HOLDEN HIL

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
      Holden Hill married Paulina/Pauline Cook on August 31, 1845, in Franklin
      County, TN. According to land deeds (cited in paragraph two below),
      Holden Hill and his Hill family owned land and lived about half way
      between Francisco and Swaim in Paint Rock Valley which is in the
      northwestern corner of Jackson County, AL.
      On Sep 24, 1832, Holden Hill purchased the Southeast quarter of the
      southeast quarter of Section 17, Township 1, Range 4 East (40.0425
      acres) under Warrant No. 5216. On December 31, 1836, Holden Hill
      purchased the Northwest quarter of the Southeast quarter of Section 8,
      Township 1, Range 4 East (40.0125 acres) under Warrant No. 10890. On
      July 13, 1858, Holden Hill purchased the Northwest quarter of the
      Northwest quarter of Section 15, Township 1, range 4 East (40.1925
      acres) under Warrant No. 28783. The land in Section is on the west side
      of Larkins Fork Creek and Alabama Highway 65. The land in Section 17
      was a little south of that in Section 8 and was on the east side of Hwy
      65. In fact, Hwy 65 probably runs through this 40 acres.
      The land in Section 15 was about two miles due east of the land in
      Section 17. The land in Section 15 is at the head of Reid Hollow on a
      current land map. Reid Hollow lies between Grays Chapel and
      Francisco. All this land is two to three miles south of the
      Alabama-Tennessee line. This is why it was closer and more convenient
      for Holden Hill and Paulina/Pauline Cook to obtain a marriage license in
      Franklin County, TN, in 1845, than to travel 35-40 miles east to old
      Bellefonte (then county seat of Jackson County) to obtain their marriage
      license.
      I found Holden Hill on the 1840, 1850, 1860, and 1870 Jackson County, AL
      censuses.
      1850 Jackson County, AL, Family 292: Holden Hill, age 37, born SC,
      Paulina, age 24, Mary, age 4, Sarah, age 2
      In 1850, Holden and Paulina/Pauline Hill lived next door to Thomas Hill,
      age 32, who married Mary A. Duboise. Mary Hill, age 75, born NC, was
      living with Thomas and Mary A. Hill and their children. I suspect
      Thomas is Holden's younger brother and Mary, age 75 is their Mother.
      Most likely Mary is the widow of Richard Hill, Sr. who died before 1850.
      In 1860, Holden was enumerated as age 50, and his wife as age 32. Their
      children were: Polly (nickname for Mary), age 12; Sally (nickname for
      Sarah), age 10; Elizabeth, age 8, THOMAS, age 6; Louisa, age 4; and
      infant, age 3/12 or 5/12 (number was almost illegible on census). This
      unnamed infant would have been Holden's son Richard Hill.
      In 1870, Holden Hill was age 60 and Paulina was shown as age 45, born
      VA. Their children shown in 1870 were: Sallie, age 22; THOMAS, age 16;
      Louisa, age 14' Richard, age 11; Wiley, age 9; Reuben, age 3; and John
      D, age 1.
      PAINT ROCK VALLEY PIONEERS, page 212, (Bostick Hill Cemetery
      inscriptions) includes the grave marker inscription for Wiley and Mary
      (Brewer) Hill as:
      Wiley A. Hill, born June 11, 1861, died November 9, 1935
      Mary (Brewer) Hill, born Dec 23, 1863, died Apr 13, 1924
      Bostick Hill Cemetery is located between Princeton and Estill Fork about
      2 miles north of Alabama Hwy 65, in Township 2, Range 4 East, Section
      2. Also buried in the Bostick Hill Cemetery are: Ada Elizabeth Hill,
      born June 17, 1896, died April 9, 1925; Bob Hill, born Feb 22, 1910,
      died July 9, 1941; and Emma Hill Morris, born Aug 6, 1879, died Sept 26,
      1958. These Hills are buried next to William T. and Frona Duboise.
      There are 7 Hills markers in the Beech Grove Cemetery which is in
      Franciso and located just south of the Tennessee Line and adjacent to
      Alabama Hwy 65. The latest Hill death (among these 7 Hill markers)
      bears the date September 7, 1967.
      NOTE 1: Don't be fooled by the Big Coon Post Office on the 1870
      census. Holden Hill DID NOT LIVE in Big Coon per se. The man who
      took the 1870 census was in charge of the area ranging from Big Coon
      Valley to the Jackson-Madison County border for Townships 1 and 2. IF
      you look at microfilm for actual 1870 census, you will find COLLINS BEAT
      18written above Big Coon Post Office. COLLINS BEAT 18 WAS the actual
      geographic location where Holden Hill's family lived.
      NOTE 2 to BILLY HILL: YOU MUST DRIVE Alabama Highway 65 that traverses
      Paint Rock Valley while you are in Jackson County. This is the home of
      your Hill and Brewer ancestors. Regretfully, I do not know anyone in
      that area that might connect with your families. My advice is to stop
      at one or more of the country stores along this route, introduce
      yourself, and ask if anyone knows of living in the neighborhood who
      might remember or know of someone still living who has connections to
      your Hill family.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • billy hill
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
        dear ann chambless, thank you so much for the information. that was a considerable addition to what anyone here in texas knew about the hill family. there are near 150 relatives who live here. our hill family reunion draws about 125 each year. i will share this information with them. thank you again. billy hill

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
          Billy,

          My name is Billy Joe Cagle and I own and live in the area you refer to. Holden Hill settled in this area as you and Ann described. Property to the south is owned by Wally Kirkpatrick and Mrs. Avery. One of the corners, on the border, of their property starts at the Thomas Hill Spring. I am sure this is your Thomas.

          Valentine Cagle started to purchase property?in sec.17?in 1852. Valentine was my GGGrandfather. I am on my first cup this A M but will look up info later.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
            thank you for trying to help us find out about our family. billy hill

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
              Also, Billy, that drive she suggested is a beautiful one. You will not
              regret it. Bring a camera.

              --
              Warmest Regards,
              Robin Little

              dear ann chambless, thank you so much for the information. that was a
              considerable addition to what anyone here in texas knew about the hill
              family. there are near 150 relatives who live here. our hill family reunion
              draws about 125 each year. i will share this information with them. thank
              you again. billy hill

            • Alta Fae Brown
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
                Ann,

                In the 1840 Jackson County census Holden and Richard are living next to each
                other, both are about the same age (30 to 40), in Richard's household is a
                woman in the 70-80 years of age group, is there also a Richard, son of the
                Richard you believe is the father of Holden, did he die before the 1840
                census?

> [...]
                > took the 1870 census was in charge of the area ranging from Big Coon
                > Valley to the Jackson-Madison County border for Townships 1 and 2. IF
                > you look at microfilm for actual 1870 census, you will find COLLINS BEAT
                > 18written above Big Coon Post Office. COLLINS BEAT 18 WAS the actual
                > geographic location where Holden Hill's family lived.
                > NOTE 2 to BILLY HILL: YOU MUST DRIVE Alabama Highway 65 that traverses
                > Paint Rock Valley while you are in Jackson County. This is the home of
                > your Hill and Brewer ancestors. Regretfully, I do not know anyone in
                > that area that might connect with your families. My advice is to stop
                > at one or more of the country stores along this route, introduce
                > yourself, and ask if anyone knows of living in the neighborhood who
                > might remember or know of someone still living who has connections to

              • Alta Fae Brown
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Bob Hill, born Feb 22, 1910,
                  died July 9, 1941;

                  Alabama Death Index has the date as the 3rd of July, is the 9th his burial
                  date?
                • Alta Fae Brown
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
                    Emma Hill Morris, born Aug 6, 1879, died Sept 26,
                    1958. Is this also a daughter of Wiley (one census William) also?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
                        bill , thank you for the great information. i know the brewers are part of the family but i dont know any of them. ill find mr brewer when i get to paint rock valley. thanks again    bill hill