NEED HELP READING 2 1870 JACKSON CO AL CENSUS RECORDS

  • TOM F DUNKLIN
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 14, 2009
      Again it seems, I need the assistance of this group to help with the correct spelling of the surnames shown on the 1870 Jackson county census records. Apparently I am unable to determine the correct surname spellings as I've been unable to find this family on other records.

      1870 Scottsboro, Jackson Co AL Census
      HH# 43-42
      David Wenrick ?              27  w/m    Carpenter                  b. PA  (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
      Manerva  "   "                  22  w/f     Keeping house            b GA   (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
      William Wilson                68  w/m                                      b. SC   (estimate "                  "   1802)
      Josephine Chunscer?       10  w/f                                        b.AL    (estimate "                  "   1860)

      Also trying to determine if the James Wilson shown below on the 1870 Bellfort, Jackson Co, AL census could be a sibling to the above Manerva.
      HH# 37
      James Wilson            22    w/m    works on farm    born GA
      Louisa   "                   20    w/f                                    "   AL
      Mary J  "                    1     w/f                                        AL

      I'm thinking that the William Wilson and the Minerva Wilson shown below in GA in 1850 may be the same people on the above census. If so, this would finally help me connect my GA Wilsons to the Jackson Co AL area. I tracked them to DeKalb Co AL in 1860 but lost them after that. I've tried to track down each and everyone of the individuals below after 1860 but have failed to do so.

      1850 Armuchee/Armuchey, Walker Co, GA census:
      HH # 454
      William Wilson  age 49,    mechanic  w/m born SC (ca 1801)
      Sarah          35     wife  w/f "       SC (ca 1815)
      Benj. W. E.          21     son  w/m "       SC (ca 1829)
      Mary M.          14     dau  w/f "       SC (ca 1837)
      Abbey L.          12     dau  w/f "       SC (ca 1838)
      Martha A.          11     dau                 w/f "       SC (ca 1839)
      James            9     son  w/m "       SC (ca 1841)
      Suzy C            7     dau  w/f "       GA (ca 1843)
      Jerry M            5 son  w/m "       GA (ca 1845)
      Minerva J           3     dau  w/f "       GA (ca 1847)
      Sarah E.            1 dau  w/f "       GA (ca 1849)

      I would appreciate any and all information on this Wilson family that anyone might have as my information on my Wilson ancestors is severely limited and I'm so hoping these could be mine.

      Sure hope someone can help me,
      Paula

    • Karl Plenge
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
        > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b. PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
        > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
        > William Wilson 68 w/m b. SC (estimate " " 1802)
        > Josephine Chunscer? 10 w/f b.AL (estimate " " 1860)

        I certainly read this the same way you do. Note that the census taker spelled Wilson with 2 L's, whether this was right or not we don't know. Josephine's name also looks like it could possibly be Chumcer.

        In general, the census takers didn't do the greatest job with spelling.

        Sometimes when I can't locate someone in another census, it works to search by first name and birthplace and approximate age and then look in the results for a last name that looks like it could be close. (I have noted that not everyone aged "exactly" 10 years between each census - and also that occasionally their birthplace changes! :-) )

      • TOM F DUNKLIN
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
          Thanks so much for the reply. I made the assumption that I was mis-reading the name because I could not find another person who might fit, even using wild cards and other little tricks. And the fact that Josephine's surname looked so odd just re-enforced my thoughts that they were both totally "off base" about the correct spellings.

          I'll keep trying to find these people and hopefully learn more about the Wilson and Willson families living in the Jackson County area during the late 1800's. I feel pretty sure that my Walker Co GA Wilsons left there in the 1850's, moved to DeKalb Co AL around the 1860's and I'm hoping were in and around Jackson Co after that.

          Again, my thanks,
          Paula

          ________________________________
          > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b. PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
          > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
          > William Wilson 68 w/m b. SC (estimate " " 1802)
          > Josephine Chunscer? 10 w/f b.AL (estimate " " 1860)

          I certainly read this the same way you do. Note that the census taker spelled Wilson with 2 L's, whether this was right or not we don't know. Josephine's name also looks like it could possibly be Chumcer.

          In general, the census takers didn't do the greatest job with spelling.

          Sometimes when I can't locate someone in another census, it works to search by first name and birthplace and approximate age and then look in the results for a last name that looks like it could be close. (I have noted that not everyone aged "exactly" 10 years between each census - and also that occasionally their birthplace changes! :-) )

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
            Jessie J. Brandon Griffith, the lady who did the 1870 Jackson County census book in 1989 read that name as:

            David WARNICK 27 PA
            Manerva 22 GA
            Wm. WILSON 66 SC
            Josephine CHAMLER 10 AL but she has a question mark at the surname for Josephine meaning she could not read it clearly.

            Now, perhaps if you knew who Manerva married you would know how to pronounce David's name and also if Josephine is a grand daughter of William Wilson which would also give you another lead.

            Not trying to butt in, just thought this might help.

            My great grandfather Greenberry Hambrick had a son Joseph Hambrick born ca 1821 Lincoln County, TN; married 1st on 22 Oct. 1840 Winchester, Franklin County, TN to Bethena Wilson; daughter of Elizabeth Wilson; born ca 1825; died Aug. 1850 Princeton, Jackson County, AL. probably buried at Hambrick Sinks Cemetery on Dry Creek Road.
            CHILDREN: Ruth, (1841) Alfred(1843), John(1845, Bethena (1849), J.W. (1850) HAMBRICK.

            Joseph Hambrick married 2nd to Margaret Blackburn 16 Feb. 1852 Madison County, AL

            1850 Jackson County, AL
            Joseph Hambrick 32 TN
            Ruth 9 AL
            Alfred 7 AL
            John 4 AL
            Bethena 1 AL
            Elizabeth WILSON 55 TN

            Jewel

            > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b. PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
            > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
            > William Wilson 68 w/m b. SC (estimate " " 1802)
            > Josephine Chunscer? 10 w/f b.AL (estimate " " 1860)

            I certainly read this the same way you do. Note that the census taker spelled Wilson with 2 L's, whether this was right or not we don't know. Josephine's name also looks like it could possibly be Chumcer.

            In general, the census takers didn't do the greatest job with spelling.

            Sometimes when I can't locate someone in another census, it works to search by first name and birthplace and approximate age and then look in the results for a last name that looks like it could be close. (I have noted that not everyone aged "exactly" 10 years between each census - and also that occasionally their birthplace changes! :-) )

          • James and Barbara Dooley
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
              Paula, I think we may have corresponded before about our Wilsons and could
              not find a connection. But, just in case we didn't, I'll tell you where my
              Wilsons were.

              In 1850 my gt.gt.grandfather, Richard Wilson (with wife Jane and 4
              children: Richard, Joseph, Benj., and Effy N.) was in Walker Co., E.
              Chickamauga. His daughter, Mary T. Wilson Newton, was next door. Next to
              the Newtons was Richard's son, John Simon Wilson (my gt.grandfather).

              In 1860 two of these households, Richard and the Newtons, were in Catoosa
              Co., which had been formed by then. It's possible they did not move, but
              were simply now in the new county. John Simon was by then in Hamilton Co., TN.

              In 1900 two of John Simon's children were in Jackson Co., AL. Jane Wilson
              Line, married to Samuel Line; and William Jonas Wilson (my grandfather). We
              have figured that Wm. J. followed his older sister, Jane, from McMinn Co.,
              TN, to AL. Later the Lines moved to TX, and Wm. J. went back to TN. To
              Hamilton Co.

              Can you see any possibility of a match? It was the locations of yours and
              mine that interested me.

              Barbara Wilson Dooley

              At 02:44 PM 11/15/2009, you wrote:

              >Thanks so much for the reply. I made the assumption that I was mis-reading
              >the name because I could not find another person who might fit, even using
              >wild cards and other little tricks. And the fact that Josephine's surname
              >looked so odd just re-enforced my thoughts that they were both totally
              >"off base" about the correct spellings.
              >
              >I'll keep trying to find these people and hopefully learn more about the
              >Wilson and Willson families living in the Jackson County area during the
              >late 1800's. I feel pretty sure that my Walker Co GA Wilsons left there in
              >the 1850's, moved to DeKalb Co AL around the 1860's and I'm hoping were in
              >and around Jackson Co after that.
              >
              >Again, my thanks,
              >Paula
              >
              >________________________________

            • Ann B. Chambless
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                After studying all the names on the microfilm of the original 1870
                census, it is very obvious that 1870 enumerator John Wingo could NOT
                spell. I recognized all David Wenrick's and William Wilson's neighbors
                and immediately saw that enumerator Wingo had misspelled more than half
                the names. For example, one neighbor was the John Bynum family, but
                Bynum was spelled Binom.
                ALSO, a close examination of 10 year old Josephine's last name makes me
                suspect it was probably Chambers.
                I also checked 1850 Pennsylvania census records and found both Wenrick
                and Wenrich families, with Wenrich more prevalent.
                One other observation: William Wilson was enumerated as a mechanic on
                the 1860 census. In that time period mechanic was the terminology used
                for carpenter . This could tie in to David Wenrick/Wenrich's
                occupation of carpenter shown on the 1870 Jackson Co, AL census.
                There was a great deal of building going on in Scottsboro in 1870. The
                first court house in Scottsboro was built in 1870, and many houses were
                constructed in that time period because the county seat had been moved
                from old Bellefonte to Scottsboro in 1868, and the business/professional
                people followed the county government move to Scottsboro.
                Ann B. Chambless

                > 1870 Scottsboro, Jackson Co AL Census
                > HH# 43-42
                > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b.
                > PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
                > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b
                > GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
                > William Wilson 68
                > w/m b. SC (estimate
                > " " 1802)
                > Josephine Chunscer? 10
                > w/f b.AL (estimate
                > " " 1860)

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2009
                  A correction has been added to the 1870 Census by Donna Windrix correcting the spelling of David Wenrick to David Windrix.

                  On the 1880 Census another correction to the following.

                  1880 Township 4 Range 5
                  William Clemens 21 Self Farmer TN VA TN
                  Jane 25 Wife Keeping House TN GA GA
                  Dollie 10 Dau At Home AL TN TN
                  William 7 Son AL TN TN

                  Donna Windrix corrected surname of Dollie and William to Windrix.

                  William is also listed with Mack and A.L. Dodge as William Windrick.

                  Dollie A. Windrix m. John White 25 Dec 1887
                  William Windricks m. Lou Worsham 3 Feb 1895

                  Josephine's last name looks like Chambers to me.

                  I did not find a marriage for William and Jane Clemens.

                  Clay

                  1870 Scottsboro, Jackson Co AL Census
                  > HH# 43-42
                  > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b.
                  > PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
                  > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b
                  > GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
                  > William Wilson 68
                  > w/m b. SC (estimate
                  > " " 1802)
                  > Josephine Chunscer? 10
                  > w/f b.AL (estimate
                  > " " 1860)

                • TOM F DUNKLIN
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
                    Thanks, Jewel. I'll try looking at Warnick and see what I find since I haven't had any luck with Wenrick or Wenrich yet. I appreciate your help.

                    ________________________________

                    > David Wenrick ? 27 w/m Carpenter b. PA (estimate birth date as ca 1843)
                    > Manerva " " 22 w/f Keeping house b GA (estimate birth date as ca 1848)
                    > William Wilson 68 w/m b. SC (estimate " " 1802)
                    > Josephine Chunscer? 10 w/f b.AL (estimate " " 1860)

                    I certainly read this the same way you do. Note that the census taker spelled Wilson with 2 L's, whether this was right or not we don't know. Josephine's name also looks like it could possibly be Chumcer.

                    In general, the census takers didn't do the greatest job with spelling.

                    Sometimes when I can't locate someone in another census, it works to search by first name and birthplace and approximate age and then look in the results for a last name that looks like it could be close. (I have noted that not everyone aged "exactly" 10 years between each census - and also that occasionally their birthplace changes! :-) )

                  • Cindy Smith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
                      Can anyone help me with this record? The writing was not very clear in the Jackson County Road Book, but I think this is what it says:

                      "Ordered by the Court that James Morgan et al be and they are hereby allowed the privilege to carry on a Turnpike Alley in the town of Larkinsville in said county for the term of six months from this date he they having paid the state and county tax imposed by law."

                      The word Turnpike is not very clear, but Alley is clear.

                      Does anyone have any information about the operation of private turnpikes in Jackson County? Or the location of the Larkinsville turnpike?

                      THank you,

                      Cindy Holdridge Smith

                    • Cindy Smith