Re: [jacksongenealogy] Ebenezer Springs Church and Waterfalls on Sand Mountain

  • T'Lene
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Ann,

      This is wonderful news. I know they will thoroughly enjoy your program and even turning the tables will be delightful.

      The Ebenezer Church I mentioned is atop Sand Mtn in Bryant but it is Ebenezer Baptist Church. I'm not familiar with Ebenezer Springs but am sure someone there will be of help to you.

      I don't suppose the meeting is open to the public, is it? I would enjoy attending if so.

      Both my parents were raised in the Bryant area. They moved away to marry and live in Chattanooga (1926) and then removed to Atlanta/Decatur area in 1940. My mother died in 1947 but my dad (Earl Bryant) returned to the Bryant area about 1973 where he died in 1984.

      You will be among many nice people.

      T'Lene Bryant Tillotson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
        Forgive the interruption but would you be related to a German or Sherman
        Bryant?

        JLHamilton

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
          I don't know it if I am but if their family has been in the Jackson Co., AL area for generations, there's a possibility.

          Have they worked on their family tree?

          I'd be pleased to share info with them.

          T'Lene Bryant Tillotson

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
            When I was a young boy and we visited Scottsboro on weekends my dad would
            take me and the aforementioned gentleman would cut my hair. They were
            friends but I am 60 years of age now and remembered that name. I also would
            get haircuts from a relative of my grandmother his name was Halcomb and his
            shop was in the square in Scottsboro.

            JL Hamilton

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
              I bet it was Fred HOLCOMB. He has passed away but his wife is still in
              Scottsboro and he has several sons still in the area.

              Regina

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010

                Fred was my grandmother , Mima Halcomb Treece's brother.

                JL Hamilton

                _____

                From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                  I know them well. Fred made the best biscuits. They use to baby sit my
                  daughter. I went to school with their boys. I still see A B ever now and
                  again. I was at his and Judy's wedding. I very seldom see Euyless. He
                  carves beautiful birds. I know that David passed away. It has been years
                  since I last saw Johnny and Billy.

                  I knew Wayne TREECE. Were you related to him also?

                  Regina

                  From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Yes Wayne I believe is deceased. Also there is a Betty Treece and she has a
                    sister as well. I would like to find out some how if they by chance have a
                    picture of my grandfather? I would pay to have a copy made all the pictures
                    of him burned when there house caught fire in Long Hallow many years ago.
                    His name was James A Treece. My mother Jewell was his daughter.

                    JL Hamilton

                    _____

                    From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com

                    From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com

                    From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                    yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2010
                      I am trying to find out information on The John and Minnie WALDEN Family.
                      They had four children Jesse (female), Myrtle, Tom, Whitt. I know that most
                      of the children were born in or close to Richard City, Tennessee. Jesse
                      first married a LYNCH in Tennessee then they moved to Birmingham where her
                      husband died and she later moved back either to Jackson County, Alabama or
                      Richard City, Tennessee where she married a Tom MILLER. Don't know anything
                      at all about Myrtle. Tom married Ethel COOLEY and they had six children:
                      Donny, Sena, Lynda, Hugo, Myles and Debbie. I think they lived most of
                      their time on Sand Mountain. Then there was Whitt. Don't know who he
                      married but think she died young. I know he had a daughter named Judy and a
                      son A B. I know that there was other WALDEN families in Jackson County that
                      were related to these WALDENS. Do any of you know any of these WALDENS? I
                      would like to talk to you even if you aren't related, you may be able to
                      give me information that may help some.

                      Thank you so much

                      Regina GRIDER Pipes

                    • Mark Klan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3, 2010
                        Regina -

                        I don't recognize any of the Walden's that you mention, but I have a Robert M. Walden in my database (born ~1858, Georgia). He married Eliza Caroline Precise in 1894 in Jackson County. Robert was apparently married earlier, with at least one daughter (Lucy A. Walden, ~1883). Robert and Eliza had at least two children in Alabama: Fanny E. Walden (~1896) and George M. Walden (~1899). The family was in Kyles in the 1900 census, but by 1910 they had moved to San Patricio county in Texas. I haven't been able to locate any of them in later censuses.

                        For what it's worth...

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 3, 2010
                          In 1910 John "Newton" WALDON was living in Richard City, Marion County,
                          Tennessee with his 2nd wife Minnie H and their two children Jesse age 10 and
                          Myrtle not yet one. Newton and Minnie had been married 13 years. Newton
                          was born in Alabama with his Dad being born in Virginia and Mother in
                          Alabama. In 1920 they were still in Marion County, Tennessee with Jesse
                          being married and Myrtle being 10, Tommie 5 and Whit a little over one. By
                          1930 John N WALDEN is in Hollywood, Jackson County, Alabama with Minnie,
                          Myrtle, Tom and Whit. The name is WALDON/WALDEN and John N or Newton.

                          Regina

                          I don't recognize any of the Walden's that you mention, but I have a Robert
                          M. Walden in my database (born ~1858, Georgia). He married Eliza Caroline
                          Precise in 1894 in Jackson County. Robert was apparently married earlier,
                          with at least one daughter (Lucy A. Walden, ~1883). Robert and Eliza had at
                          least two children in Alabama: Fanny E. Walden (~1896) and George M. Walden
                          (~1899). The family was in Kyles in the 1900 census, but by 1910 they had
                          moved to San Patricio county in Texas. I haven't been able to locate any of
                          them in later censuses.

                          For what it's worth...

                          Mark

                          Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 4:34:21 PM, Regina wrote:
                          > I am trying to find out information on The John and Minnie WALDEN Family.
                          > They had four children Jesse (female), Myrtle, Tom, Whitt. I know that
                          most
                          > of the children were born in or close to Richard City, Tennessee. Jesse
                          > first married a LYNCH in Tennessee then they moved to Birmingham where her
                          > husband died and she later moved back either to Jackson County, Alabama or
                          > Richard City, Tennessee where she married a Tom MILLER. Don't know
                          anything
                          > at all about Myrtle. Tom married Ethel COOLEY and they had six children:
                          > Donny, Sena, Lynda, Hugo, Myles and Debbie. I think they lived most of
                          > their time on Sand Mountain. Then there was Whitt. Don't know who he
                          > married but think she died young. I know he had a daughter named Judy and
                          > son A B. I know that there was other WALDEN families in Jackson County
                          that
                          > were related to these WALDENS. Do any of you know any of these WALDENS? I
                          > would like to talk to you even if you aren't related, you may be able to
                          > give me information that may help some.

                        • Chas Houlihan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 3, 2010
                            Thanks but it's Minnie Lee Young she married George Washington Bryant.