Re: [jacksongenealogy] LEGAL AGE FOR MARRIAGE

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2009
      This is what I found when I looked on the internet about the legal age of marriage:

      In the United States, all but two states require a couple be age 18 in order to marry without parental consent.

      Nebraska sets the age at 19 and Mississippi at 21 at the time of this writing (May 2003). A few states will waive this requirement if there is a pregnancy involved, but the couple may still have to have court approval.

      Alabama: If either of you are under 18, you will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. Both parents must be present with identification, or if you have a legal guardian they must be present with a court order and identification. If one or both parents are deceased, proper evidence of such must be provided. Individuals under the age of 14 may not marry.

      **Of course these rules did not apply back in 1870 I'm sure.

      Jewel

      From: TOM F DUNKLIN <dunk1432@...>
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] LEGAL AGE FOR MARRIAGE
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 11:41 AM

      Clay,
      Is there any place on the web that you know of that shows each state's legal age for marriage? My great gfather, Abraham/Abram Wilson married Sarah Jane Nesmith in Lawrence county AL in 1870 and a note was sent to that probate judge giving the judge permission for him to marry. He was 18 at the time. This note was signed by an H W Crosby/Cosby and S E Crosby/Cosby. The copy of the note I have show the names and it looks like Crosby but after much hunting, it turns out that the note was written by Sarah Crosby who is living next door to my grandfather on the 1870 Morgan Co AL census. In later years, Sarah and Hugh W Crosby actually became Cosby on most records. I've been trying to either prove or disprove that this Hugh W. Crosby/Cosby was Uriah Cosby but doubt that I'll ever be able to do so. Anyway, I have to wonder why, if old Abe was 18, he needed authorization from any one to marry. Maybe the legal age in Lawrence or Morgan Co was 21?

      Thanks for any help.

      Paula