James Lawler Thomas, CSA

  • jrytrplt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
      Anyone out there a Thomas family researcher?

      I am trying to verify the family (father) of James Lawler Thomas born 1833, 1835, 1838 depending on what one is looking at. As far as I can tell, he was born in Doran's Cove and lived in Bridgeport. Served in the Confederate Army. Buried at Mt Carmel.

      Anyone have a pretty strong opinion as to his father?

      JET of TN

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
        If I were taking bets I would bet on this one.

        1850 Dist. 19 Jackson Co. AL
        Joseph Thomas 55 Farmer VA
        Rozana 49 NC
        Mary 21 AL (all the children b. AL)
        William 19 (William Houston)
        James 17 (James Lawler)
        Lucinda 14
        Joseph 11 (Joseph Jr)
        Mayson 8 (Mason?)
        Melina 6
        George 2

        Living next door
        Alexander Thomas 28 Laborer AL
        Mary 25 TN
        Nancy 5
        Joseph 3
        Jane 2? months

        1860 Div 1 (Bridgeport PO) Jackson CO. AL
        House/Family 105
        Joseph Thomas 64 Farmer VA (Indexed as Vermont I corrected it)
        Euhamia 57 NC (seems to be same as Rozana)
        Joseph 21 Laborer
        Doctor M. 18 (Mason?)
        Viney 16 (Melina)
        Joseph Hawk 17 Laborer (probably son of Tabitha Hawk who is listed House 106)
        Joseph L. Thomas 13
        Euhamia 11
        Niagara 9

        The last three above maybe grandchildren.

        House/Family 107
        Houston Thomas 28 AL
        Susan 26 AL
        Louisa 4
        Joseph D. 2
        Elizabeth A. 6months.

        House/Family 108
        James Lalles 24 Farmer AL (James Lawler Thomas)
        Louisa 23 TN (Louisa Thomas)

        1870 Dist. 1 Sub Div 1 (Bridgeport PO) Jackson Co. AL
        Lawler Thomas 32 Farmer AL
        Louisa 30 TN
        William J. 10 At School AL (William Joseph)
        James M. 4 AL

        1880 Dist. 99 Beat 1 & 3, Jackson Co. AL
        Loller Thomas 45 Self Farmer AL KY AL
        Louisa 45 Wife Keeping House TN TN TN
        Joseph 20 Son Farmer AL (William Joseph)
        Mason 17 Son Farmer AL
        Cora 12 Dau At Home AL
        caroline Dance 58 Sister in Law  Wd TN TN TN
        Lucy Dance 16 Niece AL TN TN

        1900 Dist. 20 Bridgeport Jackson Co. AL
        Laules Thomas Head Sept 1832 67 mar.43yrs AL Ireland?? Germany?? Farmer
        Lousia Wife Feb 1833 67 mar.43yrs 3children/2living NC NC NC
        Willie Joe Son June 1860 Single AL AL NC Day Laborer

        1910 Dist. 20 Bridgeport, Jackson Co. AL
        Jas. L. Thomas Head 80 mar.once 53yrs AL VA AL Gardener Home Garden
        Louise Wife 76 mar.once 53yrs TN TN TN
        Joe Son 49 Single AL AL TN Carpenter House Carpenter

        On the 1920 William Joseph Thomas is listed as follows

        1920 Dist. 23 Bridgeport, Jackson Co. AL
        Julia C. Troxell 52 mar. TN TN TN (James Mason Thomas's widow? remarried)
        Effie O. Harrison Dau 22 mar. AL TN TN Knitter Hosiery Mill
        Garl?? Thomas Son 23 Single AL AL TN Laborer Saw Mill
        James Thomas Son 24 Single AL AL TN Apprentice Molder Stoneworks
        William J. Thomas 58Brother in Law mar. AL AL NC Carpenter  House
        James E. Harrison 1yr 2mo Grandson TN AL AL
        Luther T. Troxell Son 13 AL AL TN

        Mt. Carmel Cemetey, Bridgeport AL
        James Lawler Thomas b. 1832 d. 1-20-1915 Co. "F" 55th AL Inf.

        in same cemetery near by
        Mason Thomas 10-23-1843 PVT Co. "G" 3rd Cav CSA
        William H. (Houston) Thomas 5-1-1832 CSA

        Most likely James Lawler Thomas was b. Sept 1833 if William Houston Thomas's birth date is correct.

        James L. and Lucinda got married during the missing late 1850s period of Jackson Co. Marriages.

        Don't know why Cora Thomas is not listed on the 1870. Cora A. Thomas m. John M. Davis 11 Feb 1891 Notary Public R. E. Alley OS Page 99.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
          I have gone through the census and made the corrections at ancestry.com.

          Will post more later on the Thomas brothers Civil War records.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
            Clay, would this also be them. In the 1860 census where is George (2 in
            1850)?

            U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
            about Joseph Demitt Thomas
            Name: Joseph Demitt Thomas
            Gender: male
            Birth Place: VA
            Birth Year: 1795
            Spouse Name: Ruhama ???
            Spouse
            Birth Place: NC
            Spouse Birth Year: 1843
            Marriage State: of AL
            Number Pages: 1

            1870 United States Federal Census

            Name: Joseph Thomas
            Birth Year: abt 1795
            Age in 1870: 75
            Birthplace: Virginia
            Home in 1870: District 1 Subdivision 1, Jackson, Alabama
            Race: White
            Gender: Male
            Value of real estate: View image
            Post Office: Bridgeport
            Household Members:
            Name Age
            Joseph Thomas 75
            Ruhama Thomas 67
            Vinny Thomas 24
            Lucinda Fagg 34
            Lucy A Fagg 10
            Ellen A Fagg 8

            Here is another 1860:

            1860 United States Federal Census

            Name: Joseph Thomas
            [See User Comment]
            Age in 1860: 64
            Birth Year: abt 1796
            Birthplace: Vermont
            Home in 1860: Division 1, Jackson, Alabama
            Gender: Male
            Post Office: Bridgeport
            Value of real estate: View image
            Household Members: