Hastings/Shankles

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
      My great grandfather was Thomas Bailey Hastings of Aspell, Jackson County.  Oral family history is that he had been illegitimate.

      I believe his mother was Mary C. Hastings and her parents were Robert J. Hastings and Mary E. Shankles.  I'm looking for ways I can confirm this.

      Robert died before 1880 and Mary E. appears on her parents household  (Rev John C. =
      Shankles) in 1880 Census with all 4 of her children including our Mary C..

      This is Tom's mother Mary C. Hastings, daughter of Mary E. Shankles and Robe=
      rt J. Hastings in the 1900 Census

      1900 Federal Census
      Hunt Store, Jackson, Alabama
      Mary C or E Hastings 42 (AL)
      Levy Hastings 17
      Thomas B Hastings 8
      Lora B Hastings 7

      According to this record Mary E. was born Sept 1859 in Alabama.  She is widowed in this census and shows 4 living children so there is one missing.

      I also found a WWI Draft Registration card for Thomas Bailey Hastings that
      shows a birth date of 27 Nov 1889.  The 1900 Census record for the Thomas B. above also showed a November birth month and shows 1891 as the birth year.

      I shows a city that he was born in and it looks like "Shavie" to me but I can't make it out.

      Right next to Mary E. in the 1900 Census is a Daniel Hastings.  I also found him in the 1910 Census and in that census he shows a birth state of Tennessee.

      1900 Federal Census
      Hunt Store, Jackson, Alabama
      Daniel Hastings 22 (AL)
      Hester Hastings 20

      1910 Federal Census
      Hunts Store, Jackson, Alabama
      Dan Hastings 26 (TN)
      Hellen Hastings 24
      Mamie Hastings 9
      Dollie Hastings 5
      Pearle Hastings 3
      Joe Hastings 2

      I first thought this was her 4th child but then I found a ancestry.com usehas a Daniel Ross Hastings, son of Stephen M Hastings and Hannah Shankles.   This is where it gets interesting because I found what I believe to be Mary E. Hastings living with some Shankles:

      1880 Federal Census
      Beat 24, Jackson, Alabama
      John Shankles 65
      Classary Shankles 63
      Mary E. Hastings 31 (dau)
      Mary C. Hastings 18
      Nancy J. Hastings 16
      Robert H. Hastings 16
      Sarah C. Hastings 13

      She is listed as a daughter and the other Hastings as grandchildren.

      Interestingly enough two of John Shankles daughters married a Stephen M. Hstings who was Robert J. Hastings brother.  Daughter Nancy Shankles is seen with Stephen M. on the 1850 Census

      1850 Federal Census
      District 23, Marshall, Alabama
      Stephen M Hasting 24 (TN)
      Nancy Hasting 19
      Martha C Hasting 3
      Sarah E Hasting 2

      She died in 1859 a another daughter of John Shankles, Hannah marries Stephen M. Hastings.  They are seen together on the 1860-80 Census

      1860 Federal Census
      Northern Division, De Kalb, Alabama
      Stephen Hasting 37
      Hanna Hasting 18
      Martha Hasting 14
      Sarah Hasting 12
      James Hasting 10
      John Hasting 8
      Malinda Hasting 6

      1870 Federal Census
      Kirbys Mill, Jackson, Alabama
      Stephen M Hastings 46 (TN)
      Hannah Hastings 27
      Martha Hastings 22
      James Hastings 20
      John Hastings 17
      Melinda Hastings 15
      Lind A Hastings 8
      Nancy A Hastings 5
      Stephen Hastings 4
      Joseph Hastings 2

      1880 Federal Census
      District 16, Franklin, Tennessee
      S. N. Hastings 56
      Hanah K. Hastings 57
      Lucinda P. Hastings 20
      Nancy Ann Hastings 17
      Stephen W. H. Hastings 14
      Joseph Hastings 13
      Lukis Allen Hastings 11
      Martin Hastings 8
      Margarett Hastings 8
      Thomis Farley Hastings 5
      George M. Hastings 4
      Daniel Ross Hastings 2

      This is the 1850 Census which shows Mary Shankles

      1850 Federal Census
      District 24, De Kalb, Alabama
      John Shankles 33
      Clericy Shankles 31
      Sarah Shankles 15
      Robert Shankles 14
      William Shankles 12
      Jesse G Shankles 10
      Mary Shankles 8
      Hannah Shankles 7
      James Shankles 5
      Samuel Shankles 3
      Catharine Shankles 1

      This is Robert in his father's 1850 household.  By then his older Stephen M  has his own household.

      1850 Federal Census
      District 23, Marshall, Alabama
      Stephen Hasting 57 (NC)
      Catharine Hasting 54
      Robert Hasting 18

      This is Tom's family:

      1920 Federal Census
      Aspel, Jackson, Alabama
      Thomas B Hasting 30 (AL)
      Maggie Hasting 27
      Thomas L Hasting 7
      Chester Hasting 4 4/12
      John L Hasting 2

      1930 Federal Census
      Aspel, Jackson, Alabama
      Tomas Hasting 38
      Maggie Hasting 37
      Lawrence Hasting 17
      Chester Hasting 14
      Luther Hasting 12
      Raymond Hasting 9
      Pauline Hasting 5
      Mary Guffey 23

    • James and Barbara Dooley
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
        Hello, Charles McCutcheon. We haven't corresponded in ages--about Larkins,
        that is.

        I noticed your reference here to "Shavie." There is a Chavies on Sand
        Mountain in DeKalb Co., AL. Do you think that could be it?

        Barbara Dooley

      • PATG31@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
          Mary E. Shankle or Shankles was the sister of my ancestor, Jesse G.
          Shankle. Their parents were John and Clarissa Proctor Shankles. They had a sister
          Hannah who married Stephen Hastings, Jr., brother of Robert. Guess these men
          liked Shankles women as they each married twice, both times to Shankles.
          Their first wives were not children of John and Clarissa. This Shankle family
          indeed lived at Chavies at one time. Unfortunately, the following is all I
          have on Mary E. Shankle who married Robert Hastings.

          Descendants of Robert J. Hastings

          1 Robert J. Hastings b: Abt. 1832 in Tennessee d: Bef. 1880
          .. +Cerelda Caroline Shankles d: Bef. 1859 m: Jul 1853 in Marshall County
          Alabama
          *2nd Wife of Robert J. Hastings:
          .. +Mary E. Shankle b: Abt. 1841 m: 17 Jul 1859 in Dekalb County, Alabama
          ........ 2 Mary C. Hastings b: Abt. 1862
          ........ 2 Robert M. Hastings b: 18 May 1863
          ........ 2 Nancy J. Hastings b: Abt. 1864
          ........ 2 Sarah C. Hastings b: Abt. 1867

          Stephen Hastings Jr. and Hannah Shankle had a son named Daniel Ross
          Hastings.

          Pat

        • Charles McCutchen
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
            I think you might be right and that he misspelled it on his draft card. Good catch!

            Thanks,
            Charlie

            At 09:41 AM 10/5/2009, you wrote:

            >According to this record Mary E. was born Sept 1859 in Alabama. She is

            >widowed in this census and shows 4 living children so there is one missing.

            >I also found a WWI Draft Registration card for Thomas Bailey Hastings that

            >shows a birth date of 27 Nov 1889. The 1900 Census record for the Thomas

            >B. above also showed a November birth month and shows 1891 as the birth year.

            >I shows a city that he was born in and it looks like "Shavie" to me but I

            >can't make it out.

          • James and Barbara Dooley
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
              You're welcome! Hope it turns out to be the right place.
              Barbara

            • PATG31@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                Yes. the Shankle family lived at Chavies. I have my great grandfather's
                Bible and it says he was born at Chavies, Dekalb County, Alabama. I sent an
                email yesterday about this.

                Pat

              • Charles McCutchen
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Excellent I think I'm in the right direction then.   Do you think I could get a picture of the bible?

                  I've done some digging and I believe brother Stephen M. Hastings and Robert J. Hastings both married Shankles twice.

                  Stephen married sisters Nancy Jane and Hannah, daughters of Rev. John Shankles and Clarissa Proctor.

                  Robert J. Hastings married Cerelda Caroline Shankles in 1853.  Cerelda Caroline Shankles was the daughter of George Shankles who was brother to Rev. John Shankles.  After her death he married her first cousin Mary  E. Shankles in 1869.  Mary E. was another daughter of Rev. John Shankles.

                  Confusing stuff but I'm getting it sorted out.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                    I tried to write you personally but it came back.

                    Hannah and Mary E. were sisters but Nancy Jane was not their sister. Nancy
                    married Stephen Hastings in July 1845 Marshall County, Alabama. John Shankle
                    was born in 1815 so he would only have been 30 years of age in 1845... not
                    old enough himself to have a daughter old enough to marry. There is some
                    speculation that she may have been a sister to John but I have no proof.

                    I don't show Cerelda Caroline as one of George's daughters but I suppose
                    she could be, however she was she was not on the 1850 Dekalb County census
                    with the rest of the family. She married in 1853 Marshall County, Alabama.

                    My scanner is not working right now so I can't scan the bible. I need to
                    get my son over to look at it.

                    Pat

                  • rgpipes@hughes.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 6, 2009
                      On the 1870 Jackson County census there is SHANKLE and HASTINGS living next
                      door to each other. You may want to check these out.
                      Regina

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2009
                        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <rgpipes@...> wrote:

                        I wonder if any of the Hasting's mentioned are any relation to Buddy Hasting's and his wife Vrel, That is a bad spelling they had a son named Bobbie. Vrel was a Nurse I do not know what Buddy did. But his Birth date had to be around 1919?
                        John Larry Hamilton

                        > On the 1870 Jackson County census there is SHANKLE and HASTINGS living next
                        > door to each other. You may want to check these out.
                        > Regina
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Charles McCutchen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 8, 2009
                          Pat,

                          If you would could you keep your eyes open for a Levi Hastings.  I believe he is a son of Robert J. Hastings and first wife Cerelda Caroline Shankles.

                          Thanks,
                          Charlie

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 9, 2009
                            My grandfather was Buster Eli Hastings, brother of Thomas B, Levy and Noni (Loni)B. Hastings. My understanding, also, is that their parents were never married. Their Mother was Mary C. Hastings and father's first name was Ealy (Eli).

                            My grandfather was born approx. 1902. Aunt B (as my cousin called her) lived in Texas. It would be great to find out more about the family.