Ins and Outs of Genealogy

  • grandmother6@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17 3:45 PM
      "I would still rather know than not know."
      Me too. Write it just as it is good or bad..No reflections from one on another....My ancestors cannot make me a better person, neither can they make me worse.....Pat B..
    • jackman_0645
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18 2:53 AM
        I definately agree in the case of my grandfather JA Treece though he left jail on a public intoxication charge as a young man and went in the army he was a brave soldier with many awards and decorations. He served in the Argonne Forest and the Rock of Marne Campaign was a good business man and was well respected in his comunity. It was a great deal of his influence that prompted me to seek a career in the military and later in Law enforcement. I am proud of my ancesters for all the hardships and struggles. They were not quitters and persevered raising famlies.
        John L. Hamilton
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "grandmother6@..." <grandmother6@...> wrote:

        > "I would still rather know than not know."
        > Me too. Write it just as it is good or bad..No reflections from one on another....My ancestors cannot make me a better person, neither can they make me worse.....Pat B..

      • T'Lene
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18 11:53 AM
          This reminds me of some sage advise a gentleman shared with me at the Chattanooga Library when I was a just beginning my family tree research.

          I had learned of a less than honorable thing an ancestor had done and when I mentioned it to this gentleman, he replied, "It doesn't matter who or what your grandparent was or did. What truly matters is what or who their grandchild does or is." In other words, I can't change anything about someone else. I only have control over who I am and what I do.

          btw, My great grandmother was Savannah Treece (daughter of Jonathan & Susannah (maiden name unknown by me) Treece. Jonathan died at the Battle of Chickamauga. Two of his sons, Daniel Alexander "Elick" Treece and John Treece fought in the Civil War, as well. "Elick" became high sheriff of St Clair Co., AL. John died was captured at Battle of Missionary Ridge and taken to Rock Island Prison Camp in Illinois where he died shortly thereafter.

          I have many pressing matters presently but will resume my research toward the middle of October. I am ever so impressed with everyone's vast resources and the eagerness to share with all. Many thanks.
          T'Lene Bryant Tillotson