Turnpike

  • Cindy Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
      So sorry I forgot to change the subject line.

      My James Adkins Morgan would have been only 14 years old in 1853. Is it likely that a 14 year old would run a turnpike? This might not be my James Morgan.

      Can anyone help me with this record? The writing was not very clear in the Jackson County Road Book, but I think this is what it says:

      "Ordered by the Court that James Morgan et al be and they are hereby allowed the privilege to carry on a Turnpike Alley in the town of Larkinsville in said county for the term of six months from this date he they having paid the state and county tax imposed by law."

      The word Turnpike is not very clear, but Alley is clear.

      Does anyone have any information about the operation of private turnpikes in Jackson County? Or the location of the Larkinsville turnpike?

      Thank you,

      Cindy Holdridge Smith