CIVIL WAR UNITS from Jackson County, AL

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
      *The following military units are listed as being from Jackson County,
      AL, on the Alabama Depaartment of Archives and History's website:
      *

      *JACKSON COUNTY*

      Alabama Highland Dragoons
      Cowart's Company
      Nitre and Mining Corps Guards
      Gunter's Company
      Jackson Hornets
      Jackson Rifles
      Jackson Sharpshooters
      Princeton Guards
      Smith's Cavalry Company
      Young's Guards

      DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE of the highligted ALABAMA HIGHLAND DRAGOONS???

      Ann B. Chambless

    • Cindy Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
        In a search of Google Books, I found this: Alabama History By Joel Campbell Du Bose, p. 144

        Alabama Generals in the Confederate Army.�> Of Confederate generals it may be said that John B. Gordon enlisted as captain of the Highland Dragoons,
        the "Raccoon Roughs," of Jackson county. R. E. Rodes led one division
        of Jackson's corps at Chancellorsville, sending panic into the lines of
        Hooker; commanded the troops of the seriously wounded General A. P.
        Hill, and was complimented by Lee's sending a special officer to
        commend his conduct at Gettysburg; he died from a shell wound at Winchester.

        Cindy Holdridge Smith

        *The following military units are listed as being from Jackson County,

        AL, on the Alabama Depaartment of Archives and History's website:

        *

        *JACKSON COUNTY*

        Alabama Highland Dragoons

        Cowart's Company

        Nitre and Mining Corps Guards

        Gunter's Company

        Jackson Hornets

        Jackson Rifles

        Jackson Sharpshooters

        Princeton Guards

        Smith's Cavalry Company

        Young's Guards

        DOES ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE of the highligted ALABAMA HIGHLAND DRAGOONS???

        Ann B. Chambless

        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp
        {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;padding:0px 14px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp hr
        {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp #ecxhd
        {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp #ecxads
        {margin-bottom:10px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp .ecxad
        {padding:0 0;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mkp .ecxad a
        {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}

        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxygrp-lc
        {font-family:Arial;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxygrp-lc #ecxhd
        {font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxygrp-lc .ecxad
        {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg
        {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg table
        {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg select, .ExternalClass input, .ExternalClass textarea
        {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg pre, .ExternalClass code
        {font:115% monospace;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg ecx*
        {line-height:1.22em;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-text
        {font-family:Georgia;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-text p
        {;}
        .ExternalClass dd.ecxlast p a
        {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-vitnav
        {padding-top:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-size:77%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-vitnav a
        {padding:0 1px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg #ecxlogo
        {padding-bottom:10px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-reco
        {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-reco #ecxreco-head
        {font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxreco-category
        {font-size:77%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxreco-desc
        {font-size:77%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-vital a
        {text-decoration:none;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-vital a:hover
        {text-decoration:underline;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxov ul
        {padding:0 0 0 8px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxov li
        {list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;font-size:77%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxov li a
        {text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor #ecxnc
        {background-color:#eee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:0 8px;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor .ecxad
        {padding:8px 0;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor .ecxad #ecxhd1
        {font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:122%;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor .ecxad a
        {text-decoration:none;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor .ecxad a:hover
        {text-decoration:underline;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-sponsor .ecxad p
        {font-weight:normal;color:#000000;}
        .ExternalClass ecxo
        {font-size:0;}
        .ExternalClass .ecxMsoNormal
        {;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-text tt
        {font-size:120%;}
        .ExternalClass blockquote
        {;}
        .ExternalClass .ecxreplbq
        {;}
        .ExternalClass dd.ecxlast p span
        {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;}
        .ExternalClass dd.ecxlast p span.ecxyshortcuts
        {margin-right:0;}
        .ExternalClass div.ecxphoto-title a, .ExternalClass div.ecxphoto-title a:active, .ExternalClass div.ecxphoto-title a:hover, .ExternalClass div.ecxphoto-title a:visited
        {text-decoration:none;}
        .ExternalClass div.ecxfile-title a, .ExternalClass div.ecxfile-title a:active, .ExternalClass div.ecxfile-title a:hover, .ExternalClass div.ecxfile-title a:visited
        {text-decoration:none;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-msg ecxp#attach-count
        {clear:both;padding:15px 0 3px 0;overflow:hidden;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-msg ecxp#attach-count span
        {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:bold;}
        .ExternalClass ecxdiv#ygrp-mlmsg #ecxygrp-msg p a span.ecxyshortcuts
        {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-msg p a
        {font-family:Verdana;}
        .ExternalClass #ecxygrp-mlmsg a
        {color:#1E66AE;}
        .ExternalClass div.ecxattach-table div div a
        {text-decoration:none;}
        .ExternalClass div.ecxattach-table
        {width:400px;}

      • Cindy Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
          You get better results searching for the Raccoon Roughs.

          Here is a story about them.

          http://www.heritage-history.com/www/heritage.php?Dir=books&MenuItem=display&author=morris&book=american2&story=raccoon

          http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cescott/gordon.html

          Here is a book by John Brown Gordon: Reminiscences of the Civil War. You can find it in Google Books, or with a general Google search of Raccoon Roughs.

          Cindy

          To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: rabc123@...
          Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:48:06 -0500
          Subject: [jacksongenealogy] CIVIL WAR UNITS from Jackson County, AL

        • kdavenpo@tx.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2009
            Thanks for that reference, Ann! I found my gggf Josiah S Hall here -
            http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/soldier.cfm?id=79412
            As recorded by Jackson Co Tax Assessor in 1907; definitely him from the birthdate and living in Larkin. It says he served in the "Home Guard". Any idea what that was?

            Kyle