Re: [jacksongenealogy] Punch Bowl - Sand Mtn/Long Island/Bryant area

  • bigmanholder@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      Frank
      I am in China Spring-just north of Waco.

      Paul Holder

      In a message dated 3/1/2010 7:44:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      FIronssr@... writes:

      I WOULD SAY THE STORY IS TRUE.

      AS A YOUNG BOY (1940-50'S) I WOULD GO WITH MY UNCLE TO AREA AND WE WOULD
      DRIVE A WOODEN STAKE IN THE GROUND. THEN WE WOULD FIND A FLAT ROCK AND
      RUB THE STAKE AND THE WORMS WOULD COME UP. HE CALLED THEM (TOBBIE) WORMS?
      UNCLE GEORGE IRONS WAS A GOOD FISHERMAN ON THE TN RIVER DECATUR, ALABAMA.

      FRANK IRONS SR
      BELTON, TX

    • JLH
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
        We did it as kids and that was in Tennessee,

        JL Hamilton

        _____

        From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@
        From: T'Lene <tlene@optilink. <mailto:tlene%40optilink.us> us
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
          WOULD YOU BE RELATED TO NATHAN B. HOLDER( CSA)?

          _http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973_
          (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973)

          FRANK

        • Regina Pipes
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
            I went to school in Hollywood with Porky HOLDER and then on to Scottsboro where we graduated in 1967. His brother Mickey went to school with my younger brother and sister. Dickey HOLDER went to school with another sister. Dickey was in education and may still be. I also went to school with Fred Emmett HOLDER Jr. I think he was a year or so younger. I think his dad may have been in law enforcement. I also had Miss Stella HOLDER as a teacher. I know there is still a lot of HOLDERS in Jackson county.

            When we lived in Austin we use to come to Belton so for youth ice hockey tournaments. My husband also worked in Temple Texas. I sure miss the food in Texas.

            Regina

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
              Yes Dickey was in the Scottsboro School system for years in several high
              positions but he has now retired. Fred Emmit Holder Sr was Sheriff of
              Jackson County for a while.

              ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                My ancestry goes back to a William Andrew Jackson Holder( Fackler-Wannville area). I know the names you are citing-all are in my data base. Thank you so much for send that info to me.

                Paul Holder

                Yes Dickey was in the Scottsboro School system for years in several high
                positions but he has now retired. Fred Emmit Holder Sr was Sheriff of
                Jackson County for a while.

                ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

                On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Regina Pipes <rgpipes@...> wrote:

                > I went to school in Hollywood with Porky HOLDER and then on to Scottsboro
                > where we graduated in 1967. His brother Mickey went to school with my
                > younger brother and sister. Dickey HOLDER went to school with another
                > sister. Dickey was in education and may still be. I also went to school with
                > Fred Emmett HOLDER Jr. I think he was a year or so younger. I think his dad
                > may have been in law enforcement. I also had Miss Stella HOLDER as a
                > teacher. I know there is still a lot of HOLDERS in Jackson county.
                >
                > When we lived in Austin we use to come to Belton so for youth ice hockey
                > tournaments. My husband also worked in Temple Texas. I sure miss the food in
                > Texas.
                >
                > Regina

              • Betty Pigg
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                  My granddad called using the stick to find water "water witching" and he used a forked peach tree limb to do it. once in Madison Co AL. My parents hired a man do digg a well for them, the man came out to mark the place he was gonna dig, which it would be a week before he could bring out the drill to dig. Papaw checked it with his "water witch" and told the man there was no water there and Papaw walked north of the mark about 75 ft, and told the man you will hit water at 25 ft. and the man said papaw was wrong.  Any way they made a deal if Papaw was right and the man was wrong then the man would digg the well for free, After the man dugg about 250 down on his mark he stopped and move to where papaw told him to drill and hit water at 25 ft. and we didn't have to pay the guy and many times after that, the man called for papaw to witch for water at other places.

                  I've heard many stories of an area with a waterfall and swimming hole near or on Sand Mtn (Long Island/Bryant/ Hog Jaw Valley area). In the late 1800's and early 1900's there would be singings take place there - Ebenezer Baptist Church was one choir that would participate.

                  Does anyone have photos or information regarding this?

                  Thanks,
                  T'Lene Bryant Tillotson

                  =

                • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Any listers remember or know anything about the McCoy family that was
                    from the Fackler area? Descendants include Jesse Franklin (Frank) McCoy,
                    who died in 1957, his son Claude Sr., and grandson Claude Jr., who I
                    understand passed away this past December. Others of Frank's children
                    were Lawrence, Ernest, Charlie, Fred, Ola Mae, Willie Mae, and a couple
                    others, I think.
                    Greg