Re: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service Database Question

  • Mark Klan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2009
      I just had a record search done at ADAH for a great-great-
      grandfather. As shown in their reference request form at
      http://archives.state.al.us/referenc/sim.asp, you specify up to four
      types of records for them to search (one of which can be Confederate
      Pension Applications).

      It's a "crap shoot". I received about 4 pages of useful info,
      including the application and the disposition (approval). In my
      case, the applicant was my g-g-grandfather, and the info needed and
      provided was rather limited. My impression is that if a widow made
      application, more info was required in the application, and that
      *might* prove more useful. You pay your money ($25 or $15), and you
      take your chances... :-)

      You might think of it as paying for the search activity itself, not
      for any particular output, which is unknown until the search is
      completed. My impression is that their search is thorough and they
      send you whatever is available, up to a limit of 20 pages for the
      initial fee. Additional pages above 20 cost 25 cents per page.

      Hope this helps.

      Mark