Re: [jacksongenealogy] CIVIL WAR SKIRMISH at DUCKETT's PLANTATION in JACKSON ...

  • Gullick99@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2010
      I noticed in this report, Ann Chambless listed some of Richard Duckett's
      neighbors. One neighbor listed was James McCord. I have been searching for
      information on this family. I found them on the 1960 census in Paint Rock
      but not after that. James McCord's wife was a sister of my husband's
      gggrandfather, A W (Archiebald Warren) Brooks. Any information on the James
      McCord family would be greatly appreciated

      Jean Bowen
      _Gullick99@..._ (mailto:Gullick99@...)

      In a message dated 3/15/2010 1:19:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      rabc123@... writes:

      SOURCE: WAR OF THE REBELLION OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE UNION AND
      CONFEDERATE ARMIES, Series I, Volume 45, No. 1, page 636-637:
      On November 21, 1864, Col. J. W. Hall of the Fourth Regiment, Michigan
      Infantry, wrote from his headquarters at Larkinsville, Alabama, about
      his activity in PRV that is indexed as DUCKETT PLANTATION SKIRMISH, as
      follows:
      Sir: I have respectfully to report in compliance with orders received,
      I proceeded to Brownsborough and assumed command of a force assembled
      there, numbering 394 men, of which 145 were mounted. At 3 o'clock in
      the morning of the 17th I moved on the New Market road.....Arrived at
      Mr. Sandsley's plantation at 8:30 a.m. and being informed that the enemy
      500 strong were three miles in advance, I halted the command for
      dinner. I then set the column in motion, and after 10 minutes' march
      came upon the enemy in line of battle on the side of the mountain, and
      advanced upon him with a strong line of skirmishers, from which he
      retreated. As fast as the infantry could march I drove him around and
      over the mountains, up Hurricane Branch five miles beyond New Market,
      killing 9 and wounding 3 or 4, including 1 commissioned officer, which
      he (CSA commander) took with him or secreted in such a manner we could
      not find them.
      It then being dark, I returned to New Market in order to have possession
      of the different roads.....
      The following morning about 9 o'clock I was informed that the railroad
      had been torn up five miles north. A train being at hand I took the
      infantry forces then at Brownsborough and proceeded with the mounted
      force to that point as soon as possible....force to that point as soon
      Alfred A.) Russell's track, coming up with him at dusk at DUCKETT'S
      PLANTATION, near Paint Rock River. Dismounting all the Enfield rifles
      I moved on him at a double quick, using the dismounted men on the
      mountain on the right and the cavalry on the left of the road which runs
      along at the foot of the mountain. The enemy here made a more stubborn
      resistance than at any time previous, and I was in hopes he would stand
      long enough for us to get within short range, but I was soon invited to
      another race, as he showed his heels as usual; it was then dark and
      impossible to come up with him again.
      I captured his camp, rations for the men and oats and corn for the
      horses, also several horses, saddles, bridles, forage, and haversacks,
      blankets, and canteens, which were mostly filled with whiskey. About 30
      horses were captured....horses were captured....<WBR>...Captain (John B.) Ke
      8 or 10 head of cattle at Woodville, which I directed to have sent
      here. Some 20 stand of arms were captured, including rifles, carbines,
      and shotguns; they were mostly given to the home guards, as they were
      mostly without arms.
      Much of the property captured at the camp was of considerable loss to
      the enemy, but of very little use to us. I ordered it burned and
      otherwise destroyed.
      I occupied the enemy's camp the night of the 19th, and the next morning
      at daylight took his track, but soon ascertained that he was too far in
      advance for me to overtake him, and as it had been raining all night and
      the streams rising rapidly, I did not think it prudent to follow him,
      and therefore returned with the command to Brownsborough, where I
      arrived at dark, that being the only point where I could get to the
      railroad on account of high water. Two of my command were slightly
      wounded. I lost 2 horses drowned and 3 or 4 abandoned.
      Very respectfully yours,
      J. W. Hall
      Colonel, Fourth Regiment Michigan Infantry
      NOTE BY ANN CHAMBLESS:
      At the time of the 1860 Jackson County, AL census, Richard Duckett's
      neighbors were L. L. Padgett, Eli Toney, James McCord, Richard Latham,
      David and Carroll Brewer, Polly Smith, Jessie Webb, and Jackson Riddle.
      The 1860 census shows that Richard Duckett's real estate was valued at
      $11,500.00 and his personal property was valued at $7,000.00, so it is
      no wonder the Colonel called Duckett's farm a plantation. All of
      Richard Duckett's neighbors obviously owned small acreage due to the
      value of their real estate in 1860. According to Margaret Cowart's OLD
      LAND RECORDS OF JACKSON COUNTY, Richard Duckett purchased acreage in
      Township 2, Range 3 East in 1858 and in Township 3, Range 3 East in
      1854 and in 1860.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • James and Barbara Dooley
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 21, 2010
        Jean, I wonder if your James McCord could be related to my husband's McCord
        ancestors. A James McCord in York Co., SC, was James's 5th
        gt.grandfather. His daughter, Hannah, married John Denton, so the McCord
        name ended in J's line at that point. The Dentons moved to Hall Co., GA,
        very early in the 19th century; then moved on west to Cherokee and Paulding
        Counties in GA;then to Winston Co., AL, and DeKalb Co., AL. Do any of
        these names or places sound familiar to you? I have the names and places
        for Hannah's McCord siblings. If you're interested, I can send them to you.

        Barbara Wilson Dooley