Re: [jackson-co] Lewis family

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2010
      Carol

      1900 Kash, Jackson Co. AL
      Thomas D. Lewis Head Oct 1848 51 mar.25 TN TN TN Gun Smith
      Callie Wife 39 Mar 1861 mar. 25yrs 13children/8living AL AL AL
      John W. Son May 1877 23 AL TN AL (Same for all the children)
      Mary E. Dau Jan 1879 21
      Thomas D. Son Sept 1887 12
      Samuel W. Son Feb 1889 10
      Calvin M.  Son Nov 1890 9
      Edward  Son Sept 1892 7
      George  Son Jan 1890 5
      Tempie F. Dau Dec 1898 1

      1910 Dist 25 Kash, Jackson Co. AL
      Thomas D. Lewsis Head 61 mar.twice 35yrs TN TN TN Farm Home Farm
      Callie S. WIfe 49 mar.once 35yrs 16children/9living AL US TN
      John W. Son 34 AL TN AL (same for rest) None
      Thomas D. Jr. Son mar.once 0yrs Laborer Odd Jobs
      Larnce E. Son 17 Farmer (perhaps Larence Edwarad?)
      George E. Son 15 Farmer
      Lorena J. Dau 12
      Henry C. Son 7
      Jessie L. Daughter in Law 17 mar.once 0yrs AL AL AL (Thomas D.'s wife?)

      1880 Dist.113 Jackson Co. AL
      Thomas Lewis 31 Self Waggon Right (Wagonwright) TN Blank TN
      Caladonia 20 Wife Keeping House AL Blank AL
      John W. 3 Son AL
      Mary J. 1 Dau AL
      William Russel 19 Single Laborer AL TN AL

      1870 Dist 5 SubDiv 1 (Stevenson PO) Jackson Co. AL
      John R. Jones 35 Works on Farm TN
      Sarah 35 Keeping House TN
      Mary Lewis 74 NC
      Thomas Lewis 21 Wagon Maker TN
      James Lewis 12 AL

      1880 Dist 113 Jackson Co. AL
      John Jones 46 Self Farmer TN NC NC
      Sarah 42 Wife Keeping House TN MD NC
      James J. Lewis 22 no relationship listed Laborer AL TN AL

      Clay

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
        I have always wondered if this should be RASH and not KASH. I had never heard of KASH But have heard of RASH

        Regina

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
          Carol,

          Mary Lewis 74 yrs. b. in N.C. and living in the home of her daughter, Sarah
          Jones on the 1870 Jackson Co., AL Census is my gg grandmother. It is
          thought that Thomas Lewis is Mary's grandson but we have not been able to prove
          it. I have a lot of research on this family and correspond with a direct
          descendant of Thomas Daniel Lewis, Sr. We will be happy to share our
          research with you if you would like to contact me at: _shirjoyce@..._
          (mailto:shirjoyce@...) .

          Shirley Perry

          --- On Sun, 2/28/10, _charchandler@charchandle_
          (mailto:charchandler@...) <mailto:charchandlemailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@mcabernathmca_
          (mailto:mcabernathy@...) <mailto:mcabernathymailto:mcabermai> >

          From: _charchandler@charchandle_ (mailto:charchandler@...)
          <mailto:charchandlemailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@mcabernathmca_
          (mailto:mcabernathy@...) <mailto:mcabernathymailto:mcabermai> >
          To: _jackson-co@yahoogrojackson_ (mailto:jackson-co@yahoogroups.com)
          <mailto:jackson-mailto:jackson-mail>

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
            Shirley

            Carol posted the request for info on Thomas D. Lewis on the jackson-co genealogy website, there are 3 different Jackson Co. genealogy websites plus a mailing list and a message board, I check  them all and when I can post on anyone on the jackson-co I post it on jacksongenealogy as well, get more answers since jacksongenealogy is  a much larger group. I encourge everyone to check them out.

            Carol  email is charchandler@...  for your Lewis info.

            If anyone wants to join jackson-co sent an email to

            jackson-co-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            There is a Jackson Co. genealogy forum at www.network54.com.

            aljackso-l-request@...

            And to top it off there is a Jackson Co. Message Board at rootsweb.com to receive its messages go to rootsweb.com click on Message Boards click on States click on Alabama click on Counties, click on Jackson. Then to the right click on Add to my favorites and Add to my alerts.

            It is interesting to go back through the archives at each site who knows you might meet some kin folks.

            research with you if you would like to contact me at: _shirjoyce@aol. com_
            (mailto:shirjoyce@aol. com) .

            (mailto:charchandler@ charter.net) <mailto:charchandle mailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@ mcabernathmca_
            (mailto:mcabernathy@ bellsouth. net) <mailto:mcabernathy mailto:mcabermai > >

            From: _charchandler@ charchandle_ (mailto:charchandler@ charter.net)
            <mailto:charchandle mailto:charcmai> <_mcabernathy@ mcabernathmca_
            (mailto:mcabernathy@ bellsouth. net) <mailto:mcabernathy mailto:mcabermai > >
            To: _jackson-co@ yahoogrojackson_ (mailto:jackson-co@yahoogro ups.com)
            <mailto:jackson- mailto:jackson- mail>

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
              We now have 525 members in this group and yes, we are fortunate to have all
              these great genealogy resources for our county.

              For a little history, I was able to get on the Internet before most people
              even knew of its existence. I learned how to write HTML code and put up the
              first website that represented Jackson County, Alabama in the early 90's. I
              also installed the first network that was connected to the Internet in a
              school in Jackson County at Hollywood middle school in the late 90's. My
              first genealogy effort was the "network 54" site, that you mentioned and
              then in 1999 I started this Jackson County Genealogy discussion group and
              became the first Jackson County coordinator for AlGenWeb in its early days.

              I have to give much credit to you Clay for your wonderful work with this
              group in the last many years while I have been occupied otherwise, you have
              made the group what it is today and I know everyone appreciates your work
              and dedication.

              You are right about the archives, there are tons of invaluable information
              stored in the archives and all should take advantage of their treasure.

              Thanks again to all of you for making this an outstanding genealogy group.

              Richard Matthews (group originator)
              Scottsboro, Alabama
              Descendant of Walker and Luvina Mathis of Matthews Cove, Big Coon , Alabama