Re: HARDY DOYAL

  • hiter.richard@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2009
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless"
      <rabc123@...> wrote:

      > HARDY DOYAL, born circa 1779 in Virginia, died in old Bolivar in
      Jackson
      > County, AL, in 1833 or 1834. He had moved to Bolivar from Franklin Co,
      > TN. Hardy Doyal was a merchant in both Franklin Co, TN, and old
      > Bolivar. He possibly served in the Seminole Indian War as he was
      called
      > Captain Hardy Doyal in his divorce papers filed in October 1819 in
      > Franklin Co, TN. On March 30, 1830, Hardy Doyle made a claim to the
      > U.S. Congress for "a claim rising out of the Seminole War." I do not
      > know if this was for personal injury or because he furnished supplies
      > for the troops.
      > Hardy Doyal married Betsy S. Lumkin in October 1807 while living in
      > Georgia. (Betsy Lumkin was probably his second wife). In 1815, they
      > moved to Stone Fort in Franklin County, TN. Hardy Doyal built a mill
      > on public land before 1824 in the area that became Bolivar BUT was
      first
      > called Doyal's Mill. Hardy Doyal was postmaster at Doyal's Mill in
      > 1825 and appointed a justice of the peace in 1826 and again in 1829.
      > About the time of his death, the name of the post office was changed
      > from Doyal's Mill to Bolivar, Alabama.
      > I am writing about old Bolivar and its early settlers for the Jackson
      > County Historical Association. CAN ANYONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT HARDY
      > DOYAL or about old Bolivar?
      > Ann B. Chambless

      I have absolutely no connection to Hardy Doyal. However, in 1815 I
      believe that parts of Franklin County, Tennessee, included what is now
      part of Coffee County, Tennessee [became a county in 1836]. Outside of
      Manchester, Coffee County, Tennessee, lies what is known as the Old
      Stone Fort, now a state park but once a 'place'. Are you sure that the
      mill that Hardy Doyal built wasn't on the Duck River, Stone Fort,
      current Coffee County instead of Bolivar, Tennessee/Alabama? You refer
      to Doyal's Mill in Franklin County, Tennessee becoming Bolivar, Alabama,
      but that doesn't seem geographically possible. I don't mean to question
      your research, and know that you kn ow far more about this than do I, in
      terms of having researched this Hardy Doyal. Just curious. Marty Hiter