Re: [jacksongenealogy] KASH, ALABAMA

  • Kathy Thomison
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      All of my records indicate that this is Rash, Al - not Kash. I have been there. Just outside of Stevenson. I am a Rash and have researched this extensively.

      KATHY

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
        Kash, Alabama is on Sand Mountain which is several miles east of
        Stevenson. Rash, Alabama is west of Stevenson, AL. They are
        definitely two different places and separated by at least 40 miles.
        Ann B. Chambless

      • T'Lene

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
            Flat Rock was Kash then they changed the Name to Flat Rock in the early 1900's.
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

            > Kash, Alabama was named for Levi Cash/Kash. He was enumerated as Cash
            > in the 1830 and 1850 Jackson County censuses and as Kash in the 1840
            > census. The William Smith family were among his neighbors in 1850. His
            > Cash became Kash when the post office was established and named for him.
            > Levi Cash was born October 22, 1802, and died May 31, 1879. He is
            > buried in the Smith Cemetery east of Fabius. Levi Cash purchased 80
            > acres in the Southwest quarter of Section 7, Township 3, Range 9 East.
            > The first 40 acres was purchased in 1848, and the second 40 acres was
            > purchased in 1853. Levi Kash purchased another 80 acres in 1859 in the
            > Southwest quarter of Section 16 of Township 3, Range 9 East.
            > The land in Section 7 is located just south of CO RD 81 about half way
            > between Fabius and Flat Rock. The land in Section 16 is slightly north
            > of the intersection of CO RD 117 and CO RD 71, very close to Flat Rock.
            > The old land records tell us that Levi Cash/Kash was one of the first
            > men to buy land in this area of Sand Mountain.
            > I have been told that Levi and Nancy Cash/Kash had two sons, but I have
            > never researched the younger generation.
            > Ann B. Chambless

          • francesl
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
              There is a Lewis Family Cemetery on county road 14.

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

              > Kash, Alabama is on Sand Mountain which is several miles east of
              > Stevenson. Rash, Alabama is west of Stevenson, AL. They are
              > definitely two different places and separated by at least 40 miles.
              > Ann B. Chambless

            • francesl
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                If I remember right Kash was changed to Flat Rock in the early 1900's.
                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "francesl" <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

                > There is a Lewis Family Cemetery on county road 14.
                >
                > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Kash, Alabama is on Sand Mountain which is several miles east of
                > > Stevenson. Rash, Alabama is west of Stevenson, AL. They are
                > > definitely two different places and separated by at least 40 miles.
                > > Ann B. Chambless

              • Regina Pipes
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Thanks Frances. There is so many little places in Jackson County I wish to
                  visit. Sounds like a good spring drive.

                  Regina

                  There is a Lewis Family Cemetery on county road 14.

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , "Ann B. Chambless"
                  <rabc123@...> wrote:

                  > Kash, Alabama is on Sand Mountain which is several miles east of
                  > Stevenson. Rash, Alabama is west of Stevenson, AL. They are
                  > definitely two different places and separated by at least 40 miles.
                  > Ann B. Chambless

                • Kathy Thomison
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Ok - Sorry - there was a Levi Rash and I thought maybe a mistake had been made on the census records.

                    KATHY

                    ________________________________
                    If I remember right Kash was changed to Flat Rock in the early 1900's.
                    --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "francesl" <frances_lambert200 0@...> wrote:

                    > There is a Lewis Family Cemetery on county road 14.
                    >
                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Kash, Alabama is on Sand Mountain which is several miles east of
                    > > Stevenson. Rash, Alabama is west of Stevenson, AL. They are
                    > > definitely two different places and separated by at least 40 miles.
                    > > Ann B. Chambless

                  • JLH
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                      It will be if spring ever gets here.

                      JL Hamilton

                      _____

                      From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      There is a Lewis Family Cemetery on county road 14.

                      --- In jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com