RE: [jacksongenealogy] Friendship Cemetery

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 10, 2009
      Thank you so much. I checked there first.
      Regina
      _____

      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Friendship Cemetery

      Regina, There are a few here.
      _Find A Grave: Friendship Cemetery_
      (http://www.findagra
      <http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1160617&CScn=Friendsh
      ip&CScntry=4&CSst=3&CScnty=61&>
      ve.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1160617&CScn=Friendship&CScntry=4&CSst=3&
      CScnty=61&)

      Regards, Janis

    • Donna McDaniel
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2009
        Regina,
        I do not live too far from Friendship Cemetary.  Is there something you would like for me to look for?  I can send you a picture if there is someone you are looking for?

        THanks>
        email me directly please if I can help.  donna_m_mcdaniel@...

        Donna

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2009
          I would like to visit there when the weather gets better. Can you tell me
          how to get there from Scottsboro?
          Thanks
          Regina

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2009
            Hello all:

            I'm looking for the headstone for C.M.A.J. Sisk, born 16 Feb 1844 in Jackson County, Alabama. She married Ambrose Lafayette Precise in 1865 and they had a child, Delila Francis "Deedie" Precise (born 1866), who later moved to Eastland County, Texas. It seems that she may have died in childbirth with Deedie, but the death date I have is 1891, which I really doubt. Ambrose remarried Phebe Jane Sanders in 1868. C.M.A.J. may have also been called Melissa or Malissa, but I'm not sure of that.

            I already checked findagrave.com with no luck, but I know she's buried somewhere in Jackson County. Is anyone familiar with her? Have any more information on her?

            Thank you so much!
            Amy

            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
                    It's about learning to dance in the rain."

          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 15, 2009
              Amy

              Have you tried the Jackson Co. Mega Cementery File  at the Group Home Website?

              Clay

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 15, 2009
                Amy

                Ambrose L. Precise is buried in the Shelton Cemetery. Here are the listings:

                A. L. Precise 4-6=1842 11-2-1915
                P. J. Precise 2-14-1844 2-7-1894

                Pheba J. Precise 2-16-1844 3-14-1894

                I wonder if one of these are CMAJ Sisk Precise with the wrong name/dates? More than likely she is buried in the Shelton Cemetery and if one of these are not her then in an unmarked grave as there are many graves marked with just field stones. Some of the field stones have names/dates but were hard to read. This cemetery was last surveyed by Jane and Randy Nichols in 1999.

                Clay

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 2009
                  Amy -

                  I qualify as familiar with C.M.A.J. Sisk, but I don't have any more
                  solid information than you.

                  I do have a photocopy of a handwritten family record sheet prepared
                  by a "Joy Precise" that also shows a death date of 3 Mar 1891. The
                  sheet gives specific sources on CMAJ Sisk as 1) marriage license from
                  Jackson Cty, 2) grave headstone, and 3) "personal knowledge of Bertha
                  Proctor, granddaughter of husband, Route 1, Scottsboro, Ala." I
                  think the sheet was prepared in the 1970s.

                  That death date is only plausible if CMAJ and Ambrose Precise were
                  divorced, but I have no specific knowledge of that. Ambrose married
                  Phebe Jane Sanders in 1868, as you indicated, and later married
                  Cynthia Ann (Kirby) Cobb in 1898.

                  I never located CMAJ (Sisk) Precise in the Jackson County Cemetery
                  Mega File, nor any prior census info on her (although I didn't look
                  hard for the latter).

                  Rhonda Woodard sent a message to this list on 4 Jan 2004, which had
                  the following (snipped):
                  > I am researching Ambrose Precise son of William and Delilah Hawk Precise.
                  > Ambrose married C.M.A.J. Sisk(1865) they had one child Delila born(1866).
                  > This is all that I know about C.M.A.J. Sisk, I cannot locate which of the Sisk
                  > families she is from.

                  That's all I have...

                  Sorry I'm not more help. If you find anything additional, I would be
                  very interested in hearing about it. Ambrose Precise was the brother
                  of my g-g-grandfather John F. Precise.

                  Mark Klan
                  mark *at-sign* markabout.com

                  On 14 Dec 2009 at 20:25, Amy Christensen wrote:
                  > Hello all:
                  >
                  > I'm looking for the headstone for C.M.A.J. Sisk, born 16 Feb 1844 in
                  > Jackson County, Alabama. She married Ambrose Lafayette Precise in
                  > 1865 and they had a child, Delila Francis "Deedie" Precise (born
                  > 1866), who later moved to Eastland County, Texas. It seems that she
                  > may have died in childbirth with Deedie, but the death date I have
                  > is 1891, which I really doubt. Ambrose remarried Phebe Jane Sanders
                  > in 1868. C.M.A.J. may have also been called Melissa or Malissa, but
                  > I'm not sure of that.
                  >
                  > I already checked findagrave.com with no luck, but I know she's
                  > buried somewhere in Jackson County. Is anyone familiar with her?
                  > Have any more information on her?
                  >
                  > Thank you so much!
                  > Amy
                • Cindy Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 15, 2009
                    Amy,

                    Do you have the census records for this family? There is quite a bit on Ambrose Precise at http://pilot.familysearch.org The census for 1850 - 1900. Then if you search Delilah Precise there are death records of her children in Texas. A search of Delilah Dolberry gives her death certificate in Texas.

                    Cindy Smith

                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 16, 2009
                      Cindy:

                      I have census records for Ambrose from 1850-1910 and for Delila Precise from 1870-1930. I simply can't find the mother, who on the marriage certificate is listed as C.M.A.J. Sisk. The marriage to Ambrose was in 1865, and the birth of Delila 1866, which is in between census takings. I know Ambrose remarried in 1868, and assuming she died in childbirth (which was of course common back then) and that they didn't divorce (which wasn't common then), I don't have the blessing of census records to help me.

                      I do appreciate the link you posted though. I didn't know about it, and I look forward to using it more. I was hoping to find the Sisk family on here who might have known about her. There is a document called "Precise family notes" that says C.M.A.J. had a brother named Wesley, and I think I've narrowed the family down from there using earlier census records before she married.

                      Thanks for the help!

                      ________________________________

                      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 16, 2009
                        Mark:

                        Joy Precise, who is now Joy Lard, is my aunt, and she most likely got the information from my mom (Eveonne). My mom and she were both very involved in family history in the 70s and did a lot of good work back then. Aunt Bertha died back in 1989, but her memory was unrivaled. The only problem is, my mom doesn't remember where the headstone is, or if she ever saw one. She does remember that Aunt Bertha didn't know what the initials CMAJ stood for, but I'm thinking maybe there was a mixup in the death date. Thus the asking here. Bertha Proctor is Robert Bertha Precise, oldest child of John William Precise, who was a son of Ambrose Lafayette Precise & Phebe Jane Sanders.

                        I didn't know you could look through past messages here, I appreciate you putting the snippet of Rhonda's message on here again. That was from before I even started on family history work, so I wouldn't have seen it.

                        I think I may have narrowed down the family of CMAJ Sisk, with the help of Rhonda Woodard, as I mentioned in another email earlier. It's a tenuous link though. I looked for a Sisk family in Jackson County that had a daughter with a name that started with one of CMAJ's initials born 1844, who had a brother named Wesley (that is from the document "Precise family notes") and came up with the same family that Rhonda had: Willis S Sisk and Francis Nancy Money, with a daughter named Melissa born 1844. I checked on Ancestry and couldn't verify it completely, as none of the family trees had listed Melissa with a spouse or death date. That's as far as I've gotten.

                        Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

                        Amy

                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
                                It's about learning to dance in the rain."

                        ________________________________
                        I qualify as familiar with C.M.A.J. Sisk, but I don't have any more
                        solid information than you.

                        I do have a photocopy of a handwritten family record sheet prepared
                        by a "Joy Precise" that also shows a death date of 3 Mar 1891. The
                        sheet gives specific sources on CMAJ Sisk as 1) marriage license from
                        Jackson Cty, 2) grave headstone, and 3) "personal knowledge of Bertha
                        Proctor, granddaughter of husband, Route 1, Scottsboro, Ala." I
                        think the sheet was prepared in the 1970s.

                        That death date is only plausible if CMAJ and Ambrose Precise were
                        divorced, but I have no specific knowledge of that. Ambrose married
                        Phebe Jane Sanders in 1868, as you indicated, and later married
                        Cynthia Ann (Kirby) Cobb in 1898.

                        I never located CMAJ (Sisk) Precise in the Jackson County Cemetery
                        Mega File, nor any prior census info on her (although I didn't look
                        hard for the latter).

                        Rhonda Woodard sent a message to this list on 4 Jan 2004, which had
                        the following (snipped):
                        > I am researching Ambrose Precise son of William and Delilah Hawk Precise.
                        > Ambrose married C.M.A.J. Sisk(1865) they had one child Delila born(1866).
                        > This is all that I know about C.M.A.J. Sisk, I cannot locate which of the Sisk
                        > families she is from.

                        That's all I have...

                        Sorry I'm not more help. If you find anything additional, I would be
                        very interested in hearing about it. Ambrose Precise was the brother
                        of my g-g-grandfather John F. Precise.

                        Mark Klan
                        mark *at-sign* markabout.com

                        On 14 Dec 2009 at 20:25, Amy Christensen wrote:
                        > Hello all:
                        >
                        > I'm looking for the headstone for C.M.A.J. Sisk, born 16 Feb 1844 in
                        > Jackson County, Alabama. She married Ambrose Lafayette Precise in
                        > 1865 and they had a child, Delila Francis "Deedie" Precise (born
                        > 1866), who later moved to Eastland County, Texas. It seems that she
                        > may have died in childbirth with Deedie, but the death date I have
                        > is 1891, which I really doubt. Ambrose remarried Phebe Jane Sanders
                        > in 1868. C.M.A.J. may have also been called Melissa or Malissa, but
                        > I'm not sure of that.
                        >
                        > I already checked findagrave.com with no luck, but I know she's
                        > buried somewhere in Jackson County. Is anyone familiar with her?
                        > Have any more information on her?
                        >
                        > Thank you so much!
                        > Amy

                      • Amy Christensen

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 17, 2009
                            Amy -

                            Thanks for the additional information on CMAJ Sisk and your search.
                            Do I correctly infer that your aunt Joy Precise Lard is no longer
                            involved in family history? From the Family Record sheets I saw, she
                            did indeed do some good work.

                            I'm not sure where my mom got the Family Record sheets -- they may
                            have been attached to the letters Joy Lard sent to some of the elder
                            Precise's (including my grandfather Elmer Precise).

                            I also have a copy of the typescript "Precise Family Notes", but I
                            forgot that it mentioned a Wesley, brother of CMAJ. I'll have to go
                            back to that document and have another look. When I first went
                            through it, I determined that there were a fair number of errors, and
                            I didn't use it much after that.

                            Finally, if you or anyone have information on the parentage of the
                            original Jackson County William PRECISE (b. ~1805, Virginia), or the
                            maiden name or parentage of his wife Delilah (b. ~1811, Tennessee),
                            I'd be very interested in hearing about that. For William, I've seen
                            some stuff on a family in Virginia with surname PROCISE that is
                            suggestive, but certainly nothing definitive. Delilah is sometimes
                            mentioned as a HAWK or HAWKINS, but I've never seen any real evidence
                            or sources to confirm.

                            Mark