Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson Co. AL cemetery

  • jburt@charter.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
      I have a Pendergrass relative buried in Gross Cemetery

      ---- Eulonda Owens <kegoad@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know of a cemetery possibly known as GRASS GRAVEYARD? This name is shown on a death certificate that I have for Jesse G. Pendergrass age 5 years.

    • Jewel Casey
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
        I have looked in "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" cemetery book by Kittye Vandiver, Evelyn Smith Rochelle 7 Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver and didn't find any PENDERGRASS listed.

        However, they do list 4 cemeteries on Guess's Creek
        1. The Old Kirkpatrick (Isaac Cemetery is listed and it is located:east of Trenton in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, Section 32, off County Road #20, is situated across Guess's Creek near the foot of the mountain on land owned by Edward Berry in the early 1830's.

        3. Latham Cemetery
        Located on County Highway #20 (Guess's Creek Road) about 4 miles east of State Highway 65, Township 3, South, Range 4 East, Section 23.

        3. Mall Thicket Cemetery
        located: in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, Section 28, about 30 yds. to the right of Guess's Creek Road, County Highway #20.

        4. Wilson Cemetery
        Located in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, southwest quarter of section 19.
        We have not been able to go to this cemetery but have been told that the area has been farmed over, none of the tombstones are extant, and all traces of the cemetery have vanished.
        Known to be buried there
        John Wilson and Mariah Wilson, Nancy Walker Wilbourn.
        *****

        Jewel
        From: Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>
        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, February 1, 2010, 7:15 PM

        If it is the cemetery of Guess Creek Baptist Church it is in the Paint Rock Valley northeast of Paint Rock. I can give directions but as I said fours years ago it is one of those places in Jackson Co. that is hard to reach. Go up the Paint Rock Valley to Trenton, Grass Creek is eastnortheast of Trenton. There is a road just north of Trenton that goes to the right toward Grass Creek.

        If you go to a terraserver topo map and find Trenton then look ENE about 3 or 4 Mi you will see Grass Creek.

        Perhaps someone who lives in the Paint Rock Valley can give better directions.

        Clay

        Could the name possible be named Guess Cem this is one I have been looking for
        Betty

        Does anyone know of a cemetery possibly known as GRASS GRAVEYARD? This name is shown on a death certificate that I have for Jesse G. Pendergrass age 5 years.

      • Eulonda Owens
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
          I  have record of deeds that show the Pendergrasses owned  and sold land in township 4 in  1912 and 1914 so I think I am getting close.  Is in the Gross cemetery in this area?  More research should find something. Again thanks for the clues.

          Thanks Clay for all your help as a matter of fact I will be making a trip some time soon I have found distant family in that area who knows where the creek is so I can look for the cem as I'm told the cem is there but no graves are marked. I have a g-g-g-grandmother burried there and I can't find a record of her death so I figured I could a least take a pic of where she in burried.

          Betty

          Could the name possible be named Guess Cem this is one I have been looking for
          Betty

          Does anyone know of a cemetery possibly known as GRASS GRAVEYARD? This name is shown on a death certificate that I have for Jesse G. Pendergrass age 5 years.

        • Betty Pigg
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 4, 2010
            Jewel

            The book you spoke of the "Paint Rock Valley Pioneer's" Can you tell me if there are any Franklins or Riddles, listed? I'm looking for a Louisa or Luiza Riddle who married John W Franklin in Jackson Co AL. They lived in Jackson and Madison Co AL. Louisa or Luiza Died between 1910 and 1920, but we can't find a record of her death, My granddaddy took some kin folks on the mountain where his cousin lived and they were looking down in a valley and he told them there's where my grandma Louisa Franklin in burried. By finding the deed to land that his cousin owned has got us to Guess Creek, the land is on CO. RD. 8 on the mountain and looking north at the map the Cem is close to Guess Creek and CO RD 20.

            Thanks
            Betty

          • rgpipes@hughes.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
              Have you checked PENDERGRAFT? They were living beside Hiram GOLD in the
              1930 census. We have GOLD family all over Jackson County area. Let me know
              when you might be in Jackson County cemetery hunting and if I can I would
              like to go with you.
              Regina GRIDER Pipes

              _____

              --- On Thu, 2/4/10, Jewel Casey <jcasey@cafes. <mailto:jcasey%40cafes.net>

              From: Jewel Casey <jcasey@cafes. <mailto:jcasey%40cafes.net> net>
              Church Cemetery.
              To: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com

              Could the name possible be named Guess Cem this is one I have been looking
              for
              Betty

              Does anyone know of a cemetery possibly known as GRASS GRAVEYARD? This name
              is shown on a death certificate that I have for Jesse G. Pendergrass age 5
              years.

              07:35:00

            • Clay Gullatt
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                Betty

                Many people where buried in farm cemeteries and many of those cemeteries have now been plowed or grown over with woods.  Sometimes you can see the outlines of them by using the satellite maps.

                Clay

              • cagle8185@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                  Betty,

                  My ggggrandfather was called Pig Riddle and lived in the NW corner of Jackson County, close to the Madison County line.

                  Bill Cagle

[...]

                • jackie morgan
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Bill Cagle,
                    Do you have any connection to a DENMAN family that lived in Jackson Co., AL and also from Franklin Co. GA?
                    Thanks

                    Jackie Morgan

                    Genealogist & Quilter

                    I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
                    “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…
                                             ...Unknown.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                      Jackie,

                      Do not recall this name.

                      Bill

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                          Pig Riddle's real was John. Do you know him? He married Ruhamba(you spell it?) Green.

                          Bill Cagle

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                              Beech Grove Cemetery located near Francisco Community.
                              Eliza Jane RIDDLE
                              Born Apr. 6, 1838
                              Died Apr. 2, 1918

                              In the family notes it says:
                              Eliza Jane Riddle's husband, John (Rip) Riddle is buried beside her in an unmarked grave.

                              But no FRANKLIN to match the names

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                Betty and Jewel,

                                I feel like there must be some relation to Pig Riddle because he had a female child named Mary Riddle and she married Joe McCure and they had one female child name Eliza. Mary died when Eliza was only 8 years old and Joe was in the pin, for killing a man. Eliza lived with John (Pig) Riddle but was loaned out to other folks as a "house girl". Eliza married Joe Stoval and they were my ggrandparents.

                                Bill Cagle

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                  Yes , that is my Mother's parents.  All the Jesse Green Pendergrass children changed the spelling of their names to Pendergraft.  My Mother remembers living there. This was  a duplex of sorts and she spent a lot of time with them. She is 96 now and doesn't remember details. I should have started this years ago. I'll probably be coming to Scottsboro in April depending on the weather of course.  Do you know if anyone has worked on the Thomas Gold cemetery since 4 years ago?

                                  From: Jewel Casey <jcasey@cafes. <mailto:jcasey% 40cafes.net> net>
                                  Church Cemetery.
                                  To: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongene alogy%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                  yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                    Bill
                                    I guess there is a possiblity that my Riddle and Your Riddle might be related I just found out about Louisa/ Luiza a few years ago.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                      Jewel
                                      I found this Liza Jane too.This is not her.  But thank you for looking. These Franklins have proved to be just as stubering to find, as they were stubering in life. please excuse my spelling
                                      Betty

[...]

                                    • Mary Urban
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 5, 2010
                                        Unsubscribe