Punch Bowl - Sand Mtn/Long Island/Bryant area

  • T'Lene
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      I've heard many stories of an area with a waterfall and swimming hole near or on Sand Mtn (Long Island/Bryant/Hog Jaw Valley area). In the late 1800's and early 1900's there would be singings take place there - Ebenezer Baptist Church was one choir that would participate.

      Does anyone have photos or information regarding this?

      Thanks,
      T'Lene Bryant Tillotson

    • bigmanholder@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        Ok, this is off the wall, but my now deceased father told me so many stories about Jackson County. He was raised in the Wannville, Fackler area (1913-1931). I am always interested in info about the Holders, Boyds, Wanns, Halls, Morgans and probably several other groups. The family moved from the Sinking Cove area to a location between Wannville and Fackler. Dad claimed that he saw this happen on Sand Mountain-men would stick a stick in the ground. The stick would be bowed like a bow to shoot with--- with a string and under tension. Then the men would rub the strings aggresively--ok, ready for this-earthworms would come to the surface. Is that just a tale that a dad would tell his little boy or has anyone else ever heard of that. My dad was a firm beliver in devining rods to find water also--witnessed many times. OK any comments. If this is rediculous-I am not insulted-and if you know anything about Holders, Wanns, Boyds, Morgans, Halls in Fackler area -I would appreciate it.
        Thanks
        Paul Holder

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
          Fiddling for worms, yes. You have never done that? It doesn’t even have to be a bowed stick. You can find any stick and stick it in the grown and run a saw or another stick across it. I think it is the vibration that makes the worms come to the top of the ground. Some of these worms are very large. It is still done today.

          Regina

[...]

        • fletcher and frances hudson
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
            I would love to have info on the Lewis Morgan family that was on the
            Jackson Co census in 1860.

            The worm trick is not native to this area. Certain vibrations of the
            ground in areas where worms are embedded will, like water, cause them to
            come to the surface

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
              Paul
              This is for real, I watched my granddad and uncle do this to get worms for fishing, in Guntersville, I was about 5 or 6, and thought I had dreamed it and so I asked Papaw about it when my kids were preschool age and he show it to all of us, he said the best time to do this was afew days after rain so the ground is not real hard.

              Betty

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                I didn't see my Granfather do that but he did the thing with the sticks to find water for other people. He talked about a friend of his that were really better than he was with finding the water. One summer was really hot and dry he killed a big rattlesnake. He placed the snake belly up in the middle of the road and said it would make it rain and it did.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                  I WOULD SAY THE STORY IS TRUE.

                  AS A YOUNG BOY (1940-50'S) I WOULD GO WITH MY UNCLE TO AREA AND WE WOULD
                  DRIVE A WOODEN STAKE IN THE GROUND. THEN WE WOULD FIND A FLAT ROCK AND
                  RUB THE STAKE AND THE WORMS WOULD COME UP. HE CALLED THEM (TOBBIE) WORMS?
                  UNCLE GEORGE IRONS WAS A GOOD FISHERMAN ON THE TN RIVER DECATUR, ALABAMA.

                  FRANK IRONS SR
                  BELTON, TX

                • bigmanholder@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Frank
                    I am in China Spring-just north of Waco.

                    Paul Holder

                    In a message dated 3/1/2010 7:44:32 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                    FIronssr@... writes:

                    I WOULD SAY THE STORY IS TRUE.

                    AS A YOUNG BOY (1940-50'S) I WOULD GO WITH MY UNCLE TO AREA AND WE WOULD
                    DRIVE A WOODEN STAKE IN THE GROUND. THEN WE WOULD FIND A FLAT ROCK AND
                    RUB THE STAKE AND THE WORMS WOULD COME UP. HE CALLED THEM (TOBBIE) WORMS?
                    UNCLE GEORGE IRONS WAS A GOOD FISHERMAN ON THE TN RIVER DECATUR, ALABAMA.

                    FRANK IRONS SR
                    BELTON, TX

                  • JLH
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                      We did it as kids and that was in Tennessee,

                      JL Hamilton

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                        WOULD YOU BE RELATED TO NATHAN B. HOLDER( CSA)?

                        _http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973_
                        (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=32710973)

                        FRANK

                      • Regina Pipes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                          I went to school in Hollywood with Porky HOLDER and then on to Scottsboro where we graduated in 1967. His brother Mickey went to school with my younger brother and sister. Dickey HOLDER went to school with another sister. Dickey was in education and may still be. I also went to school with Fred Emmett HOLDER Jr. I think he was a year or so younger. I think his dad may have been in law enforcement. I also had Miss Stella HOLDER as a teacher. I know there is still a lot of HOLDERS in Jackson county.

                          When we lived in Austin we use to come to Belton so for youth ice hockey tournaments. My husband also worked in Temple Texas. I sure miss the food in Texas.

                          Regina

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Yes Dickey was in the Scottsboro School system for years in several high
                            positions but he has now retired. Fred Emmit Holder Sr was Sheriff of
                            Jackson County for a while.

                            ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                              My ancestry goes back to a William Andrew Jackson Holder( Fackler-Wannville area). I know the names you are citing-all are in my data base. Thank you so much for send that info to me.

                              Paul Holder

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                                My granddad called using the stick to find water "water witching" and he used a forked peach tree limb to do it. once in Madison Co AL. My parents hired a man do digg a well for them, the man came out to mark the place he was gonna dig, which it would be a week before he could bring out the drill to dig. Papaw checked it with his "water witch" and told the man there was no water there and Papaw walked north of the mark about 75 ft, and told the man you will hit water at 25 ft. and the man said papaw was wrong.  Any way they made a deal if Papaw was right and the man was wrong then the man would digg the well for free, After the man dugg about 250 down on his mark he stopped and move to where papaw told him to drill and hit water at 25 ft. and we didn't have to pay the guy and many times after that, the man called for papaw to witch for water at other places.

[...]

                              • Greg and Ginger Keeling
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                                  Any listers remember or know anything about the McCoy family that was
                                  from the Fackler area? Descendants include Jesse Franklin (Frank) McCoy,
                                  who died in 1957, his son Claude Sr., and grandson Claude Jr., who I
                                  understand passed away this past December. Others of Frank's children
                                  were Lawrence, Ernest, Charlie, Fred, Ola Mae, Willie Mae, and a couple
                                  others, I think.
                                  Greg