Scottsboro Boys

  • Cynthia G.
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2010
      Where was the Paint Rock train station in 1931? I'm reading about the Scottsboro Boys and found a quote from someone that says something to the effect of "if the train station had only been a few hundred yards further down the track, it would have been Huntsville and Madison Co. that had the problem" I know where the Jackson/Madison county line runs, but don't see any evidence of a train station nearby. Anyone know?
    • G L Putman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2010
        http://scottsborostories.blogspot.com/

        I hope this will help

        http://www.myfamily-friends.com

        http://www.comelook.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2010
          *Paint Rock is located approximately 20 miles west of Scottsboro and
          about 3 miles east of the Madison-Jackson County line. This is what
          Norma Brown wrote about the Paint Rock Depot in her book "Pictorial
          Memories of Paint Rock":
          "The first depot was built in 1856. It was destroyed by the first
          tornado to hit Paint Rock in January 1870. The depot was rebuilt. The
          1932 tornado took its toll of destruction and life (in Paint Rock.) It
          blew the depot off the tracks and was partially destroyed. It was
          rebuilt at the same location that year. W. H. Hill became agent in 1888
          and retired in 1945. A. H. Henslee and David C. Roberts were also
          agents there. The Paint Rock Depot was torn down in 1971."
          Ann B. Chambless
          *

        • Jennie Lee Cabler