Re: [jacksongenealogy] Punch Bowl - Sand Mtn/Long Island/Bryant area

  • Betty Pigg
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      Paul
      This is for real, I watched my granddad and uncle do this to get worms for fishing, in Guntersville, I was about 5 or 6, and thought I had dreamed it and so I asked Papaw about it when my kids were preschool age and he show it to all of us, he said the best time to do this was afew days after rain so the ground is not real hard.

      Betty

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        I didn't see my Granfather do that but he did the thing with the sticks to find water for other people. He talked about a friend of his that were really better than he was with finding the water. One summer was really hot and dry he killed a big rattlesnake. He placed the snake belly up in the middle of the road and said it would make it rain and it did.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
          I WOULD SAY THE STORY IS TRUE.

          AS A YOUNG BOY (1940-50'S) I WOULD GO WITH MY UNCLE TO AREA AND WE WOULD
          DRIVE A WOODEN STAKE IN THE GROUND. THEN WE WOULD FIND A FLAT ROCK AND
          RUB THE STAKE AND THE WORMS WOULD COME UP. HE CALLED THEM (TOBBIE) WORMS?
          UNCLE GEORGE IRONS WAS A GOOD FISHERMAN ON THE TN RIVER DECATUR, ALABAMA.

          FRANK IRONS SR
          BELTON, TX

        • bigmanholder@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
            Frank
            I am in China Spring-just north of Waco.

            Paul Holder

            In a message dated 3/1/2010 7:44:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            FIronssr@... writes:

            I WOULD SAY THE STORY IS TRUE.

            AS A YOUNG BOY (1940-50'S) I WOULD GO WITH MY UNCLE TO AREA AND WE WOULD
            DRIVE A WOODEN STAKE IN THE GROUND. THEN WE WOULD FIND A FLAT ROCK AND
            RUB THE STAKE AND THE WORMS WOULD COME UP. HE CALLED THEM (TOBBIE) WORMS?
            UNCLE GEORGE IRONS WAS A GOOD FISHERMAN ON THE TN RIVER DECATUR, ALABAMA.

            FRANK IRONS SR
            BELTON, TX

          • JLH
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
              We did it as kids and that was in Tennessee,

              JL Hamilton

              _____

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                WOULD YOU BE RELATED TO NATHAN B. HOLDER( CSA)?

                _http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973_
                (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973)

                FRANK

              • Regina Pipes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                  I went to school in Hollywood with Porky HOLDER and then on to Scottsboro where we graduated in 1967. His brother Mickey went to school with my younger brother and sister. Dickey HOLDER went to school with another sister. Dickey was in education and may still be. I also went to school with Fred Emmett HOLDER Jr. I think he was a year or so younger. I think his dad may have been in law enforcement. I also had Miss Stella HOLDER as a teacher. I know there is still a lot of HOLDERS in Jackson county.

                  When we lived in Austin we use to come to Belton so for youth ice hockey tournaments. My husband also worked in Temple Texas. I sure miss the food in Texas.

                  Regina

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Yes Dickey was in the Scottsboro School system for years in several high
                    positions but he has now retired. Fred Emmit Holder Sr was Sheriff of
                    Jackson County for a while.

                    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                      My ancestry goes back to a William Andrew Jackson Holder( Fackler-Wannville area). I know the names you are citing-all are in my data base. Thank you so much for send that info to me.

                      Paul Holder

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                        My granddad called using the stick to find water "water witching" and he used a forked peach tree limb to do it. once in Madison Co AL. My parents hired a man do digg a well for them, the man came out to mark the place he was gonna dig, which it would be a week before he could bring out the drill to dig. Papaw checked it with his "water witch" and told the man there was no water there and Papaw walked north of the mark about 75 ft, and told the man you will hit water at 25 ft. and the man said papaw was wrong.  Any way they made a deal if Papaw was right and the man was wrong then the man would digg the well for free, After the man dugg about 250 down on his mark he stopped and move to where papaw told him to drill and hit water at 25 ft. and we didn't have to pay the guy and many times after that, the man called for papaw to witch for water at other places.

[...]

                      • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Any listers remember or know anything about the McCoy family that was
                          from the Fackler area? Descendants include Jesse Franklin (Frank) McCoy,
                          who died in 1957, his son Claude Sr., and grandson Claude Jr., who I
                          understand passed away this past December. Others of Frank's children
                          were Lawrence, Ernest, Charlie, Fred, Ola Mae, Willie Mae, and a couple
                          others, I think.
                          Greg