Minerva Geron Allen Gullatt

  • T JA
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
      Minerva is my greatgreat-grandmother. Does anyone have information on
      her exact date of death and where she is buried? Also, does anyone
      have the same information on her son John D. Allen. His daughter
      Johnnie (my grandmother) and her sister Martha J. (Mattie Maude) moved
      to the Coryell County, Texas area sometime before 1895 and this is where
      my father was born. I'd like to have more info on my Alabama
      ancestor's if possible.

      Thanks to anyone who can help.

      Tim Allen

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
        Tim

        Minerva the widow of John D. Allen Sr. married  William Gullatt my greatgrandfather James Madison's  oldest brother. Minerva died before 05 Dec 1893 which is when William died and there is no mention of her or her children in the settlement of his estate. He died on Sand Mountain at James M.'s house. Minerva was on the 1880 so she died sometime between 01 Jun 1880 and Dec 1893 I have no record of where she is buried but they were living in Bellefonte and many of the Gullatts are buried in the Hurt Cemetery Northwest of Hollywood so that maybe where she is too.

        I will get back to you tomorrow with more on John D. Allen Jr. ( he died between 1900 and 1910 no record of where he is buried) and the Gerons tomorrow.

        Clay Gullatt
        Mount Airy NC

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 14, 2010
          Clay thanks for your response.   While creating my family tree I did find John D. Allen on the 1900 census living outside Scottsboro with his three sons by Mary Watsch and he was a widower at that time.   I've also seen the book "Solomon Geron and His Descendents 1761-1968 with Minerva listed but it really doesn't reveal a lot about her.   On the 1870 census it  shows William Gullatt and Minerva living with Hetty Eadds.   Do you have any idea who she is?

          Thanks again,

          Tim

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2010
            The 1860 census of Jackson County shows my g-g-grandmother, Minerva Geron lived in Township 4, Range 6 and the 1870 census shows living at Bellefonte Beat 10 with her husband William Gullatt. Do maps exist showing these exact locations?
          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
              Bellefonte is in Township 4 Range 6. William Gullatt own several parcels of land in Township 4 Range 6 and additional parcels of land in other TS & R's. He also owned lots in the town of Bellefonte. He patented over 1000 acres in Jackson County.

              Minerva died sometime between the 1880 Census and William's death in Dec 1893, she is not mentioned in the settlement of his estate by James M. Gullatt, his estate was estimated to be less that two hundred dollars. He was living with James M. on Sand Mountain just north of Dutton when he died.

              From the relatives living around them on the 1860/1870/1880 census, Gants, Pegues, Thompsons and John D. Allen Jr listed as next to them, I am sure they were still living in the Bellefonte area in 1880.

              Most of the Gullatt's and their relatives back then were either burried in the Hurt Cemetery  north west of Hollywood or the Gant Cemetery at Bellefonte, some may have been buried in the Old Bellefonte Cemetery. William may have been buried on Sand Mountain at Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery where James M. and Malissa P. Gullatt are buried. I have a brother that is also buried there.

              Bellefonte slowly died after the railroad was placed to the west of it and Bellefonte Station (present day Hollywood) grew.

              I will scan an email you a copy of TS4 R5 that shows Bellefonte and Hollywood.

              Clay

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
                Thanks Clay.   I'm looking forward to seeing what you send.

                In a previous email I sent you a couple of months ago you mentioned that my great grandfather John D. Allen, Jr. was the son of John D. Allen, Sr.    I had always thought that he was the son of John W. Allen who was married to Minerva but never had any definitive proof.   I've never been able to find any census info on John D. Allen, Sr.  unless I've been looking in the wrong places.  Do you have any census info for John D., Sr?

                Thanks,

                Tim

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
                  Tim

                  John D. Allen is on the 1840 Jackson Co. Census. He is on the 1850 Jackson Co. Mortality Schedule as John D. Allen age 38 d. Dec 1849 b. TN.  Don't know what the middle name was as this is the only way I have seen him listed as John D.

                  Clay

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  The 1860 census of Jackson County shows my g-g-grandmother, Minerva Geron lived in Township 4, Range 6 and the 1870 census shows living at Bellefonte Beat 10 with her husband William Gullatt. Do maps exist showing these exact locations?

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
                    Does anyone know if Jackson Co property records in general are online anywhere?

                  • Clay Gullatt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
                      Karl

                      The only Jackson County land records on line that I know of are the original land patents at the blm website. Someday maybe the property transactions and court records will be on line. The court records likely at the LDS website as they are transcribing records from various counties and states now.

                      Clay

                      Does anyone know if Jackson Co property records in general are online anywhere?

                    • francesl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                        Karl Try this web site http://publicrecords.onelinesearches.com/AL_Jackson.htm
                        They have tax records, deeds and maps I don't know how far back the deeds go. you can't look a the deeds but if you find one you need you can order it online for a $1.00 a page.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                          did the link wrong will try again.
                          http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/AL_Jackcson.htm

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                            Sorry I goofed again the last link will get you to the public records then you have to choose a state and county. will try again to do the one for Jackson county.
                            http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/AL_Jackson

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                                Sorry I goofed again the last link will get you to the public records then you have to choose a state and county. will try again to do the one for Jackson county.
                                http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/AL_Jackson

                                Thank you! I will see what they have.

                              • Karl Plenge
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                                  The only Jackson County land records on line that I know of are the original land patents at the blm website. Someday maybe the property transactions and court records will be on line. The court records likely at the LDS website as they are transcribing records from various counties and states now.

                                  OK, thanks!