RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: [jackson-co] Lewis family

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      I have always wondered if this should be RASH and not KASH. I had never heard of KASH But have heard of RASH

      Regina

      From: charchandler@... <mailto:charchandler%40charter.net> <mcabernathy@... <mailto:mcabernathy%40bellsouth.net> >
      Subject: [jackson-co] Lewis family
      To: jackson-co@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jackson-co%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 9:45 PM

      I am researching my mothers grandparents. His name was Thomas D Lewis born around 1844 in TN but lived in the Rash community near Stevenson. His second wife was Callie short for Caladonia Haney. Callie was said to be Cherokee indian. I don't know about Thomas. I have hit a brick wall on finding anything on them. I hope you can help me. I would greatly appreciate it.

      Carol Abernathy
      Athens, AL

    • shirjoyce@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
        Carol,

        Mary Lewis 74 yrs. b. in N.C. and living in the home of her daughter, Sarah
        Jones on the 1870 Jackson Co., AL Census is my gg grandmother. It is
        thought that Thomas Lewis is Mary's grandson but we have not been able to prove
        it. I have a lot of research on this family and correspond with a direct
        descendant of Thomas Daniel Lewis, Sr. We will be happy to share our
        research with you if you would like to contact me at: _shirjoyce@..._
        (mailto:shirjoyce@...) .

        Shirley Perry

        --- On Sun, 2/28/10, _charchandler@charchandle_
        (mailto:charchandler@...) <mailto:charchandlemailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@mcabernathmca_
        (mailto:mcabernathy@...) <mailto:mcabernathymailto:mcabermai> >

        From: _charchandler@charchandle_ (mailto:charchandler@...)
        <mailto:charchandlemailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@mcabernathmca_
        (mailto:mcabernathy@...) <mailto:mcabernathymailto:mcabermai> >
        To: _jackson-co@yahoogrojackson_ (mailto:jackson-co@yahoogroups.com)
        <mailto:jackson-mailto:jackson-mail>

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
          Shirley

          Carol posted the request for info on Thomas D. Lewis on the jackson-co genealogy website, there are 3 different Jackson Co. genealogy websites plus a mailing list and a message board, I check  them all and when I can post on anyone on the jackson-co I post it on jacksongenealogy as well, get more answers since jacksongenealogy is  a much larger group. I encourge everyone to check them out.

          Carol  email is charchandler@...  for your Lewis info.

          If anyone wants to join jackson-co sent an email to

          jackson-co-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          There is a Jackson Co. genealogy forum at www.network54.com.

          aljackso-l-request@...

          And to top it off there is a Jackson Co. Message Board at rootsweb.com to receive its messages go to rootsweb.com click on Message Boards click on States click on Alabama click on Counties, click on Jackson. Then to the right click on Add to my favorites and Add to my alerts.

          It is interesting to go back through the archives at each site who knows you might meet some kin folks.

          research with you if you would like to contact me at: _shirjoyce@aol. com_
          (mailto:shirjoyce@aol. com) .

          (mailto:charchandler@ charter.net) <mailto:charchandle mailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@ mcabernathmca_
          (mailto:mcabernathy@ bellsouth. net) <mailto:mcabernathy mailto:mcabermai > >

          From: _charchandler@ charchandle_ (mailto:charchandler@ charter.net)
          <mailto:charchandle mailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@ mcabernathmca_
          (mailto:mcabernathy@ bellsouth. net) <mailto:mcabernathy mailto:mcabermai > >
          To: _jackson-co@ yahoogrojackson_ (mailto:jackson-co@yahoogro ups.com)
          <mailto:jackson- mailto:jackson- mail>

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
            We now have 525 members in this group and yes, we are fortunate to have all
            these great genealogy resources for our county.

            For a little history, I was able to get on the Internet before most people
            even knew of its existence. I learned how to write HTML code and put up the
            first website that represented Jackson County, Alabama in the early 90's. I
            also installed the first network that was connected to the Internet in a
            school in Jackson County at Hollywood middle school in the late 90's. My
            first genealogy effort was the "network 54" site, that you mentioned and
            then in 1999 I started this Jackson County Genealogy discussion group and
            became the first Jackson County coordinator for AlGenWeb in its early days.

            I have to give much credit to you Clay for your wonderful work with this
            group in the last many years while I have been occupied otherwise, you have
            made the group what it is today and I know everyone appreciates your work
            and dedication.

            You are right about the archives, there are tons of invaluable information
            stored in the archives and all should take advantage of their treasure.

            Thanks again to all of you for making this an outstanding genealogy group.

            Richard Matthews (group originator)
            Scottsboro, Alabama
            Descendant of Walker and Luvina Mathis of Matthews Cove, Big Coon , Alabama