Re: [jacksongenealogy] Looking for a grave: C.M.A.J. SISK

  • Amy Christensen
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 16, 2009
      Cindy:

      I have census records for Ambrose from 1850-1910 and for Delila Precise from 1870-1930. I simply can't find the mother, who on the marriage certificate is listed as C.M.A.J. Sisk. The marriage to Ambrose was in 1865, and the birth of Delila 1866, which is in between census takings. I know Ambrose remarried in 1868, and assuming she died in childbirth (which was of course common back then) and that they didn't divorce (which wasn't common then), I don't have the blessing of census records to help me.

      I do appreciate the link you posted though. I didn't know about it, and I look forward to using it more. I was hoping to find the Sisk family on here who might have known about her. There is a document called "Precise family notes" that says C.M.A.J. had a brother named Wesley, and I think I've narrowed the family down from there using earlier census records before she married.

      Thanks for the help!
      Amy

      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
              It's about learning to dance in the rain."

      ________________________________
      From: amyeveonne@...
      Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:25:13 -0800

            Hello all:

      I'm looking for the headstone for C.M.A.J. Sisk, born 16 Feb 1844 in Jackson County, Alabama. She married Ambrose Lafayette Precise in 1865 and they had a child, Delila Francis "Deedie" Precise (born 1866), who later moved to Eastland County, Texas. It seems that she may have died in childbirth with Deedie, but the death date I have is 1891, which I really doubt. Ambrose remarried Phebe Jane Sanders in 1868. C.M.A.J. may have also been called Melissa or Malissa, but I'm not sure of that.

      I already checked findagrave.com with no luck, but I know she's buried somewhere in Jackson County. Is anyone familiar with her? Have any more information on her?

      Thank you so much!

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 16, 2009
        Mark:

        Joy Precise, who is now Joy Lard, is my aunt, and she most likely got the information from my mom (Eveonne). My mom and she were both very involved in family history in the 70s and did a lot of good work back then. Aunt Bertha died back in 1989, but her memory was unrivaled. The only problem is, my mom doesn't remember where the headstone is, or if she ever saw one. She does remember that Aunt Bertha didn't know what the initials CMAJ stood for, but I'm thinking maybe there was a mixup in the death date. Thus the asking here. Bertha Proctor is Robert Bertha Precise, oldest child of John William Precise, who was a son of Ambrose Lafayette Precise & Phebe Jane Sanders.

        I didn't know you could look through past messages here, I appreciate you putting the snippet of Rhonda's message on here again. That was from before I even started on family history work, so I wouldn't have seen it.

        I think I may have narrowed down the family of CMAJ Sisk, with the help of Rhonda Woodard, as I mentioned in another email earlier. It's a tenuous link though. I looked for a Sisk family in Jackson County that had a daughter with a name that started with one of CMAJ's initials born 1844, who had a brother named Wesley (that is from the document "Precise family notes") and came up with the same family that Rhonda had: Willis S Sisk and Francis Nancy Money, with a daughter named Melissa born 1844. I checked on Ancestry and couldn't verify it completely, as none of the family trees had listed Melissa with a spouse or death date. That's as far as I've gotten.

        Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

          From: Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@ yahoo.com>
          To: jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com
          Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2009, 8:35 AM

          Amy

          Have you tried the Jackson Co. Mega Cementery File  at the Group Home Website?

          Clay

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 17, 2009
            Amy -

            Thanks for the additional information on CMAJ Sisk and your search.
            Do I correctly infer that your aunt Joy Precise Lard is no longer
            involved in family history? From the Family Record sheets I saw, she
            did indeed do some good work.

            I'm not sure where my mom got the Family Record sheets -- they may
            have been attached to the letters Joy Lard sent to some of the elder
            Precise's (including my grandfather Elmer Precise).

            I also have a copy of the typescript "Precise Family Notes", but I
            forgot that it mentioned a Wesley, brother of CMAJ. I'll have to go
            back to that document and have another look. When I first went
            through it, I determined that there were a fair number of errors, and
            I didn't use it much after that.

            Finally, if you or anyone have information on the parentage of the
            original Jackson County William PRECISE (b. ~1805, Virginia), or the
            maiden name or parentage of his wife Delilah (b. ~1811, Tennessee),
            I'd be very interested in hearing about that. For William, I've seen
            some stuff on a family in Virginia with surname PROCISE that is
            suggestive, but certainly nothing definitive. Delilah is sometimes
            mentioned as a HAWK or HAWKINS, but I've never seen any real evidence
            or sources to confirm.

            Mark