.
      Ann B. Chambless